Quote by BBC
Just under 6,800 teenagers took the paper - set by the OCR exam body - last Thursday.

OCR has apologised, saying it will make sure candidates are not disadvantaged by the mistake.

But some students writing on social networking sites have been calling for the test to be re-run.

The error was in an exam paper taken in 335 schools and other exam centres in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Stress
The question carried eight marks out of 72 being awarded for the paper.

One candidate who contacted the BBC News website said he had been distressed to find a question that appeared "impossible".

"This threw me in the exam and many people found this to cause much added stress in the exam," he added.

"Many people are worried that the mistake made by the examining board will severely affect the mark and grade they achieve in the paper. For many this was a final exam and will most likely influence final grades and university admission."

OCR has said it deeply regrets the "unfortunate error" and says it has a range of procedures in place to ensure candidates are not disadvantaged.

Linky: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13627415

Unlucky people. The impossible question was worth 1/9 of he marks!
Unfortunately, I have OCR as the exam board for all but 2 of my GCSE subjects.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Pfft, I raped that question.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Impossible my ass, They're just making excuses because they forgot to study.
Is it impossible? Or just way harder than their level?

Sorry, couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing...
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
I took that unit a year early. Got an E. FUCK YEAH

That is all I have to add.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Jun 2, 2011,
It's not a hard question...

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
That must be so annoying, hopefully the universities will take that into account (they most likely will).
Luckily all of mine are Edexcel (and I'm in A2 as well...)
One of my friends also had a misprinted question in his exam today (university btw). He spent ages on it trying to work out why the answer was so clearly wrong but then found out after getting out that everyone else had the same problem.

It's difficult because they can't just cut the question out of the marks as people will have spent a good while doing it and most likely in many cases done everything correctly, but then you can't try crediting working as some may have done it correctly, seen it not to work and tried it differently. There's no easy answer really.
Quote by 007dude
Is it impossible? Or just way harder than their level?

Sorry, couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing...

The actual question is at the bottom. It's maths so it can be impossible aye.
If they were wise, they would have not left out any working out. Then they should get a decent amount of marks. They can't take away marks for unrelated wrong calculations.

At least it's not on the same level as that Biology exam from over a year ago where almost everyone complained about the whole paper. Didn't even give free retests.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I feel quite stupid for not even understanding the question. I failed my as-level maths.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
I before E except after C

POP QUIZ: Can anyone solve this crap?
the age of contestants from a New York Marathon is normally divided with an average of 38.0 year and a standard deviation of 9.00 year. Construct the normal division that goes with these data. The oldest contestant is 62 years old. How many % of the contestanst is older then 50? Paul is 46 and wants to compete in this years marathon. How many % of the contestans is between the ages of 20 and 46? What can be the age of a contestant to belong in that 40% of the youngest contestants?

these kind of questions make me cry
Last edited by toine at Jun 2, 2011,
That happened on an maths exam paper in my first year of uni. I wrote on my exam paper that the question was wrong and why it was wrong as did half of the class.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by MadClownDisease
One of my friends also had a misprinted question in his exam today (university btw). He spent ages on it trying to work out why the answer was so clearly wrong but then found out after getting out that everyone else had the same problem.

It's difficult because they can't just cut the question out of the marks as people will have spent a good while doing it and most likely in many cases done everything correctly, but then you can't try crediting working as some may have done it correctly, seen it not to work and tried it differently. There's no easy answer really.

This happened in the Leaving Cert in Ireland a while back. Essentially it shows the importance of good time management in an exam, you should know based on marks how much time each question is worth, and if you can't do it in that time you leave it and come back to it later if you have extra time. You'll still get some marks for the attempt.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I didn't know "maths" was actually used. I thought it was just an internet joke thing

Just not counting that one would help, but if someone took a lot of time on it, they may not have been able to get the rest done.
Fuck me, Decisional Mathematics. I don't think 1 school in my county even offers you that unit.

Quote by toine
I before E except after C

POP QUIZ: Can anyone solve this crap?
the age of contestants from a New York Marathon is normally divided with an average of 38.0 year and a standard deviation of 9.00 year. Construct the normal division that goes with these data. The oldest contestant is 62 years old. How many % of the contestanst is older then 50? Paul is 46 and wants to compete in this years marathon. How many % of the contestans is between the ages of 20 and 46? What can be the age of a contestant to belong in that 40% of the youngest contestants?

these kind of questions make me cry

Normal Distribution. It's reading numbers from a table that's given to you in the exam.
Pah.

