Hello guys,

I am planning to buy this guitar: http://www.thomann.de/fr/fender_sq_classic_vibe_tele_50s_bb.htm

But i would like to have advices about it, i play many different music styles. I especially would like to know if this guitar cans provide a good heavy metal tone. (Black Sabbath style for example).

My amp is a Line6 Spider III 15W. I don't have enough money to buy a new one. I only can buy a guitar.

Sorry for my bad english, i'm French.

Thanks a lot in advance.
It'll take a lot of tweaking to come close to a black sabbath sound with singlecoils on a TELE of all things...I would recommened somthing else...for 320 euro's you should be able to pick up a mid level Ibanez (Used, possibly new) that'll treat you to your Heavy'er sounds...

In short- Dont get the tele.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Although I love my Telecaster I have to say that may not be the best guitar for a stereotypical metal sound because of the single coils, although Tony Iommi recorded a little bit with a strat and Jimmy Page used a tele for some fairly heavy stuff (communication breakdown) and I play metal on my cv tele sometimes. My best advice is try it out if you get the chance, I love my classic vibe tele and lots of people say they're better than the Mexican ones.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Jun 2, 2011,
would not be my first choice of guitar for what you play.

i'd consider a guitar with a bridge humbucker honestly.

i'm a huge fan of that tele btw.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I played one today and I was very impressed, but you'll never get a heavy sound from it stock. You shoud look at the G-400 series from Epiphone it will get that old sabbath tone, A dicent LP style guitar will work great and give you good versitility.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i'm gonna say try the Tele before you buy it. probably not the best choice for sabbath but you might like it. try out some Epiphones like the g-400 and les paul studios. just make sure to try first and really i would save some more and get a better amp but if you want a guitar do it.
That guitar is not metal. And making it metal would require enough money to just buy a better guitar more suited to metal. If you want to play rockabilly or funk rhythms or country that would be a great guitar. But for high-distortion detuned rock it's just the wrong way to go.
I actually do like how teles sound under high gain for metal on its bridge pickup it has a nice thing going on but if your're gunning for a traditional metal sound a tele is not the way to go..
thanks everybody for your advices.

On the video posted above by Metal_Mesh, the Telecaster sounds awesome ! To be honest, i'm really crazy about this guitar, but of course i want to be sure it will provide a good sound.

So, i'm gonna try it in store asap. For information, i already own a Jackson King V (JS30KV) but i want to replace it with a more polyvalent guitar, that's why my heart goes on this Tele.
you should probably look for a telecaster with a humbucker in the bridge already, that will save you some money for swapping out pickups. or look for a mexican made '72 telecaster second hand.
although i think the video of rob chappers playing with that guitar also shows it has potential.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Jun 3, 2011,
Please, if you own a Classic Vibe Telecaster 50's, tell me your feelings about this guitar.
For that price I would get an epiphone 335. I got mine for around 300 euro and it will play any style of music you could ever want. And yes it will play the heavy stuff. It sounds great with distortion so yeah buy that one. BTW i'm looking at getting a squier standard tele. Not very relevant but it's a coincidence. I haven't tried the classic vibe but it looks good anyway. Hope I helped but I probably didn't.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
since u already have the Jackson king V, get the tele. It should sound OK for old school metal. But dont expect the Tele to sound like Metallica or Meshuggah.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
since u already have the Jackson king V, get the tele. It should sound OK for old school metal. But dont expect the Tele to sound like Metallica or Meshuggah.

This is really good advice, I can play Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden on my Classic Vibe Thinline Telecaster and it sounds great. I can't quite play Metallica or anything heavier with it though.

Edit: I've also played some Tool with it and that sounded alright.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Jun 4, 2011,
Thanks. But the problem is that i'd like to sell my Jackson and get a Tele with the money earned... i can't have both, i don't have enough money to buy a second guitar

Sorry for my bad english again
Quote by ROROw
Please, if you own a Classic Vibe Telecaster 50's, tell me your feelings about this guitar.
I'm with Greg on this one. I love this inexpensive Pinecaster. Even with the stock PUs, you can get it pretty heavy/massive. There's also something about single coil PUs played through high gain amps. Sounds pretty brutal through a Diezel VH4 or a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet. I bought one online when it first came out and was unavailable at most of the guitar shops in my area (sold out) and it was amazing for the price paid. Check out the review here.

For the stuff you want, I'd get something with HBs. BTW, your English is fine.

Quote by ROROw
Thanks. But the problem is that i'd like to sell my Jackson and get a Tele with the money earned... i can't have both, i don't have enough money to buy a second guitar

Sorry for my bad english again

well if u really like the tele, then get it. U can always change the pickups to single coil humbuckers if u want more powerful pickups. I recommend dimarzio chopper T for the bridge pickup.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Thanks guys. I think i'm gonna buy it but i ll try it before in store. Can't wait !
I'd reccommend against using a Tele for a Sabbath sound, but then again you can get amazing sounds from bringing your gear out of its comfort zone. Just don't expect it to sound anything like Sabbath.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Hello guys, i just up this topic to tell you i tried a Tele Classic Vibe yesterday in a store, and i was very impressed !

I played many heavy metal riffs through a Vox amp (without pedal) and it sounded very good.
Ive got the 50's telecaster.. And i love, its a great guitar capable of some great tones.. But metal is just one of them..
Quote by ROROw
Hello guys, i just up this topic to tell you i tried a Tele Classic Vibe yesterday in a store, and i was very impressed !

I played many heavy metal riffs through a Vox amp (without pedal) and it sounded very good.

awesome! i'm glad you like it, it's a great guitar for the price.

it just wouldn't have been my first choice for what you play.

Congrats! POST some pics!

I promise i'll post some pics if i buy it ! But now, i wonder if the sound will be as good as in the store, cause my amp sucks... I played through a vox in store, and at home i've a line6 spider iii :/
Last edited by ROROw at Jun 22, 2011,
Get a new amp next?
Well obviously it wont sound as good since you got a worse amp, thats pretty self explanatory.. It doesn't make the guitar any worse tho, just means you got a crap amp, which you can then upgrade later on.. Its still a great guitar, probably the best you can get in that price range, and probably even better than most other midlevel guitars even those that are a couple hundred bucks more.. I say buy it!
Maybe i can try to sell my amp... Which one is the best about you ? I want to keep my Boss DS1 pedal.

Which amp could sound great with the telecaster CV ? 150€ max. Thanks
Save up some more for an amp, wouldn't buy a new one if all you have is 150, save up a bit more, and get a decent amp... Thats doesn't mean you cant get the guitar though, its a amazing guitar.. Personally i think the marshall ma series of amps sounds great with this guitar..
Okay thanks. And what do u think about the Blackstar HT-1 ?
Havent tried it, the stores i usually go to mainly carries fender, marshall, vox and line 6 amps.. The fender super champ is also a great sounding amp.. and its only half of the marshall ma50c..
I'm also interested by the Fender Mustang I ! This amp looks really nice, and i think it'd sound great with my Tele ! What do u think about this stuff ?
Quote by ROROw
I'm also interested by the Fender Mustang I ! This amp looks really nice, and i think it'd sound great with my Tele ! What do u think about this stuff ?

Should be good, because it has so many sounds in it.

Of course, we're not giving you facts. We're just giving you our opinions on stuff based on what we like and play. The main concern is that YOU like it.

I'd recommend you try a Roland Cube. It has the Boss tones, so I think you would really enjoy it.

Happy Hunting.