Hey guys, new gear day...soon. It's a couple weeks out but still. I've recently purchased a used Dual Rec 3 channel solo head which should be at my house later today. I also just bought a ENGL E212VH cab to go with it, very pricey, but I think it should fit the sound I'm looking for no problem.

I'm on my way home from Iraq, and I couldn't pass up the deal for the Mesa on ebay, and the ENGL was a little more researched than an impulse purchase, but close to.
So with that said I wasn't able to test out the cab for the Mesa, I just had to go off detailed descriptions for that cab along with the characteristics of the V30's it's loaded with.

Do any of you guys have experience with Mesa heads and ENGL cabs? I'm hoping for my 'grail' tone, which should be a considerable upgrade from my 6505 212. I hardly go past 4 on my Peavey's preamp gain, especially in the studio as I know gain is cumulative. So the Mesa should have a pretty conservative gain set to it. (I love how the gain sounds, not the amount it has)

I guess I'm just asking if there are any known issues between the two, anything I should take into consideration when recording with either of them, obvious things they're both notorious for?

Any comments are appreciated.

Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Should sound awesome

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ agreed. they should balance out pretty well, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Should rape that 6505 once you get hold of a boost/EQ pedal

No,

It would just sound different.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Should rape that 6505 once you get hold of a boost/EQ pedal

I have Boss GE-7 I think it's called for EQ, so that's definitely an option.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I know you do

But if I wanted an amp for brutal metal, a 6505 will always be my first choice, anything else, I would probably take the 2/3 Channel Rec. In this instance.

But when you start getting into the territory of higher end amps, they stop being better than the other, just different.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
For that one thing it does well? Yeah I would say so

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
only thing that would make your new rig better would be a mesa cab and they're just seriously pricey, should sound really good dude
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
nah the ENGL cabs are comparable/better.

Its all down to preference

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If its V30 speakers, it should go well with the Recto, particularly since ENGL cabs are fairly solid affairs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Tom 1.0
I know you do

But if I wanted an amp for brutal metal, a 6505 will always be my first choice, anything else, I would probably take the 2/3 Channel Rec. In this instance.

But when you start getting into the territory of higher end amps, they stop being better than the other, just different.

ROAD KING!!!
And an Axe Fx II in 4CM.

^That eeez ze secs.

Quote by shredftw
only thing that would make your new rig better would be a mesa cab and they're just seriously pricey, should sound really good dude

Naaa. The only thing that would make it better would be if he sold the lot and bought a Roadster
You might like it better, you might not. I, personally, cannot stand how muddy 3 channel Rectos are, but they certainly have a bigger sound than the 6505 does. Put some KT-77s in it, if you want it to sound its best
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You might like it better, you might not. I, personally, cannot stand how muddy 3 channel Rectos are, but they certainly have a bigger sound than the 6505 does. Put some KT-77s in it, if you want it to sound its best

What do the KT-77's bring that the EL34's don't do well? Noob question but I haven't dabbled into the world of tubes just yet.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
It should sound good dude I have the same cab and it kills with my rig. Mind you i only bought it because i got a good deal on it haha. (cheaper the oranges etc) I wouldnt personally pay brand new prices for a 2x12 engl cab but it is a VERY good cab.
Quote by StillSoundRG
What do the KT-77's bring that the EL34's don't do well? Noob question but I haven't dabbled into the world of tubes just yet.

haunting mids
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank, Angus. Unfortunately I had to pay new prices since everywhere I looked online, it was like no site even knew ENGL made cabs. So big name websites were the routes I had to go. I'm really looking forward to playing this thing...just gotta get out of this country first...baby steps...

Quote by Dave_Mc
haunting mids

Are you saying that the EL34s are lacking a lot in the mid frequncies? If that's so I might be inclined to get those 77s. I don't want it to sound scooped at all.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Well when i was on a bit a budget when i bought it so.. I was going for the best cab i could find for fairly cheap haha.
Quote by StillSoundRG

Bigger lowend, but with that tighter EL-34 feel. Also seem to have a bit more low mids.

Quote by StillSoundRG
Are you saying that the EL34s are lacking a lot in the mid frequncies? If that's so I might be inclined to get those 77s. I don't want it to sound scooped at all.

No lol, he's trollolololing

6L6s are scooped, EL-34/KT-77s are not, which tightens up the 3 channel Rectos and significantly boosts the clarity on them.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Bigger lowend, but with that tighter EL-34 feel. Also seem to have a bit more low mids.

6L6s are scooped, EL-34/KT-77s are not, which tightens up the 3 channel Rectos and significantly boosts the clarity on them.

where can you get it modded for KT-77s?? sounds like something i might look into....
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
where can you get it modded for KT-77s?? sounds like something i might look into....

It doesn't need to be modded, just flip the switch to EL-34s and put KT-77s in it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It doesn't need to be modded, just flip the switch to EL-34s and put KT-77s in it.

I'm pretty intrigued by that.

Not knowing too much about tubes in general, or specifics about Rectos and their tubes, they come stock with EL34 and 6L6s right? I'm looking at pictures of the back of one that appears to be a newer model (mine is an '09 for reference) and it has the bias switch from 6L6 to EL34. But I'm reading all over forums (from 2006 for what it's worth) that people are 'experimenting' with EL34s in their Rectos.

Like I said before, I just want to get the most out of my amp, and unfortunately I'm not at home to test all these ideas out. But I'd like to get the most information I can now so when I get home I can hit the ground running and have ideas for anything that may need them.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by MatrixClaw

ultimate win has been achieved right here
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm pretty intrigued by that.

Not knowing too much about tubes in general, or specifics about Rectos and their tubes, they come stock with EL34 and 6L6s right? I'm looking at pictures of the back of one that appears to be a newer model (mine is an '09 for reference) and it has the bias switch from 6L6 to EL34. But I'm reading all over forums (from 2006 for what it's worth) that people are 'experimenting' with EL34s in their Rectos.

Like I said before, I just want to get the most out of my amp, and unfortunately I'm not at home to test all these ideas out. But I'd like to get the most information I can now so when I get home I can hit the ground running and have ideas for anything that may need them.

Rectos come stock with 6L6s in them, some people choose to put EL-34s in them, which IMO make a huge difference in the 3 channels, gets it much closer to the 2 channel sound, though it will never have as much clarity. I haven't tried EL-34/KT-77s in a 2 channel though, so I can't comment on how they affect that amp.

Quote by shredftw
ultimate win has been achieved right here

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've heard Recto's sound f**king massive with KT-88's too. KT-77s would be an improvement over EL-34s too IMO.
Quote by StillSoundRG

yeah sorry i was just mucking about. Sorry about that. I've only tried rectos with the stock 6L6s (as far as i know), so I'll defer to MC
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by littlephil
I've heard Recto's sound f**king massive with KT-88's too.

I'm sure they do, but as much as Bob at Eurotubes says this is safe, it is NOT safe to put KT-88s in a stock Recto
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com