So I'm looking to get an OD pedal to give my JCA50H a little boost. Any recommendations as to a good overdrive for less than $200? I play a lot of stuff - mostly punk, hard rock, and hardcore. My fav bands are Rise Against and Story of the Year and I'm looking to get a similar sound to that.

New stuff is preferred, and as for location, my nearest GC/similar large guitar store is over a half hour away so for all intents and purposes anything you can order from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center online is fine with me. This'll be for home use and gigging as well. My current gear is in the sig but if you don't feel like reading it it's mostly gonna be an Ibanez RG or S through a JCA50H and a Marshall 1960A cab.

I've already looked at the Ibanez TS9 (and the TS9DX) as well a Maxon OD808. Are those pretty decent for the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance :]
Gear:
Ibanez RG3770
Ibanez S5EX1
Jackson SLS3
Jackson RR24
Jet City JCA50H
Marshall 1960A
If you want to get away cheaply you should look into a digitech bad monkey, very similar to a tubescreamer, very high quality, lower price. I use it for boosting (volume 10, neutral EQ and gain on 0) my laney and it gives me a wonderful crunchy sound, very much like a tubescreamer.

Highly recommended.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Quote by cookies!
So I'm looking to get an OD pedal to give my JCA50H a little boost. Any recommendations as to a good overdrive for less than $200? I play a lot of stuff - mostly punk, hard rock, and hardcore. My fav bands are Rise Against and Story of the Year and I'm looking to get a similar sound to that.

New stuff is preferred, and as for location, my nearest GC/similar large guitar store is over a half hour away so for all intents and purposes anything you can order from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center online is fine with me. This'll be for home use and gigging as well. My current gear is in the sig but if you don't feel like reading it it's mostly gonna be an Ibanez RG or S through a JCA50H and a Marshall 1960A cab.

I've already looked at the Ibanez TS9 (and the TS9DX) as well a Maxon OD808. Are those pretty decent for the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance :]

Well TS9's are pretty modifiable. I know Tim (Greeny23 here on UG) could hook you up with something that could do what you want really well.

Give him a holler.
I'm picking up a Hardwire CM-2 tonight to compliment my JCA100h.
Pm me if you've got some pedals to sell
Heard good things about the Green Rhino...thinking about picking one up myself in the near future.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
I'm not sure if it is quite what you are looking for, but a really cheap/interesting/versatile overdrive pedal is the Electro Harmonix Germanium OD. It doesn't really drive your guitar too much but it gives a huge volume boost and paints your tone with a very unique sound. It also has a "Volts" knob that can give you a large variety of cool dying battery sounds. Its hard to say what it sounds like because it varies based on your guitar.

If you combo it with your amp's drive or another OD pedal it can really help you get a very aggressive OD and help restore/maintain bottom end.

Here's a good quality demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbdzwuKd4bM

It sounds way different on my Jazzmaster. That video gives it a very dirty/punchy sound while mine just kind of warms it up and gives it an interesting tone.
Last edited by poopiedeloopie at Jun 2, 2011,
newer version of the tubescreamer or maxon od808 are good choices. Dont waste your time with the original tubescreamers.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
newer version of the tubescreamer or maxon od808 are good choices. Dont waste your time with the original tubescreamers.

wait, are you serious..?
mojostompboxes.com
Save your money and get this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-CL1-Classic-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105811939-i1524102.gc

BTW, the above has an internal switch that people say when flipped turns it into a Zak Wylde OD.

A slightly better OD for quite a bit more is the FullTone OCD. Another suggestion if you want a good OD combined with a good distortion is the Jekyll & Hyde.

Also, poopieloopie's recommendation for the Germanium OD might be upped to the Germanium 4. I have the 4 and it's a great pedal. In fact I have all that I've recommended except the OCD, which my buddy has and I've used it quite a bit.
Last edited by fly135 at Jun 3, 2011,
I did extensive testing and found a T Rex Alberta to be the best for boosting amps.

I've got one that I hardy use anymore (cause I've got an Okko Dominator) and I'd be willing to sell. Is practcally new. PM me
Maxon OD808, Fulltone Full Drive, Ibanez TS9... They all rule.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by fly135
Another suggestion if you want a good OD combined with a good distortion is the Jekyll & Hyde.

Or if you'd like strictly an OD (not combined with a distortion pedal), the Route 808 is the overdrive part of the Jekyll and Hyde.
Fender Strat -> MXR GT-OD -> Lovepedal OD-11 -> MXR Black Label Chorus -> Mesa F-30

Exclusively using V-Picks!
Quote by fly135
Save your money and get this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-CL1-Classic-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-105811939-i1524102.gc

BTW, the above has an internal switch that people say when flipped turns it into a Zak Wylde OD.

A slightly better OD for quite a bit more is the FullTone OCD. Another suggestion if you want a good OD combined with a good distortion is the Jekyll & Hyde.

Also, poopieloopie's recommendation for the Germanium OD might be upped to the Germanium 4. I have the 4 and it's a great pedal. In fact I have all that I've recommended except the OCD, which my buddy has and I've used it quite a bit.

Yeah, like you said, I think the Germanium4 would be better for his needs. I completely forgot about that pedal.
Id go with amaxon od808
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
xotic fx ac booster
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Route 66 distortion / compression
MY GEAR:
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Takamine Jasmine J33?
60's J bass copy (trying to sell or trade)
fender mustang 1
Victoria Regal II
big muff
seed of life overdrive

"We make music for hipster strippers" Dan Auerbach
The Route 808 is like a tubescreamer, but cheaper, more volume, and better quality. I just got one to replace my TS10.