m buying a new guitar and could do with your advice/opinions if you dont mind

I want to buy a Les Paul style guitar.

I was recommended this guitar and was thinking of buying it but i thought id ask here first before i did, The Vintage V100Hb

I really love the look of the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain top Honey Burst But i was told since they moved factory there guitars arnt as good but as for looks its 100% what id like at the moment

My budget is 300-400 Euro.

I want a slash kind of tone (in that direction at least)

The Gear i have at the moment is a Roland Cube20X Amp. A Zoom G1xn Multi Effects Pedal. I have a Epiphone Sg Special which is my main electric i play on at the moment so i was hoping i could get a better guitar than that. I also have a Fender CD-60 CE BK.

One idea i was thinking is buy a vintage maybe and stick some seymaur duncan alnico 2 pro humbuckers into it

Anyone any ideas?
Last edited by LiamLp at Jun 2, 2011,
Go for the Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

Slash uses LPs.

Also, take a look at the Stagg 350. Beastly LP style guitar.

And for the Roland Cube!
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Go for the Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

Slash uses LPs.

Also, take a look at the Stagg 350. Beastly LP style guitar.

And for the Roland Cube!

will take a look now..you mean good luck? or cheers?

See this guitar http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_lp_1958_plain_top_hcs.htm

Whats the difference with that and a standard Lp?
Last edited by LiamLp at Jun 2, 2011,
try out the Vintage V100AFD "Paradise"

played it and thought it was good for the price

Basically a Slash signature Les Paul but alot cheaper, exactly what you're looking for
Last edited by Capt_Clarkson at Jun 2, 2011,
according to your specs the Vintage V100 AFD Paradise is your perfect guitar, and from what Ive heard they are considerable better than similarly priced epi les pauls
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yeah i was looking at that guitar but the only thing is i dont like the colour, i really love the bright orange plain top one
The Vintage is better than the Epi, I'd know, I own one, also had an epi standard for a brief moment(Borrowed it just to make sure.) and believe me I've played enough epis to say you're better off with a vintage. Excellent guitars for the money. I too had this choice, and wanted an Epi - because of the real "LP" on the headstock, but no, the Vintage was better. And yes, you can get Slash tones out of it.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top and compared the Vintage V100AFD side by side

The Vintage is absolutly perfect for budget Slash/Hard Rock tones,

The Epiphone is worse for that due to having muddier pickups but for what I play I prefered the Epiphone
Quote by LiamLp
will take a look now..you mean good luck? or cheers?

See this guitar http://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_lp_1958_plain_top_hcs.htm

Whats the difference with that and a standard Lp?

I meant cheers. I also hav a Roland Cube amp and it's an awesome practice amp.

So I'm on the Epiphone website looking for the 1958 version os the plain top LP, but can't find it, but the guitar looks the same though.

Anyway, the only differences I see is that th plain top range have more choice of colours. You're limited to ebony with the standard one.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
yeah if only i could compare them side by sie but i dont think my local music shop has the vintage , i shall email them and ask them
If Tokai do a LP copy "Love Rock" in that budget that would probably be the best
wait a minute, what is your actual budget? I mean if you add up the price of an epi LP standard (around 400 euro on thomann), add the duncan alnico II pro slashes (~200 euro), you're up to almost 600 euro...

are you in the UK? I only ask because that's very close to what you can get a japanese-made Tokai for (around £650, which is about 700 euro), and that'll annihilate either the epi or the vintage.

Now, obviously if you're planning on upgrading the pickups 2 years down the line when you've gathered up more money, then that won't work, lol. But if you've got the money now and are going to rip out the stock pickups immediately you get it... getting a better guitar from the get-go for only a little more money would definitely be worth considering. Assuming you have the disposable income.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Judist
If Tokai do a LP copy "Love Rock" in that budget that would probably be the best

I look this up 990£ i think it was. It was the love rock II Though,

Im in Ireland, Yeah i see where your coming from

Well i have around 640Euro cash thats like all the disposable cash i got at the moment but i dont really want to spend that much on a guitar, i think id settle with the vintage first and wait until i get better but i have a feeling if i go to the local guitar shop (waltons.ie) il prob fall in love with a epiphone les paul all orange and shiny but 450 euro is alot to pay for a epiphone les paul imo
I always tell people to get the PRS Tremonti SE over epiphone. But it's whatever you like.
Quote by The Judist

i don't know if i'd go with an alder body model. that's odd, who does that on a LP?

i'll second the mij tokai, very nice stuff.

are you only looking at new or are used guitars an option?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ nah it doesn't, it just has alnico humbuckers. That doesn't really tell you anything.

The alnico II pros which slash uses are a specific model of humbucker made by seymour duncan. Just getting a humbucker with alnico magnets doesn't really tell you how it'll sound.

but yeah i mean if you can get up to the £650 or so for an MIJ tokai, that's what i'd do. Obviously if you don't want to spend the money, then that's your choice. But what you really don't want to do it put so much money into the epi that you could just have bought the tokai.

EDIT: cheers greg. Yeah the cheaper non-MIJ tokais use the wrong woods for some reason. One reason why when I recommend tokais I always say the MIJ models...

EDIT #2: when you say the more orange sunburst, do you mean the redder sunburst? i.e. cherry sunburst?

that's heritage cherry sunburst (i think )

honeyburst (again, i think... those pics are terrible )

amber, i guess...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 3, 2011,
imo the epi finishes are pretty nasty. the honeyburst looks like a flem burst.

the tokais look like better gibsons, maybe just the ones i've seen.

stretch if you can TS, is my advice.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah i mean that first one is almost like a clown burst, and as you say, the honeyburst one is particularly nasty...

maybe they're just bad pics, i dunno. it's been a fair while since i've tried an epi, and i wasn't that worried about the colour when i last tried them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?