My friend and I were having a jam the other day, he was playing the chords Am7 and A#M7 and told me to play A phrygian. Was i in A phrygian?
to make it easy:
it's basically a mode of F major.
which means: same notes as F major, but the root is A.
so play F major and remember that A is your root. voilá, you're playing A phrygian (in the context of this chord progression).

but this is just a simple explanation, modes in depth are a quite complicated thing
What?
If it was just two chords and nothing else, most likely.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A phrygian is A Bb C D E F G. So chords are Amin7 Bbmaj7 C7 Dmin7 E diminished Fmaj7 and Gmin7. So you're friend playing Amin7 and Bb or A#maj7 gives you the option to jam in A phrygian
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by hammettrocks
A phrygian is A Bb C D E F G. So chords are Amin7 Bbmaj7 C7 Dmin7 E diminished Fmaj7 and Gmin7. So you're friend playing Amin7 and Bb or A#maj7 gives you the option to jam in A phrygian

But if you added any of those other chords to the progression, the most likely result would be that the pull towards A minor as the tonic would be strong enough to negate modality and the progression would be in A minor, not A phrygian. Modes don't work like keys mate.
Soundcloud
"A Phyrgian" is the name of the hardest song on guitar known to man, it is said to have been written by Thor and Odin in the halls of Asgard. When the song was complete They attempted to play it and Asgard itself, the home of the Gods, was destroyed by its awesomeness. No mortal man has ever been able to play this piece of Viking speed metal. The last man to try this song was Kurt Cobain, and look what happened to him. Your friend was making a reference to this song and was just kidding around however it is very dangerous to joke about such a serious topic.

Lol I just made that shit up in like a minute, I feel satisfied with that answer.
But seriously, why don't you just ask him?
A min 7 to A# min 7 would be like switching from A minor to A harmonic minor... Not into phrygian? (I don't know much so I must learn)
Quote by AlanHB
If it was just two chords and nothing else, most likely.

It was but he added extensions and such.. 9ths? im not sure...
And it resolved to A, i'm pretty sure..mostly
Quote by greeneyegat
It was but he added extensions and such.. 9ths? im not sure...
And it resolved to A, i'm pretty sure..mostly

You'd have to ensure that the extensions fit within the phrygian scale. So for the Am7 the extension would have to be a b9 otherwise it wouldn't fit.
Soundcloud
I'm pretty sure they did
Could it have resolved to anything else? I hear modes often try to resolve to a major key, for example.
Quote by greeneyegat
I'm pretty sure they did
Could it have resolved to anything else? I hear modes often try to resolve to a major key, for example.

Once it's in a major or minor key, it's no longer a mode. So you know how those two chords sound sorta wafty? Like it's not going anywhere? If you add pretty much any chord to them, it'll go major or minor.

For example if you added an F maj at the end, it would most likely be in F maj. You can hear that it feels at home there. Alternatively you could put a B min in, and it would be in either A min or B min, depending how you played it. Adding a D min would put it in the key of D min.

Try adding single chords and see how there's a very intense draw to a certain chord. This feeling of the piece is one of the fundamental differences between modal songs and songs in a key. The modal song will either feel like it never resolves, or it will feel like it could resolve on either/any chord played.
Soundcloud
holy crap i think some guy actually just posted up something where he was actually playing modally well done guy! i'm entirely serious by the way, usually people get it so wrong, i know you might not understand why it's modal or anything, but you were doing it.
Quote by gavk
holy crap i think some guy actually just posted up something where he was actually playing modally well done guy! i'm entirely serious by the way, usually people get it so wrong, i know you might not understand why it's modal or anything, but you were doing it.

It's quite astonishing really. This thread should be put in the archives.
Soundcloud
That guy is great. He has tons of great information. There's a reason he's in my sig. I should mention him often.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Thanks for the help guys. I suppose with the huge percentage of people who don't know how to use modes i thought surely i can't be haha. Thanks
Quote by greeneyegat
My friend and I were having a jam the other day, he was playing the chords Am7 and A#M7 and told me to play A phrygian. Was i in A phrygian?

It's a 2 chord vamp. Should have been Bbmaj7 not A# maj7 (just a naming correction). Over that 2 chord vamp with A maintained as the tonal centre, but never feeling resolved, yes. It's a phrygian vamp.
Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 6, 2011,