Legalize some
139 45%
Legalize nothing
14 5%
I don't know
10 3%
Voters: 309.
Page 1 of 5
The global war on drugs has "failed" according to a new report by group of politicians and former world leaders.

The Global Commission on Drug Policy report calls for the legalisation of some drugs and an end to the criminalisation of drug users.

The panel includes former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the former leaders of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil, and the entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson.

The US and Mexican governments have rejected the findings as misguided.

The Global Commission's 24-page report argues that anti-drug policy has failed by fuelling organised crime, costing taxpayers millions of dollars and causing thousands of deaths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

Interesting report, but will anyone listen? I sure hope so.

Also, was this thread (on this article) done? I searched for it but couldn't find anything but I have a faint memory it was.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm sure anyone smart enough to gain power in the first place knows this. Shame they also know that the stigma attached to it means they are gonna lose votes if they do anything about it.
I know it's been mentioned in the drug thread but I haven't seen threads on it.
I agree wholeheartedly. The war on drugs is doing nothing. Non-violent drug users should not be thrown into a prison, where crime is bred. They should be helped. Legalization/decriminalization is extremely effective, as seen in Portugal and we need to start following suit, but of course America is right and a large group of the world's previous leaders are wrong.
Quote by Greenie_777
I'm sure anyone smart enough to gain power in the first place knows this. Shame they also know that the stigma attached to it means they are gonna lose votes if they do anything about it.

Which is why they chose to say this after they have served their term
Last edited by RPGoof at Jun 2, 2011,
No shit.

Every non-retarded politician in the world knows of the benefits decriminalisation and legalisation but the people voting for it don't.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Jun 2, 2011,
smock weed er' day
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Their 24 page report fills me with yummy goodness. Finally, some people with stature point out the blindingly obvious.
Quote by stratdud39
Decriminalize it all...don't completely legalize it all.
EDIT: except PCP

And that stops which of the reasons they give for saying that it fails?

Organised crime, murders or policing costs?
Yeah former politicians. Wait until they have less to lose to say it.

But hey, it's all good. The war on drugs is a joke.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Greenie_777
And that stops which of the reasons they give for saying that it fails?

Organised crime, murders or policing costs?

So you're saying you think it should all be completely legalized? I didn't actually read the article..
I think anything synthesized should remain illegal, but hemp and poppy derivatives should be legal.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I think anything synthesized should remain illegal, but hemp and poppy derivatives should be legal.

What about LSD?

Quote by stratdud39
So you're saying you think it should all be completely legalized? I didn't actually read the article..

It says in the bit he quoted. If it was legalised it would eliminate all criminal elements. Decriminalisation just means the users will be ok which is like 20% of the problem.
Quote by JustRooster

Why ban synthetic stuff?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quite surprised at the poll options, so far no one has voted for the last two options.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Why ban synthetic stuff?

So we can continue to make dirty synthetics and use harmful fillers, while disposing of the toxic waste in children's play areas.
Last edited by RPGoof at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster

That's not the point of it. Everyone knows that these drugs are dangerous (the hard ones) but that's why they have to be legalised. These people are saying that all drugs need to be legalised for practical purposes, not necessarily ideological purposes so letting weed become legalised without heroin would be undermining their case entirely.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Kensai
Quite surprised at the poll options, so far no one has voted for the last two options.

Because we are a much more open minded group of young adults/teenagers, while the people who made the current policies grew up a generation or two ago where marijuana was thought to make you insane
Quote by RPGoof
So we can continue to make dirty synthetics and use harmful fillers, while disposing of the toxic waste in children's play areas.

That's unlikely to happen under illegalisation (as it woud bring into existence quality control and legislation in regards to by product disposal).

Companies that make plastic don't dump shit in playgrounds; neither would a meth company.

Quote by Kensai

We're so progressive up in the Pit
Quote by TheBurningFish
That's unlikely to happen under illegalisation (as it woud bring into existence quality control and legislation in regards to by product disposal).

Companies that make plastic don't dump shit in playgrounds; neither would a meth company.

