Trem picking.

Is it something that requires only 1 style of handling of pick to pull it off? They way I am practicing (quatrs/eights/16ths) on metronomes isn't working really well. (Well, I'm pretty fast, intermediate player) But I seem to have reached my limit, speed wise.

I've been searching some theories why or whatnot, I come a crossed an article saying that I have it harder since I'm a Lefty playing a right handed guitar? (btw, I mean playing fast as I'm able to pull it off playing 16ths on a metronome up until 120). Legato no problems just those things that starts with pull-offs (hate it).

Anyway, I want to play metal. All those precision picking w/ the drums and those sweet little legatos. Coupled with some insane sweeps and etc... Thats my ideal skill. Can't do it though.

I've posted here before, though in my last post I ditched my rg570 and went to acoustic. Now I traded my other electric (china strat) to an (american) strat and want to play fast again. Not the ideal guitar I know, but hey, it's just practice. Just recently sold my RG to get a better amp for practice. Basically all I have now is my strat.
Quote by Killmaki
Trem picking.

Is it something that requires only 1 style of handling of pick to pull it off? They way I am practicing (quatrs/eights/16ths) on metronomes isn't working really well. (Well, I'm pretty fast, intermediate player) But I seem to have reached my limit, speed wise.

I've been searching some theories why or whatnot, I come a crossed an article saying that I have it harder since I'm a Lefty playing a right handed guitar? (btw, I mean playing fast as I'm able to pull it off playing 16ths on a metronome up until 120). Legato no problems just those things that starts with pull-offs (hate it).

Anyway, I want to play metal. All those precision picking w/ the drums and those sweet little legatos. Coupled with some insane sweeps and etc... Thats my ideal skill. Can't do it though.

I've posted here before, though in my last post I ditched my rg570 and went to acoustic. Now I traded my other electric (china strat) to an (american) strat and want to play fast again. Not the ideal guitar I know, but hey, it's just practice. Just recently sold my RG to get a better amp for practice. Basically all I have now is my strat.

Iron Maiden do airly well using strats and the guys from Judas Priest used to use them. I know they're hardly Petrucci or Paul Gilbert but it's possible. Yngwie does it...
Quote by Killmaki
Trem picking.

Tremolo picking is exactly the same as normal alternate picking, just faster.

You're not really disadvantaging yourself by playing right handed even though you're a lefty, it's still just going to take time and practice; everyone finds it hard to improve anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
relax relax relax. I can't stress that enough. Don't be too stiff when you're playing or you'll have a ton of trouble getting your speed up. Make sure the force of your picking is as much in the wrist as possible. Also, something that worked really well for me was playing a lot of bass with really heavy picks. Spend some time doing that and I guarantee you'll be flying.