Ok so I'm gonna start playing a few gigs in pubs and stuff...

I don't sing, just play fingerstlye stuff e.g. CandyRat stuff etc...

I currently use an Ovation Applause AE-128 which I bought for $220 about 2 years ago...

But should I buy a better acoustic guitar for gigs or will the guitar I have do??
the ultimate question is are you happy with the sound? thats what matters in this situation.
Quote by EFGuitar
the ultimate question is are you happy with the sound? thats what matters in this situation.

Like I am happy with the sound but i've never actually played a guitar thats worth more than mine... Is a more expensive guitar actually gonna sound better?..
depends on the gigs, but your guitar won't sound as good as a better one.

are you looking for another ovation? my husband has an ovation 1778 elite t that sounds good for tapping and percussive. it's a medium bowl, which feels pretty deep after a shallower bowl, and it's got a solid top. on the other hand, with the wrong strings it's pretty boomy although with dr rares it sounds very nice - not as nice as an al dimeola model, but nice. other value acoustic electrics worth checking out imo are: blueridge br-40ce (solid top dread acoustic electric with cutaway) or br-43ce (solid top 000 acoustic electric with cutaway). these have a balanced tone with plenty of low end, somewhat like a martin. also check out yamahas (the ones that start with fgx, not the apx or fx models) or seagulls - the coastline series has some good sounding acoustic electrics, but the performer series has some sexy looking good sounding solid top acoustic electrics.

do you live by any guitar stores? if so, i suggest you play every guitar and compare. for decades i had only played cheap guitars - once i got interested, it took months of playing every guitar i could get my hands on to really be able to tell good from bad and to learn my tonal preferences enough to buy a better guitar. and it's fun to play 'em all!
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
depends on the gigs, but your guitar won't sound as good as a better one.

are you looking for another ovation? my husband has an ovation 1778 elite t that sounds good for tapping and percussive. it's a medium bowl, which feels pretty deep after a shallower bowl, and it's got a solid top. on the other hand, with the wrong strings it's pretty boomy although with dr rares it sounds very nice - not as nice as an al dimeola model, but nice. other value acoustic electrics worth checking out imo are: blueridge br-40ce (solid top dread acoustic electric with cutaway) or br-43ce (solid top 000 acoustic electric with cutaway). these have a balanced tone with plenty of low end, somewhat like a martin. also check out yamahas (the ones that start with fgx, not the apx or fx models) or seagulls - the coastline series has some good sounding acoustic electrics, but the performer series has some sexy looking good sounding solid top acoustic electrics.

do you live by any guitar stores? if so, i suggest you play every guitar and compare. for decades i had only played cheap guitars - once i got interested, it took months of playing every guitar i could get my hands on to really be able to tell good from bad and to learn my tonal preferences enough to buy a better guitar. and it's fun to play 'em all!

Yeah I live close to quite a few stores and although I would love another Ovation they don't sell them in Ireland...

I'll take your advice though and try play every guitar I can get my hands on!! I'll also try find the ones you mentioned to see what their like.

Appreciate the reply
i have found the best fingerstyle guitars to be Matons(my personal choice) but also i have heard the Lakewood are also very good.
Im on a similar trip at the moment - and the best advice ive been given is try as many guitars as possible.

For me ive noted that the difference between my current acoustic (£200 fairclough) and the ''better'' models ive been looking at is... the action ive found on the guitars ive really liked is a lot lower than mine - the fingerboard feels superb - and its just a damn site easier to play!

Ive got a budget up to £600 and have found the following brands of interest / fallen in love with some of them...

Faith guitars (Saturn model) - Freshman (apollo 3) - lower band price Martins - and Taylors - and I played a 2nd hand Guild that I truly fell in love with and now regret not buying.....

.... but, the thing is (and what everyone keeps tring to explain) you can pick up (for example) one 'Faith Saturn' guitar - then pick up another of the exact same model and they will NOT feel the same. So dont buy of ebay, thats the rules.
You dont really need to buy a new guitar. You're already used to playing your current one and if you can make your current guitar sound good, then you dont really need a new guitar. You can always buy a new guitar, post some pics up here and make the rest of us jealous, but you dont NEED to do that.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.