So at work today, a guy was talking to me about playing guitar. I asked him what he played. He said a Gibson Flying V. He then said he got it for 150 bucks at a pawn shop. I call BS.

anybody else agree with me? There is no way any pawn shop would let it go for that cheap.
Quote by mkocian17
So at work today, a guy was talking to me about playing guitar. I asked him what he played. He said a Gibson Flying V. He then said he got it for 150 bucks at a pawn shop. I call BS.

anybody else agree with me? There is no way any pawn shop would let it go for that cheap.

BSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Probably a new or old Epiphone, which some may have Gibson also written somewhere on them, and maybe he just thinks or calls it a Gibson, lol.

There's like no way they'd sell it that cheap, either that or he bought it broken and all worn out.
that price sounds right if he bought it 35yrs ago, in said pawn shop.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It probably belonged to some guy named Gibson, who wrote his name on the headstock...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jpcl
Probably a new or old Epiphone, which some may have Gibson also written somewhere on them, and maybe he just thinks or calls it a Gibson, lol.

There's like no way they'd sell it that cheap, either that or he bought it broken and all worn out.

I asked if it was an epi and he said no, it was a gibson. Also, even if it was busted up and there were no pickups I doubt they would sell it for 150. The shop could put 50 dollar pickups in it and sell it for 700.
Last edited by mkocian17 at Jun 2, 2011,
I've seen an MIA Start at a Pawn Shop for 250. I'm pretty sure it depends on the Pawn Shop you go to, I go to two; One has a musician working there and guitar's they sell are fairly priced. The other, has no idea what he's talking about. The owner tries to sell an old broken Gibson SG Melody Maker for 1,200, but let the MIA go for that low.
Current Gear:
Mexican Fender Telecaster
Robert Smith custom Jazzmaster
Stratocaster
Vox AC4TV
It depends. How much swag is this guy bringing into the pawn shop under the table? It could've been a "reward" price.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by mkocian17

Depends how many years ago he bought it?
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
I seen Gibby LP go for $300 once at pawnshop once.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Robbgnarly
that price sounds right if he bought it 35yrs ago, in said pawn shop.

this.

mick ralphs allegedly bought a gibson les paul for $50 from a pawn shop in the early '70s.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
hey i found a 1959 gibson les paul junior under the bed and i'm not gonna tell where that bed is. same for the pawn shop right.

also note not everyone knows what a gibson is. if i tell people i play guitar they ask me what guitar i play and flame me for not playing yamaha's but gibson and charvel... strange world out there i tell you!
another possibility is that he doesn't actually know much about guitars and assumed that a "gibson flying V" was just any V shaped guitar, regardless of what it says on the headstock or anything like that.

it's like my dad is completely unaware that the gibson explorer exists. he sees one and recognises it as an ibanez destroyer, because that's what he used to have. even if he can see "gibson" on the headstock he'll still call it an ibanez destroyer.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by mkocian17

Ironic. Just the other day one of my friends tells me he got a Gibson 'something or other' at a pawnshop for $100. I called BS in my mind but congratulated him on his purchase. A few days later I get to see it...it's an Epi SG.
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by 3volved
Ironic. Just the other day one of my friends tells me he got a Gibson 'something or other' at a pawnshop for $100. I called BS in my mind but congratulated him on his purchase. A few days later I get to see it...it's an Epi SG.

thats not ironic at all. just saying...
Quote by Blompcube
another possibility is that he doesn't actually know much about guitars and assumed that a "gibson flying V" was just any V shaped guitar, regardless of what it says on the headstock or anything like that.

it's like my dad is completely unaware that the gibson explorer exists. he sees one and recognises it as an ibanez destroyer, because that's what he used to have. even if he can see "gibson" on the headstock he'll still call it an ibanez destroyer.

THIS exactly. people call my beautifull slime green charvel san dimas a fender stratocaster just because they know the shape.
ive never been in a pawn shop with a gibson in it. either

A - they know what it is and charge darn near retail
B - they know what it is and have it in the back room off the floor
C - its gone in no longer than 1 week

the solution is simple. have him send you a pic of it. perhaps with him holding it (so you know its not fake)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 3, 2011,
Gibson student line melody maker V
in poor condition, perhaps broken truss rod?

I mean the student line is only $500
brand new anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 3, 2011,