Hello pit, this probably isn't the greatest idea, but I've got this issue.

Here's the equation for the problem:
-16t^2 + 240t + 20.

I need to find out when the rocket reaches maximum height. But I can't remember for the life of me how to do it.

Am I supposed to somehow factor out the equation?
Are you considering the ****ing Miracles hypothesis valid?
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Factorise like

(xt + z) (pt+s) where x,z and s can be anything you choose that works. Equate each bracket to zero and find 2 values for t.
factor, solve, get rid of negative one?
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Setting the equation for 0 solves for when it hits the ground. I'm looking through my notes and for whatever reason I never wrote down an example for a problem like this.

EDIT: Found what I needed. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jun 2, 2011,
Do you know how to take derivatives? Taking the derivative of this

h = -16t^2 + 240t + 20

gets you

dh/dt = -32t + 240

rate of change of height is just velocity, so

v = -32t +240

At the maximum height, the velocity in the y direction will equal 0. So set the equation equal to zero, and solve for t.

I THINK that's how you do it...
Quote by RedDeath9

h = -16t^2 + 240t + 20

gets you

dh/dt = -32t + 240

rate of change of height is just velocity, so

v = -32t +240

At the maximum height, the velocity in the y direction will equal 0. So set the equation equal to zero, and solve for t.

Yeah, this.
I forgot to make sure I was solving it for the right thing :P
Just for clarification, am I right in assuming that -16 is the acceleration in m/s², 240 is the initial velocity in m/s, and that you've moved a -20 initial distance so that this whole thing = 0? So:
0 = a(t)² + Vi(t) + d?

If I'm right and you're only doing first year high school physics, that's a quadratic bro. Just use the basic quadratic equation of y = ax² + bx + c to substitute your values into the quadratic formula:

Whichever number is positive (you have to do the equation using both the addition and subtraction operations) is your time.
Quote by RedDeath9

(*bah bah bah math*)

Isn't the quadratic formula taken from the derivative of a quadratic equation? I haven't done derivatives yet so I don't know. But if that's the case then the above way would be easier I think.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by Pat_s1t
Whichever number is positive (you have to do the equation using both the addition and subtraction operations) is your time.Isn't the quadratic formula taken from the derivative of a quadratic equation? I haven't done derivatives yet so I don't know. But if that's the case then the above way would be easier I think.

Derivatives are just differentiation.
It's far easier than plugging into the quadratic equation.

That and it gives more info out.
I remember hating these problems in 11th and 12th grade Functions, then getting to Calculus and realizing how easy derivatives make them stupid rocket problems...
Quote by SG_dave
Derivatives are just differentiation.
It's far easier than plugging into the quadratic equation.

That and it gives more info out.
Haven't done a lick of calculus all through school, taking my first calculus course next year. If it's as easy as you guys say, I will be sad.
You guys are making this way too complicated.

Remember that graphing that as a function will give you a parabola that represents the trajectory of the rocket. Essentially, you need to find the vertex (maximum) of that parabola.

So first you find the Axis of symmetry with the formula -b/2a

Then you plug that into the original function to find the vertex.

That's the early algebra method, but you can indeed solve it with a derivative.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Last edited by TheSPillow at Jun 2, 2011,