Hey guys Ive been playing guitar on and off for a few years so im still sort of at a low intermediate stage and want to improve my skills through practice

My main goal I want to achieve is play the rhythm parts of the music I listen to (rock - Metal) so I know I have to practice speed but what else should I practice, should I just practice playing the songs I want to play or do exercises?

The other reason Im asking this is because with the workload I have I usually dont have alot of time to practice so I usually have to try fit my practice into a half hour gap so want to try get max results from my short practice what can I do to achieve this.

P.S. Sorry If this post is hard to understand im bad at english......................
My view on exercises vs songs is mostly practice songs, if you´re haveing problem with something, isolate that problem and make a exercise of it.

That´s just my 2 cents, good luck
My view on exercises vs songs is mostly practice songs, if you´re haveing problem with something, isolate that problem and make a exercise of it.

+1

I also have the same issue as you with workload - last year of school :-\ - I just try to learn a tab of a song I like, and then start playing along with the song (I can plug my iPod into my amp, which helps here).
I find that, by learning through playing new songs, you learn new skills you can apply in other songs, while also learning specific songs you love to play. You're shooting two birds with one stone, if you get my meaning, which means you don't have to practice as long.

Just my opinion though, there are probably better ideas out there.
Learn the songs you want to play, youll get something from every song youll play.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.