First off, I'm a noob in this section.

I currently play a Epi Les Paul. I contemplated buying a left handed American Fender Strat but the job i am in and the way things are in the financial world, things are still shaky for the time being, so it would be too much to spend £1000 just now.

So i came to conclusion that i could revamp my first guitar, the Yamaha Pacifica 112. As i said, i am a noob so bear with me. Finish wise, I will consult the Finishes thread on that matter. For the actual guitar itself, what would be worth replacing and what components should i get in place of them? Obviously i would need a new single coil pick up and pick guard. I would also need to get new tuners. Possibly a new bridge?

Any pointers on components to change or things to look at would be great

Thanks to anyone to decides to help me
The 112 is great for customisation because the wood/neck etc are all decent. The electronics and hardware are worth upgrading though

Pickups are the most obvious upgrade, but the bridge is also important (moreso if you use the whammy bar).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Thanks. I was thinking that the main ones would be the pick ups, the bridge and the tuners. However my knowledge of what to look at is limited. What are recommended bridges to look at? Same goes with the pick ups and tuners.
budget for all your upgrades?
if youve got $400 or so to spend, then most people would recommend bigger name brands for your parts, but i'd suggest going to www.guitarfetish.com a,d looking at the parts they have for everything you say you want to change.
Hah, I play the exact same and was thinking about upgrading my 112J. It's such a great fun guitar to play.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Quote by pa182
First off, I'm a noob in this section.

I currently play a Epi Les Paul. I contemplated buying a left handed American Fender Strat but the job i am in and the way things are in the financial world, things are still shaky for the time being, so it would be too much to spend £1000 just now.

So i came to conclusion that i could revamp my first guitar, the Yamaha Pacifica 112. As i said, i am a noob so bear with me. Finish wise, I will consult the Finishes thread on that matter. For the actual guitar itself, what would be worth replacing and what components should i get in place of them? Obviously i would need a new single coil pick up and pick guard. I would also need to get new tuners. Possibly a new bridge?

Any pointers on components to change or things to look at would be great

Thanks to anyone to decides to help me

The Pacifica is an excellent guitar to upgrade, because the neck and body are great and everything else can be changed. I have done several!

Set aside £50 or so in your budget for a Pro setup (from a reputed guy local to you NOT some muppet at the local guitar shop), fret level and re crown etc as this will make a huge difference to the guitars playability.

As you are in the UK, look at IronGear Pickups. Pig Iron single coils etc and the various Humbuckers.

All of the other parts are available at WD Music.co.uk. Nice Gotoh tuners, bridges, decent PG, CTS pots and Sprague caps etc. They also do Kent Armstrong Pickups.

I can get those items for you should you wish, see my sig...or you can get them yourself.

If you want any advice...just ask.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Odd.. I also play an Epi les paul and have a 112v pacifica I want to mess with...

Any reccomended changes from people with some experience? like more specifically?
New tuners, new bridge, new pickups, new pots and you're done. There are certain things to look out for like the shape of the pickguard if you want to change that, the lower horn is cut deeper than a normal strat body so the pickguard will need reshaping.
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
What gains do you get from changing a bridge?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
A bad bridge can affect tuning and sustain so an upgrade from the stock one is always a good idea on a cheap guitar.
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Wilkinson locking tuners are a great start, as is a Wilkinson bridge. As for pups, you can switch the pickguard out and change the pup configuration if you like. Then you can go deeper, like trying some crazy wiring to create ultimate versatility, like I'm trying to do with my own revamp. As for what pups, depends what sounds you want. The world is pretty much your oyster.
Quote by lolometer1
A bad bridge can affect tuning and sustain so an upgrade from the stock one is always a good idea on a cheap guitar.

Cheers. Mine holds tune brilliantly, but always felt the sustain sucked a bit.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Quote by vacant_pistol
Cheers. Mine holds tune brilliantly, but always felt the sustain sucked a bit.

You can get bridges and trem blocks made out of different metals to improve sustain, so try that
Ben

GEAR:
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Swimming Pool route means you can do what you want with pickups, but the Pacifica's whammy is pretty pathetic. Installing a fr would definately involve a lot of work, not to sure about other bridges etc...

Tbh, the bridge will likely be the biggest challenge, I remember seeing a site that sold yamaha scale parts of all sorts a while back, but I can't remember what the site was called.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB