I want to write a song for somebody on classical guitar. What are some good serious sounding chords?
minor chords sound sadder/more serious to me, but it can depend on what chords are used with them.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
minor chords

This. And if minor chords aren't cutting it for you, try diminished chords. They really add flavor.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Even happy sounding chords can sound sad/serious if put in the right progression. Something I sometimes do is pick a song that has the flavor I'm looking for, figure out what key it's in, and start playing with combinations of the chords in that key. It's not as much the chords themselves as much as the changes between them that I hear emotion in, but that might be just me.
I have one that I like. I don't know the chord name but its

First string 3rd Fret
Second String: 6th Fret
Third String 4th Fret.

This is from a black metal song but has a haunting tone play the strings 6-3-2-1-2-1-2-3 repeat. Its a cool sounding chord even when strummed.
Quote by kharn_tb
I have one that I like. I don't know the chord name but its

First string 3rd Fret
Second String: 6th Fret
Third String 4th Fret.

This is from a black metal song but has a haunting tone play the strings 6-3-2-1-2-1-2-3 repeat. Its a cool sounding chord even when strummed.

Notes are G B and F.

It looks like part of a G7 chord but without the 5th. Without a harmonic context, I wouldn't know though.
That's a G7/B (a G7 chord with the 3rd - the B - in the bass). If the 5th is not altered (ie. flat or sharp), then it's not required for a 7th chord.

It can also be interpreted as an Fsus2/B.

It sounds interesting because of the slight dissonance, the major 2nd (whole step) interval between the F and the G.
Quote by QuarryMan
I want to write a song for somebody on classical guitar. What are some good serious sounding chords?

I have no idea what a "serious-sounding chord" is???

How a chord sounds depends on its context too. A Dm chord in the key of Dm will sound very different than a Dm chord in the key of C major.

I would say that all chords are "good" chords. I cannot think of a bad one!!

Have you written any songs before?
Last edited by maikii at Jun 4, 2011,