heres the deal. I play my own stuff. No covers. Influences are Hendrix, Fruscuanti, Josh Homme, Matt Bellamy. Right now I have a double humbucker with coil taps. Does pretty well. Im not into brand names as far as being cool with a fender type thing. Just sound.

I need a new guitar tho. What would fit. Strat cleans are the deal but I also want that heavy tone. I play with alot of distortion mostly but clean 1/3 songs.

I am looking for the best pickups combo for a strat. Plz dont say hss. bc i want fruciante od tone. And he has sss. Ive heard get symour duncan ssl1 but have only heard them on cleans. perfect for cleans.

all help is welcome.
Quote by treysonpwaters
heres the deal. I play my own stuff. No covers. Influences are Hendrix, Fruscuanti, Josh Homme, Matt Bellamy. Right now I have a double humbucker with coil taps. Does pretty well. Im not into brand names as far as being cool with a fender type thing. Just sound.

I need a new guitar tho. What would fit. Strat cleans are the deal but I also want that heavy tone. I play with alot of distortion mostly but clean 1/3 songs.

I am looking for the best pickups combo for a strat. Plz dont say hss. bc i want fruciante od tone. And he has sss. Ive heard get symour duncan ssl1 but have only heard them on cleans. perfect for cleans.

all help is welcome.

I have a mexican strat and I use hotrails, vintage rails and cool rails. I coil tap them all and it works for me. The vintage rails isn't balanced for a lefty in single mode though thats my only pitfall with that set up. Or you could just have a hotrails at the bridge and scn fender singles in the middle and neck position. Make sure you coil tap the hotrails though.
what about an HSS with a coil tap?

otherwise id suggest a 60s strat...such as the classic player. what is your budget?
I recommend:
Suhr FL are great with OD and have sparkly cleans. Very versatile.
Fender CS 69 very Hendrixy pickups, and a lot of quack. Handle OD well but no RW/RP middle pickup.

If you really want the best, go for Handwound pickups.
Lindy Fralin, Chevalier, Rocketfire, and Lollar are great guys.
Don't go for Hum-Cancelling, they wont give you that Vintage real strat sound that Hendrix and John have. Kinmans and Dimarzios are the closest to Stratty sound with hum-cancelling.
budget 1000 usd including guitar. i have MIM strat now btw. around 1998, sucks tbhwu, cleans are close...i just dont know how frusciante gets that killer high gain tone. I mean i know the amps effects etc. just what pickups bc when i play my mim strat on dirty, and i have some gear and pedals similar to his (not as good as his but i have gear). and not making a comparison as far as price wise. it just isn't close. at all, high gain/sustian tone wise.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by cisco444
I recommend:
Suhr FL are great with OD and have sparkly cleans. Very versatile.
Fender CS 69 very Hendrixy pickups, and a lot of quack. Handle OD well but no RW/RP middle pickup.

If you really want the best, go for Handwound pickups.
Lindy Fralin, Chevalier, Rocketfire, and Lollar are great guys.

sorry but idk what rw rp is? reverse wound and... ill check out those you mentioned. I really like Fralins but i just can't find an od sound demo.and they are like 250 usd so to bu wo knowing the sound seems wild. I just want that clean tone with alot of sustained high gain leads. almost a strat clean and a gibson dirty. i konw the difference so with hold those comments. I also know the tone from fingers comment thing i usually get. Ive learned guitar only from Hendrix and john f. with self teaching. I have the technique about as down as you can. its just strat with badass im having trouble with. How does frusciante do it. is that only gear and not guitar. btw i have a wah and a fuzz. big muff. and a high gain amp. strictly a pickups question.

sorry for double post
i think it means reverse wound/reverse polarity

basically when selecting 2 pickups it has a humbucker effect, removing hum
Get an HSS an swap the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan SH-3 Stag Mag maybe.
It is a humbucker which can be split to a "real" single coil.
Other than that just get an SSS Strat with some hotter single coils.
Whatever you do, for the stuff you want from one guitar you will have to compromise something.
see jesus^ thats what i was leaningn toward hss-as i finally have the money for a MIA strat. its just froosh gets that super high gain almost metal solo tone then gets that super clean strat quack clean. always with an sss. is it more amp then? btw i have a marshall jcm 900 combo and a peavey valveking 212.
get a seymour duncan ssl-1 in neck and middle and ssl-5 in bridge. The ssl-5 is a hotter ssl-1.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
The thing to consider is when you play at volumes like Frusciante even the weakest single coil will sustain for a long time and sound huge thanks to those tubes. You need a tube amp, preferably a marshall. Call Chevalier pickups (Canada) tell him what you want and he'll make those pickups for you, if you don't like them you can return them and get you money back. Don't get very high output pickups because they won't sound vintage. Since you said you're getting a MIM, I say go to you local music shop and try all the mim strats there. See which one has the best tone, even acoutically and also the resonance and sustain. Any questions dude, just hit me up.
also froosh uses a ds-2 boss and big muff pi for leads. You gotta have you amp close to breaking point to get that clean but ballsy tone he has.
sorry for dp....but its seeming the more questions i ask the more it is vintage non master volume pot marshall and not pickups. i just figured i have the pedals and amps to really get as much or more gain then necessary. should the answer be get a plexie for 3gS lol. Not possible. someone has to have that opening act rhcp jam tone or fruxciantes playing almost ripping off hendrix. the music i write is just begging for it. SUPER hot strat tone.
slow typer lol....can't get back to rehearsal space w my tube amp for a while. but I have found playing with amp gain is more sustain than w the cleans. This amp blasts and seven is louder than my drummer and he drums hard. former metal drummer. so shud i use cleans high volme with said pedals.
Quote by cisco444
also froosh uses a ds-2 boss and big muff pi for leads. You gotta have you amp close to breaking point to get that clean but ballsy tone he has.

