Ok, guys, I need your help again.
I am very interested in trying out for jazz band in my school this year, I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and I know jazz band would be a fun and helpful experience. Our jazz band doesn't really play jazz, only one or two songs maybe; most of what they play is old rock and bluesy jazzy stuff. My friend who is the bassist for jazz band came in with me to talk with the music teacher about it. I played a little bit of "Is There Anybody Out There?" by Pink Floyd. He said it was nice, and I should choose a song to play and come in next week. Although this is not the official audition, I know it would help greatly if I impress him. He said to choose something that will show what I can do and shows my potential. I have NO IDEA what to play. My friend said to play something that has some jazzy chords like 7th and 9ths and such and something with some space for a little improv solo. He said maybe another Pink Floyd song, but I'm not sure.
Heeeelp.

Tl;dr

What song can I play that will impress the jazz band teacher?
Thanks guys.
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Jazz Standards - Chord Melody Solo, its a book, its has tab if you can't read, check it out, their intermediate songs, all Standards that every jazz player should know but again at more of an intermediate level, I'm sure you could add your own embellishments if you want
Do a chord melody, where you play the lead and the chords underneath it at the same time, of a jazz standard. Autumn Leaves comes to mind.

Here's and example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795sG19cPmU
Of course you don't have to be as good as Joe Pass, just do something that shows you know how to play chords and move through them smoothly. That is 90% of what you'll be doing in a jazz band as a guitar player.

If you do get in, keep in mind that chords are your number one priority. Learn the shapes, voicing, formulas, etc. Overall, chord theory is what you should be focusing on.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Dude, listen to your friend, but i don't think you should play a song, try and make a up a jazz song which shouldnt be hard if you know your chords well. Most importantly is knowing what key you are in, especially if u want to be in a jazz band in a school, because im in a jazz band in school and doesnt play so much jazz songs lol. But anywho, Make sure you know the names of your chords etc. I think makin a up a jazz song is a great idea. If you want to play a song anyways, try some bb king, or carlos santana, i know they're not mostly jazz but they have good pieces. I only have almost 3 years of guitar playing btw. Good luck man!
You ought to try some jazz standards. A good one is Autumn leaves. It's a simple, yet you can show off so much with it - you can add and noodle around with the chords, play them all over the neck, integrate the melody into chord progressions, and there's a lot of leeway for improvisation in there aswell.
If i may, I'd suggest you focus on showing off some extensive chord knowledge. In a jazz combo and big band setting, it's worth way more than being able to play a fast solo
Thanks guys.
I'll definitely look into jazz standards.
I know my chords pretty well, and I'm pretty good about playing in the right key (:
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
How about "Minor Swing"?

It's fun.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
play to your strenghths, but also figure some basic stuff out. learn to comp a 12 bar blues in a swing-ish style (Billie's bounce by charlie parker is a good, standard one--work on sparse comping and playing the chords in a freddie green, 4-to-the-bar style), and play the head (main melody). Also, a simple solo arrangement can be good (if you cant do one, theres a book of chord melodies by Barry Galbraith thats really good, and may have both tab and notation--but its best to get off tabs ASAP). if either of those things are too much for you, play a bluesy 12 bar blues, and a jazzy or bluesy rock song (pink floyd would do if the director is into that, but something funky or something like a BB king or cream song would probably be good too).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Learn some songs that the band already plays, like every other audition.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by ziggymidget
You ought to try some jazz standards. A good one is Autumn leaves. It's a simple, yet you can show off so much with it - you can add and noodle around with the chords, play them all over the neck, integrate the melody into chord progressions, and there's a lot of leeway for improvisation in there aswell.
If i may, I'd suggest you focus on showing off some extensive chord knowledge. In a jazz combo and big band setting, it's worth way more than being able to play a fast solo

+1