Anyway, he's set on an Ibanez SR 206.
But he's undecided on amp.

Budget for amp- 400-600$

Genres- Metal, NWOBHM, and Progressive.

Mostly Maiden and Dream Theater.

Available amps-
Hartke, Laney, Warwick, Roland.

Suggestions?

EDIT: The Marshall MB series is also there, but the name is too similar to the MG any relation?
I played the Marshall MB head and was really satisfied with it. With the solid state and the tube channel (not to mention the blend option) it is a very versatile amp especially if you look at the price tag. I would recommend it.

Warwick ProFet series is not bad but they do not have the output level as other amps with the same wattage. I used a ProFet 3.2 before my Marshall and even though they are both in the 300-350W range their power can not be compared. I could hardly hear myself sometimes with the Warwick but never had to turn the Marshall up higher than level 2-3 with the same cab, same band, same rehearsal place etc.

Hartke is not bad either (I only played it a couple of times at gigs) but I prefer the Marshall because its versatility.

Never tried Laneys but have not heard anything good about them yet :S
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Out of those? Hartke.

The more modern Laney stuff is shakey and a bit budget-ish... some of the older second hand stuff from the 80's is quite good though.

Roland are just... well... no; you don't want a Roland bass amp.

Warwick, I don't have a great deal of experience with, but from what I gather their bass amps are a bit of a love or hate thing; try them out first, because not many people seem to get on with them.

Avoid that Marshall MB gear. No idea whether it's connected to the MG gear (I don't know guitar equipment much) but I've played through an MB stack and it was pretty bad. The construction looked weak, it was extremely noisy, and no matter what I did with the EQ it just sounded too glassy.

I've played through a few Hartke amps and I quite like them; they sound especially good in a band setting.

Another pointer to make, the genre that you're playing has little bearing on what bass amp you should get. They're different to guitar amps; they aren't tailored towards a particular genre, rather just a particular sound. Some will colour your tone brighter, some darker, some will warm it up valve style, and others will try to be as transparent as possible so as to allow the sound of your actual bass to come through.

It's up to you which of these tones you actually want to go for; in pretty much any genre of music you will find bass players going for all of these different kind of tones, and making it work for them. It's not about the kind of music you're playing, just the sound you want for your particular band.
I've got a ProFet, it's nothing amazing tonally but it's built like a tank, very modern sounding amp in many ways.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you're gigging with it I wouldn't recommend the combo.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
A giggable combo won't be any differenly sized from a giggable halfstack of the same brand/type.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
The hydrives are very good. Too trebly for my liking though. What amps from those brands are you looking at. Will you be gigging and have pa support for amps etc.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've got a Laney RB8 and its definatly loud enough to gig with. It filled a good size venue with out the help of a PA. Theres nothing wrong with combos, though there are elitists that wouldn't gig with them, but stuff 'em. As long as its 300w or over so the crowd can hear it it doesn't matter, every venue around me runs the bass through the PA as well so you could gig with a 150w if you wanted.
Basically the amp should be loud enough for practice. ALl gigs will be with a PA.
The HyDrives are decent then? So's the RB-8? Wont the combo be easier to transport?
Another thing, do these amps run on 240V or 110?

Ok. I'll keep all this in mind and keep him away from the shittier amps thanks you guys!
Combos of a high wattage lead to problems in transport. Amps are heavy, speaker cabinets are heavy. Combining them only makes them heavier.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Hydrive combos are pretty good little amps, pretty transparent though so don't expect alot of colouration on the basses "natural tone". Which specific HyDrive combo were you looking at? I wouldn't really recommend gigging in a metal band with a single 12" speaker.
Those Marshall MBs are total garbage they even struggle with the low E of a bass so forget putting a 5/6 string into it.
I've got a lot of love for the ProFets and they should be cheap as chips now they're discontinued, it only happened recently so there'll be a lot of old stock floating around still. Sounded great to me through Warwick's 610 and 410 cabs and the inbuilt compression actually does it's job really well. They were a realy great "bang for buck" head that never really got the attention they deserved. I'd go the 5.2 over the 3.2 however. Regarding Warwick's combos I don't think any of the old ones have giggable volume (someone feel free to correct me on that), but the new one's that are being released very soon, the BCs go upto about 300 watts iirc. We have an RRP of about $400 AUD on the 80 watter so elsewhere they're probably going to be a lot cheaper.
Combo vs Head - Cab is his choice I guess, but what gilly said was right.
Regarding voltage a lot of amps these days have multi-tapped transformers, allowing them to be run at either 110v or 230-240v, sometimes the switch is on the outside of the amp, sometimes on the inside, if it's on the inside it'll take a tech about a minute to flip it over no worries.