exactly....best description i have heard of his tone so far and i have been playing guitar trying to get that tone for a while.....lol may not seem that with these questions as i recently dove into metal and sweeping and stuff and realised it just isnt as cool as a sweet sweet tone andf well place notes. no disrespect for sweepers. bc its mad hard and im proud i can do it. just not my style.

sorry for long post , just venting. lol
but thats what i want.
Quote by treysonpwaters
exactly....best description i have heard of his tone so far and i have been playing guitar trying to get that tone for a while.....lol may not seem that with these questions as i recently dove into metal and sweeping and stuff and realised it just isnt as cool as a sweet sweet tone andf well place notes. no disrespect for sweepers. bc its mad hard and im proud i can do it. just not my style.

sorry for long post , just venting. lol
but thats what i want.

Lol, im glad it answered your question. The reason i noe is cuz froosh is one of my favorite guitarist and always tells me that you dont have to b a virtuoso 2 b great.
What matters the most is touching peoples hearts. Whether is a nice bending note or a cool groove. Sweeping, economy picking, legato and all that are great techniques but not that important to make good music. sweeping imo should only be done if you noe every note your playing and if its in context.

Anyways, great post man.
This is one of my favorite lead tones from froosh. the solo is so pure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiszjnUMEjY

STRATS RULE BTW!!!
Quote by cisco444
Lol, im glad it answered your question. The reason i noe is cuz froosh is one of my favorite guitarist and always tells me that you dont have to b a virtuoso 2 b great.
What matters the most is touching peoples hearts. Whether is a nice bending note or a cool groove. Sweeping, economy picking, legato and all that are great techniques but not that important to make good music. sweeping imo should only be done if you noe every note your playing and if its in context.

Anyways, great post man.
This is one of my favorite lead tones from froosh. the solo is so pure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiszjnUMEjY

STRATS RULE BTW!!!

you wanna get married? lol jk...i literally woke up one day wanted an rhcp tat. was at the tat shop googling pics for them to do and saw frooshs tat in the samws spot i wanted mine. their music is just like therapy to me. its just that tone arghh lol. i can do it w my guitar now just not the cleans. im on a wild search lol bc i just got some cash to spend.
I watch his interview saying how music exsist you just have to find it and blah blah on my part i cud put on but. myself im all about the tunes not the difficulty of the guitar part. the melody, the tune, froosh outside of jimmy just is un stoppable. i just can't get my mim to go crazy like his a jimmys do. just cant. almost like i have to play it switch guitars play the solo and switch back.lol.....not realistic. not a fanboy either ...that is just good shit. ya know .
Well I know in John's 62' sunburst strat he does have seymour duncan antiquities, so I suggest looking for them. There are two types I think surf and texas hot or something like that, the surf ones are more glassy and the texas hot have more bite to them. Guitar wise I suggest going for a Classic 60's series Fender stratocaster - they have the small radius neck, vintage trem etc. I suggest you try it first, it does hum abit like most strats but you could try shielding it.

You've already got a good amp I just suggest getting a DS-2 and some type of chorus pedal maybe check these websites out they will help you find pretty much everything you need - jftab.com and Invisible-movement.net
Quote by treysonpwaters
sorry for dp....but its seeming the more questions i ask the more it is vintage non master volume pot marshall and not pickups. i just figured i have the pedals and amps to really get as much or more gain then necessary. should the answer be get a plexie for 3gS lol. Not possible. someone has to have that opening act rhcp jam tone or fruxciantes playing almost ripping off hendrix. the music i write is just begging for it. SUPER hot strat tone.
I'm guessing you mean this intro?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsx90kjMyeg

He may have used a Mosrite Fuzzrite here, as it sounds similar to what I've heard from that pedal, it seems to give that harsh tone, but you can also get it from a BMP. You can probably get somewhat similar tone to that using those pedals with most amps.
He uses a Silver Jubilee 25/55 for leads (100w) and a Marshall Major for cleans (200w).
He uses a MXR Micro Amp to get some dirty lead tones.

His guitar has vintage pickups (Duncans, Antiquity? It was mentioned it was 'vintage' and closely resembled a 60's pickup, so much that it was mistaken for one). I can nail that tone with my antiquity set, and although I'm using an amp sim, it's pretty damn close.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by cisco444
Don't go for Hum-Cancelling, they wont give you that Vintage real strat sound that Hendrix and John have. Kinmans and Dimarzios are the closest to Stratty sound with hum-cancelling.

Lace Sensor are noiseless and retain the strat sound just get the gold or hot gold set to retain the old strat sound.
that is the intro lol....sick shit.

and hansolo

those sound pretty sick you are correct. However I there is know website for these or store, and from some strat forum I just read they are like 300 plus dollars with an 18-20 week waiting period as this guy winds em by hand one by one.

worth the look, that may be more expensive than I want to go.

I'm hearing usually the way to go is (no particular order)

-SD SSL1 calif. 50's
-SD SSL 5
-SD Antiquties
-Lace Sensors

the a couple I haven't heard you guys named hear.

Damn! lol....guess I have to hunting. Or get two guitars ehh
I use an Dimarzio Dual Sound and Fender Texas Special Singel Coils on my strat.
And it handels OD really well, aswell as cleans