Hi. I know we can create several/infinite picking exercises based on picking directions, number of strings,etc ... but after a while I started to think about how important/relevant is to try to cover all the possibilities, and instead I started to think about of the usefulness of these exercises.

To illustrate it better, please look at this picture:

In both exs the idea is to alternate picking between a pair of strings, but to me I believe the 1st (outside motion) is more natural. Although I'm practing the 2nd, I never play anything using that.

Question is: is it important to practice things I don't use in real situation?

Well, one may say: you don't use it now because it's not second nature to you, but if you keep practing, it may become and eventually you will use it (not sure about that)

Steve Vai once said something like: "ignore your weaknesses and only cultivate your strengths" , but it may not apply to what I'm talking about (not sure also)

I'll appreciate any thoughts, tips, etc.
Last edited by sohdubom at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by sohdubom
Hi. I know we can create several/infinite picking exercises based on picking directions, number of strings,etc ... but after a while I started to think about how important/relevant is to try to cover all the possibilities, and instead I started to think about of the usefulness of these exercises.

To illustrate it better, please look at this picture:

In both exs the idea is to alternate picking between a pair of strings, but to me I believe the 1st (outside motion) is more natural. Although I'm practing the 2nd, I never play anything using that.

Question is: is it important to practice things I don't use in real situation?

Well, one may say: you don't use it now because it's not second nature to you, but if you keep practing, it may become and eventually you will use it (not sure about that)

Steve Vai once said something like: "ignore your weaknesses and only cultivate your strengths" , but it may not apply to what I'm talking about (not sure also)

I'll appreciate any thoughts, tips, etc.

If you don't use one or the other then you're not doing enough picking or you're playing too much to your strengths within your own playing.

I would disagree with Mr Vai for once and say you should practice your weaknesses as much if not more than your strengths, how else will you ever go beyond what you can do now?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Why the hell would you practice something that you'd never use? Don't waste time mindlessly playing through bland technical exercises that serve no practical playing application. Practice things that will provide a technical workout, but transfer directly into playing. Just make a lick using those picking ideas and practice it. That way, you'd have worked out the technical aspect and could apply it directly to your playing.
Last edited by Faded Grey at Jun 2, 2011,
I guess one very important thing we as musicians need to do since nowadays we got tons of easy information access, is to learn how to filter/select/separate it, and yes ... in my opinion also, I believe it should be applicable in a musical way.
It is applicable if you want to be good at alternate picking.
What you got there is just an isolation of 2 very basic alt. picking motions.

Isolations are good if you have trouble with something... but if that's too boring then work on it in other ways.

But those picking patterns are not 'un-musical', nor are they useless. People do use them.