A group of more than 200 Japanese pensioners are volunteering to tackle the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima power station.

Quote by Article

The Skilled Veterans Corps, as they call themselves, is made up of retired engineers and other professionals, all over the age of 60.

They say they should be facing the dangers of radiation, not the young.

It was while watching the television news that Yasuteru Yamada decided it was time for his generation to stand up.

No longer could he be just an observer of the struggle to stabilise the Fukushima nuclear plant.

The retired engineer is reporting back for duty at the age of 72, and he is organising a team of pensioners to go with him.

This is incredible. these fellas.
The world needs more stuff like this. People genuinely wanting to help others. There's too much greed and anger, I say!

Hooray for them.
I wish other countries had that kinda of attitude in their cultures.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in
It's commendable for anyone to step forward in this sort of situation, let alone a group of people who'd usually be allowed to avoid doing so without batting an eye in their direction. Sad that there aren't a lot of people in the world with this sort of selflessness.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Dudes, this is the Japanese standard. They're incredible people when it comes to work ethics, and they literally care for the customer's happiness before they care for their money.
Quote by Jimbo2010
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in

qoute of the week
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
i thought that said japan PRISONERS volunteer

which made me picture a rag tag team of scruffy japanese dudes battling the radiation plant

then i realized it was pensioners

dont know which would make a better movie
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
i thought that said japan PRISONERS volunteer

which made me picture a rag tag team of scruffy japanese dudes battling the radiation plant

then i realized it was pensioners

dont know which would make a better movie

As I often say: Why not both?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I love the Japanese sense of respect and desire to help people. I was watching part of SkyNews' coverage of the nuclear crisis and they showed some guy who'd been evacuated. He'd lost everything and had no idea of when, if ever, he would be able to return home. The president visited the compound where he was staying, and the guy had a big row, saying the people needed help and stuff, but then, once he'd finished, he bowed to the president. I found it rather touching, that even in that kind of situation the man respected and honoured the president.

Compare that to England, where the bloke would have attempted to smash his pint of stella over the PM's head.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.