I know it was an exaggeration. I trust the grower and the pot from a dispensery more than the profit hungry drug dealing gang killers, though, in regards to quality and the aftermath.
Quote by RPGoof
I know it was an exaggeration. I trust the grower and the pot from a dispensery more than the profit hungry drug dealing gang killers, though, in regards to quality and the aftermath.

They'd be ****ed under legalisation, no doubt.

Wouldn't be utterly shocked if prohibition is being "encouraged" by a deep pocketed chap with stake in the illegal drug industry either.

Quote by Greenie_777
It says in the bit he quoted. If it was legalised it would eliminate all criminal elements. Decriminalisation just means the users will be ok which is like 20% of the problem.

Well we at least need an age limit..
And I don't really like the idea of companies glorifying heroin and cocaine in TV advertisements like they do alcohol.
Quote by stratdud39
And I don't really like the idea of companies glorifying heroin and cocaine in TV advertisements like they do alcohol.

If it even managed to get that far, chances are they'd be in the same situation as cigarettes and the like are. They're being sold, but when was the last time you saw an advertisement for it? It's controlled like no other.
Quote by TheBurningFish
They'd be ****ed under legalisation, no doubt.

Wouldn't be utterly shocked if prohibition is being "encouraged" by a deep pocketed chap with stake in the illegal drug industry either.

And doubtless by tobacco and alcohol companies fearful for their own profits.
Quote by stratdud39

I doubt it would work like that. People aren't allowed to advertise cigarettes so I'm sure as hell they wouldn't be able to advertise these things.

It would just mean more information would be readily available to everyone about the effects of these drugs rather than the mysterious thing they have going on now.

I've heard loads of my friends say that they wouldn't try heroin if someone paid them over £100000. Me myself I wouldn't mind giving it a go just the once, but that's just me.
Quote by RPGoof
If it even managed to get that far, chances are they'd be in the same situation as cigarettes and the like are. They're being sold, but when was the last time you saw an advertisement for it? It's controlled like no other.

Well then I meant they should all be legalized and controlled..
It's in the interests of big criminal organisations to keep drugs illegal. I wouldn't be surprised if they were bribing officials to keep things that way.

Well, it's possible, but it's probably just an old fashioned case of ignorant, empty-headed morons running people's lives.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Jun 2, 2011,
making drugs illegal while having beer and cigarette ads everywhere is like telling a kid not to play with fire but raising him in a house full of buckets of corrosive acid lying around everywhere while poisonous fumes are blown into his room every 10 minutes.

And the idiots calling these people "misguided" couldn't find their own ass if you stuck a balloon full of cocaine up it.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by Kumanji
Marijuana and other drugs shouldn't be advertised, just like cigarettes. There's a huge difference between restricting advertisement and restricting sale.

Do you think people should be allowed to advertise alcohol then?
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by Kumanji
Marijuana and other drugs shouldn't be advertised, just like cigarettes. There's a huge difference between restricting advertisement and restricting sale.

I agree. Drugs of any kind are bad for you, and shouldn't be shown in a positive light by people who make money off of hurting other people.

But it's still a personal choice you should be legally allowed to make. Some dude selling me 5 grams of weed isn't in any way more of a criminal than the little old lady who sells me cigarettes at the kiosk next door.

EDIT: ^ I personally think alcohol ads are just as bad if they're on TV or on billboards where everyone, including kids, are given the impression that "hey! Come drink Bacardi and have a smashing good time! Ignore all those stupid awareness posters about drinking responably, alcohol is fun!".

Having alcohol ads in pubs or liquor stores is a different thing, though.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I agree. Drugs of any kind are bad for you, and shouldn't be shown in a positive light by people who make money off of hurting other people.

But it's still a personal choice you should be legally allowed to make. Some dude selling me 5 grams of weed isn't in any way more of a criminal than the little old lady who sells me cigarettes at the kiosk next door.

Except he aint taxing that shit and it's overpriced.
Quote by Greenie_777
Except he aint taxing that shit and it's overpriced.

Yo you talkin' smack about my dealer homie, bitch?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yo you talkin' smack about my dealer homie, bitch?

Is it Gunter? Because I heard Gunter touches kids.
Quote by the_white_bunny

Quote by the_white_bunny
Page 1 of 5