Quote by ChemicalFire
Combos of a high wattage lead to problems in transport. Amps are heavy, speaker cabinets are heavy. Combining them only makes them heavier.

Tell that to Markbass and any other manufacturer that makes digital amps and neodymium speakers.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jun 2, 2011,
My RB8 weights less then a 60w marshall guitar amp. Best thing to do is go in to a shop and play some. Its fine us telling you what to do but you have to play with them and lug them around. Combos, like all amps, are getting lighter especially the solidstate combos, tubes still seem to weight a ton.
Quote by consecutive e

Tell that to Markbass and any other manufacturer that makes digital amps and neodymium speakers.

I'm talking in general, I know Markbass and others make tiiiiny little amps that weigh next to nothing. But most companies are not like that.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Gallien Krueger, Genz Benz, EA, Orange, Ampeg, Fender and probably a plethora of others I've forgotten.
Everyone's jumping on the micro-head bandwagon.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by ChemicalFire

He's still insisting on a combo his back I honestly dont give a damn so long as he plays properly and sounds good doing it.

Quote by consecutive e
Hydrive combos are pretty good little amps, pretty transparent though so don't expect alot of colouration on the basses "natural tone". Which specific HyDrive combo were you looking at? I wouldn't really recommend gigging in a metal band with a single 12" speaker.
Those Marshall MBs are total garbage they even struggle with the low E of a bass so forget putting a 5/6 string into it.
I've got a lot of love for the ProFets and they should be cheap as chips now they're discontinued, it only happened recently so there'll be a lot of old stock floating around still. Sounded great to me through Warwick's 610 and 410 cabs and the inbuilt compression actually does it's job really well. They were a realy great "bang for buck" head that never really got the attention they deserved. I'd go the 5.2 over the 3.2 however. Regarding Warwick's combos I don't think any of the old ones have giggable volume (someone feel free to correct me on that), but the new one's that are being released very soon, the BCs go upto about 300 watts iirc. We have an RRP of about $400 AUD on the 80 watter so elsewhere they're probably going to be a lot cheaper.
Combo vs Head - Cab is his choice I guess, but what gilly said was right.
Regarding voltage a lot of amps these days have multi-tapped transformers, allowing them to be run at either 110v or 230-240v, sometimes the switch is on the outside of the amp, sometimes on the inside, if it's on the inside it'll take a tech about a minute to flip it over no worries.

I was thinking of the 112 HyDrive.....the 500 something dollar one.

The Warwick combo I ahd in mind was 150W....enough?

Quote by consecutive e
Gallien Krueger, Genz Benz, EA, Orange, Ampeg, Fender and probably a plethora of others I've forgotten.

Out of those, Orange is the only one available bass wise and its a tiny little 25W combo.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e

I was looking at a TC Electronic bass amp to replace my Warwick, considering Tech21 aren't selling the Ampeg clone head in the UK.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
^ That amp's essentially a VT Bass in front a power amp, just get a VT Bass Deluxe and a cheap power amp if you want that set up. You'll be able to get more than the lousy 300 watts they're offering too.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
Out of those, Orange is the only one available bass wise and its a tiny little 25W combo.

I wasn't recommending them per-say, just making a point. Most of those offerings would be out of your budget anyway.
Where are you located that has such a limited supply of brands? Have you considered ordering something online?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Dude, a little bit more money, and you can get some serious power. I've been playing for 25 years. Growing up, Steve Harris was my idol. I can play any Maiden tune. I play through a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II. It's pushing an SWR Workingman's Tower (8x10). It sounds deep, rich, and incredibly clean. It's versatile. It can be set up to sound pretty much however you want. Plus, it will make your BONES rattle! When I crank it up, shit falls from the ceiling. No exaggeration! I freaking love my rig. I sold my Ampeg setup for my current one. You could probably get my head and cab used for about 800-900 bucks for the pair. Your bassist would be set for a long time. Whatever you do, be patient. And, don't settle!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jun 2, 2011,
Sorry, man. I didn't catch your location.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"