Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying my first electric guitar this autumn, and I've been looking around a little bit. What I'm actually looking for is (just as I did with my classical guitar) to find a guitar that's a bit "more" than just a simple starterguitar, one that I can play for years and years to come. (that's why I won't buy a starterpack)

I haven't got a particular playing style yet, but I'm really starting to like blues guitar so I will mostly be playing blues, classic rock (led zeppelin, pink floyd, ...) Not so much the heavier(metal)stuff.

I kinda like the Yamaha Pacifica 112V, it's around € 150,00 here, because it seems to be quite a versatile guitar.

I don't know much about amps, but I've seen a Line 6 Spider IV 15V amp for €87.

What do you guys think of the guitar and the amp, and the combination of the two?
Guitar - Get it. It'll serve you well until you're ready for professional levels of gear.
Amp - HELLS NO. It sounds digital and overall not good - I'd reccommend a Vox Valvetronix or Roland Microcube.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Pacifica's are great guitars imo, that'll last you for ages.
as for the amp, it isn't the best BUT most people who tell you it's crap are just jumping on the band wagon here. i personally think the only thing that sounds digital on them is the insane channel, which you won't use because it's more distortion than anyone could ask for.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I'm not going to buy it right away, it's just to have an idea of what other (experienced) people think of it.

I'll definitely try it out in the store before I buy it.

Any suggestions on other amps? I'd like an amp that comes with a few effects, and under €150.

Maybe other good guitars for the same price?
if you can try and find a used Peavey Vyper, that would do you better than the Spider, but i'm not sure if you'll be able to find one for 150 Euros tbh

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
If you can afford it, get a VOX Valvetronix. When I bought my first amp I went into the store with a Peavey Vypyr, Line 6 Spider and the VOX in mind, and the guy recommend the VOX. The Peavey has more effects (apparently), but the VOX is most definitely the best sounding.

The 20 Watt version should just about be in your budget.

EDIT: You can get the VOX Valvetronix VT20+ for £129... Which by my calculations is within your 150 budget.
[post="27275574"]Gibson SG Angus Sig[/post]
Last edited by Chuckoir at Jun 2, 2011,
I just had a look at Yamaha's website, apparantly they make amplifiers too. Well... just one actually

Any opinions on the Yamaha GA-15 (don't know the price yet)
it'll probably even worse than what people will say the Spider sounds, because it's an amp that's likely supposed to be in a starter pack

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I have experience with the Roland cubes and the spider amps, and I would definitely recommend the cube over the spider. Don't know about the Vox though.
I've seen many many threads like this, and for people at different levels and styles.
I'm going to say, based on the usual responses and number of things I've tried out - for a beginner:
Grab the Yamaha Pacifica indefinitely.
Then make a choice in taste between the Peavey Vvypr 15 or the Vox VT20+ based on taste - I'd opt for the Vox due to it's tube pre-amp.