**** England.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I thought that they change the grade boundaries too how hard the test is so it probably wont even effect the results at all.

People love to cry.
D1! I remember that module, piece of piss compared to the horrible simplex-ridden D2.

Either way, pretty harsh on the guys who took the exam. If that'd happened to me, I'd be pretty steamed over it given that I almost certainly would've wasted some degree of time trying to solve it.
Quote by Greenie_777
I thought that they change the grade boundaries too how hard the test is so it probably wont even effect the results at all.

People love to cry.

Well there's complaining over a tough test and then there's being given a question that can't actually be answered... I'm gonna have to side with the criers on this one...
Quote by Zoot Allures
Is no one here allowed to post the question ?

It was a pretty big question. Included loads a graph and tracks of weighted lengths. Pretty difficult to remember the layout.

I took this exam and spent a lot of time on that question because I knew it was such a big percentage of the marks. Looking at what the answer is on the BBC article as well suggests that i was pretty ****ing close to the real answer if not bang on. But I scribbled it out because it was wrong according the the question paper
The correct version looks really easy. Is AS year 12 or something?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Yeah it was OCR Decision 1 this year. The question was a "show that" thing, but their given answers were wrong.

Can't see what the fuss is all about. The question is worth eight points from a potential 72. Don't re-run the test, ignore the question and mark the paper out of 64. It's basic maths, not rocket science, although some people do like making life needlessly difficult. Dave, Bridgend

This?
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by papershredder

This?

It's really not that simple. People stressed over that question, and it made the exam harder. They're also probably going to be overly generous with the rest of the exam for that reason, which can reward undeserving students who don't really care.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
They should pass anyone who passed and let those who failed resit for free.

D1 was a horrible module, I hated it. But it might have changed since 2004 I guess
It was a terrible exam, and I regretfully, burst into tears after the exam in front of my maths teacher. After learning that the exam board had made such a careless mistake, a mistake that would affect the lives of thousands of students, you can understand our frustration, anger and disappointment. I feel it is within the best interests of the students that we are able to sit a new Decision Mathematics 1 exam to recitfy the foolish mistakes of OCR. Kalpita, York

Oh come on now, this person would have burst into tears anyway. A levels arent hard
Quote by papershredder
Yeah it was OCR Decision 1 this year. The question was a "show that" thing, but their given answers were wrong.

This?

People are still at a disadvantage... a lot of students will have spent a lot of extra time trying to answer a high-mark question correctly, compromising the rest of the paper. It was a 'prove' question, so students would know if they'd got it wrong, and work until they got it right.
OCR should allow them to re-sit before August.

This has only reinforced my opinion that OCR are the worst board. I've noticed the questions are often badly written and the marks awarded are often not fair for what the question asks of you.

Thankfully the only exams I have to take this summer are Edexcel, which on the whole are okay. AQA seem to have the kindest spec though
Last edited by vitchb at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by vitchb
People are still at a disadvantage... a lot of students will have spent a lot of extra time trying to answer a high-mark question correctly, compromising the rest of the paper. It was a 'prove' question, so students would know if they'd got it wrong, and work until they got it right.
OCR should allow them to re-sit before August.

This has only reinforced my opinion that OCR are the worst board. I've noticed the questions are often badly written and the marks awarded are often not fair for what the question asks of you.

Thankfully the only exams I have to take this summer are Edexcel, which on the whole are okay. AQA seem to have the kindest spec though

To be fair, those people are bad at exams. You never spend more time on a question than it is worth for marks.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
To be fair, those people are bad at exams. You never spend more time on a question than it is worth for marks.

Well it was the highest mark question, 10% of the grade. It's not the kind of question you forget about and move on, especially if you know how to do it.
But if they just knocked off the 8 marks to mark it out of 64 then based grade boundaries on mark distributions it wouldn't result in people getting grades they didn't deserve, would it?
- - - - - - - -
When I think of the perpetual journey through life
When it always feels like autumn
The wind moves slowly to the north
And the flowers die
Rain falls in my dreams

- - - - - - - -
Quote by vitchb
Well it was the highest mark question, 10% of the grade. It's not the kind of question you forget about and move on, especially if you know how to do it.

Then you give it no more than 10% of the time, that way even if it's impossible (or more likely you simply can't do it) then you're not at a loss in questions you can do.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington