Okay... Err... Drum guys...? (I post mostly i the pit, and this obviously isn't there, nor is it Recordings)

So, I constantly seem to play drums either barefoot or with only socks, mostly because I can't do certain techniques on the bass drum while wearing shoes. As a result, I get tons of minor cuts and bruises...

My question for you is... What's your footwear? What should I try wearing to minimise injury while not losing the ability to do heel toe bass?
I play with my socks on and never get cuts or bruises. I use the Pearl Eliminators and have never had problems. Maybe try using really light shoes. That's about the only thing I can come up with, sorry lol
Quote by Vendetta V
something like ballet shoes could help i guess

Lol, this might work sadly enough. Glad I'm not the drummer on stage, that would look ridiculous...

I bought a pair of sneakers because I used to drum in hi-tops, and couldn't get off a heel-toe in them... And those sneakers were better, but ended up shrinking because someone washed them and then dried them on hi-heat, hi-heat. (There was dog doo and piss on them because my brother's an ass)
well i drum in hi-tops quite a lot and i personally find it a lot more comfier than bare foot.
i would recommend getting some really thin plimsoll type shoes if you can
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I play barefoot but I do pretty much everything barefoot. Last winter I remember really scaring one pub owner because not only was I standing out in the snow with bare feet but I was also walking over broken glass. When you get thick enough calluses on your feet nothing bothers them.
Not taking any online orders.
Get some callouses? I'm just trying to figure out what you'd cut yourself on. My biggest problem with drumming barefoot is having the beater hit the top of my foot all the time.
Wear shoes. Even if they're really thin ones (although I use skater shoes), wear shoes.

Also, if you cannot do heel toe without being barefoot, you are doing it wrong. You could perform the actual technique with snowboard boots, if you were so inclined

(I'm serious though)
I play with whatever is on my feet. Converse, Vans, etc. Dr. Martens took some getting used to. A friend of mine wears wrestling/kickboxing shoes. He loves em.
Quote by Steve08
Wear shoes. Even if they're really thin ones (although I use skater shoes), wear shoes.

Also, if you cannot do heel toe without being barefoot, you are doing it wrong. You could perform the actual technique with snowboard boots, if you were so inclined

(I'm serious though)

I have a feeling that this is the case...

I'm not super-accomplished, never had any real lessons, kinda just bash the set and pretend to have dynamic range.

But, its working, and its just a way to get drums to songs so I have complete demos to bring to the band. Its probably not the best way, but its working for now. I'll get my techniques up later, when I have money.
You don't have to take lessons to become a knowledgeable musician/have good technique, dude. Jojo Mayer is self-taught and is one of the most technically accomplished drummers around. His DVD is pretty commonly used for development of advanced hand chops.

What you want to do is make a regular heel up stroke (so just the force of your leg pressing down the pedal) and then make a stroke with your ankles for the 2nd stroke. Repeat ad infinitum.

I still have a long way to go but my heel toe doubles are at about 200 bpm for 16ths atm. I play in thick skater shoes, although as I said, I could do the technique wearing snow boots or something if I wanted to.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 2, 2011,
cool man, I'm a long time guitar player. about to buy some drums to play on, now I know heel toe, thanks
i've played quite a bit before when my roommate had a set, he moved to poland.
Just practice playing in whatever shoes you normally wear, I usually wear Adidas Campus'...and they did feel weird getting used to (as all would), I used to wear big skate shoes when I was real into skating. Also, I have a pair of Nike Internationalists which are quite lightweight and thin which might help ya...but I believe they were discontinued. http://music-gifts.musiciansfriend.com/product/dB-Groove-Drum-Shoes?sku=414070 I've always thought of them as a bit of a "gimmick", but they seem like they are exactly what you want. Like Steve said, you could play in snowboard boots (don't know why the hell you would want to) if needed. Just practice more with whatever you're wearing, you'll get used to it eventually.
Also, you're pedal may be to blame too...I know some pedals, I can't do shit on, especially the Iron Cobra, they have that little nob at the top where the tips of the toes would be, I kept getting caught on that thing and would throw me off. Fiddle with your pedal, may be as simple as loosening or tightening something to your liking.
Last edited by AmericanZero13 at Jun 3, 2011,
I usually wear my canvas material Evisu trainers, stuff that's thin and light, like converse trainers?
on heel-toe, it's a funny one because everyone does it slightly different, I've only just realised I can do it better wearing timberland boots which I find pretty weird.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
I usually wear my canvas material Evisu trainers, stuff that's thin and light, like converse trainers?
on heel-toe, it's a funny one because everyone does it slightly different, I've only just realised I can do it better wearing timberland boots which I find pretty weird.

I've done heel-toe in Timberlands too, with my foot far offset from the pedal. Unfortunately, its really easy to accidentally have my foot fall off the pedal completely... That, and the pair I have are so heavy that they take away dynamic range from the set I'm using ATM (An E-set. In an apartment, can't have acoustics)
Quote by farcry
cool man, I'm a long time guitar player. about to buy some drums to play on, now I know heel toe, thanks

I've been playing drums since I was about 10 years old. At first I hated it because I started out really slow, and all I wanted to do bash the hell out of the the drums lol once I picked up guitar though, I became obsessed with it and I neglected my drums.
I generally play in socks at home, but I usually end up at band practice wearing combat boots. I don't really notice the difference too much, given that I don't do too much bass work beyond the occasional 16th note. I figure, if I can play in combat boots, everything else must seem easy afterwards
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by cfhdomination
I've been playing drums since I was about 10 years old. At first I hated it because I started out really slow, and all I wanted to do bash the hell out of the the drums lol once I picked up guitar though, I became obsessed with it and I neglected my drums.

I just like the contribution drums bring to music so much, I find it rather boring to sit in my room and play guitar without drums. I once used to know a guy who knew exactly how I played guitar and when we played together it was insane because we knew exactly what the other was thinking.
I've played with a lot of drummers in my day and most of them just wanted to show me how much better they were than me, kinda sucks when musicians do that.
I tend to drum bare foot, but my foot wear of choice is flip flops. I wear skate shoes when I need to be wearing shoes (like at concerts cuz of the mosh pits and whatnot.) but at my last show i drummed for a couple songs and just slipped my shoes off to drum and back on when I picked my guitar back up. no biggie.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Jun 5, 2011,