My boyfriend has been playing guitar on a daily basis for 10+ years. Here lately, if he plays continuously for several hours, he's been getting really bad blisters (not sure if that's even the right word) and they get really hard and white on his finger pads. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or any suggestions? Thanks everyone!
i get that to its just coz of the strings and your fingers toughen up to wistand the strings
or somethin like tht its just 4 protection
Blisters: http://www.spookclub.com/images/fingerblister.jpg

Calluses: http://adsofcraigslist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2009_0111fingertips0003.jpg

Calluses: good (although just for guitar purposes, dunno if the ladies are too fond of 'em if you know what I mean...)
Blisters: bad (trust me, if they're blisters he'll know because his fingers'll start hurting like m*therf*ckers, and that's BEFORE they even start filling up with pus)

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well if he's been playing that long, and the calluses start showing now, it's probably because his hands are dry. No, water doesn't solve it. He'll need something else, I'm sure you have something for dry hands.
Blisters?
He'll have to take a break from playing guitar for abit, if they fill with puss, they'll have to be popped with a pin or needle (Sure you can help him with that ha ha ha) and during recovery, use lighter guage string's in a lower tuning for less tension.

On an unrelated note, just curious, do you play guitar or did you just make an account to ask this question.. (LOL LOL hahah).
Anyway Welcome to Ultimate Guitar forum.
Our members will help you to play such classic songs such as:

METAL!
Quote by shwilly
Blisters: http://www.spookclub.com/images/fingerblister.jpg

Calluses: http://adsofcraigslist.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2009_0111fingertips0003.jpg

Calluses: good (although just for guitar purposes, dunno if the ladies are too fond of 'em if you know what I mean...)
Blisters: bad (trust me, if they're blisters he'll know because his fingers'll start hurting like m*therf*ckers, and that's BEFORE they even start filling up with pus)

His fingers look exactly like the link you posted for Calluses.. but they hurt really bad.. I mean he's never stopped playing for a long period of time for as long as I have know him.. I know that you're supposed to get this as a beginner but we just dont understand why he's getting them after playing after all these years...

Do you have any suggestions that could help? Or does anyone have an idea of why this would be happening for someone who's been playing for years?
Quote by Ultraussie
Blisters?
He'll have to take a break from playing guitar for abit, if they fill with puss, they'll have to be popped with a pin or needle (Sure you can help him with that ha ha ha) and during recovery, use lighter guage string's in a lower tuning for less tension.

On an unrelated note, just curious, do you play guitar or did you just make an account to ask this question.. (LOL LOL hahah).
Anyway Welcome to Ultimate Guitar forum.
Our members will help you to play such classic songs such as:

thanks for the welcome.. I am currently learning to play the guitar.. I am a writer and can't take not being able to play and help along in the music side of creating a song.. It's a work in progress! We were actually working on a song tonight and about to pick back up on teaching me some things and his fingertips were hurting so bad so I finally decided to figure out if anyone else knew anything! Lol.. Ran across this site and liked it a lot! So here I am!
When my calluses get really thick they can start hurting. There will be an indentation in the middle of it and I guess that the edges are pinching. I don't think it has ever been as bad as you are describing. I find that mine get softer after being in the pool or doing dishes where they have kind of soaked for a while. Then, they will naturally fall off (I usually mess with them a little). Seems like it helps get back down to the normal skin and start building a new callus. It doesn't feel like you start the whole process over either. I don't usually notice while the new one is forming. Anyway, something to think about or try
I didn't realise calluses can fall off. Although I've never really had them that much even though I play quite a bit - weird..