Holy crap man I've spent a long time trying to figure this out, haha and along the way I've come up with quite a few different things, but none of them are what I really want to be able to do.

It's the sound that is not really a scream or a growl or a yell. To me it is a mix of everything but I don't even know. This is a unique thing that I just can't figure out and I know others have trouble as well. Recently I have actually been kind of hurting my voice a little bit trying to find out what other possible things I could be doing, and now I know I really need help with this.

I found a few live videos that seem like they give really really good hints to being able to do it. See if you can figure it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62Q7v12hnQ - This is one of the first recordings of Tim McIlrath, current singer of Rise Against and a "master"of this technique. I figure listening to how he started off could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2N6YpolpI0#t=3m47s - Now this one is him today, and I think it might be an even better help. He "cautiously" transitions into it and I just can't get my voice to do even though it sounds so simple.

Somebody out there is more lucky then me! Please listen to these and see if you can do it! Or if you can get something at least similar! If you can please post a comment!
its a controlled air-pressure induced scream or growl, whichever you prefer to call it. It comes from forcing the air out of your lungs faster then usual but not with additional force. I have pdf book about that kinda stuff, pm me your email and ill send it to you so you can check it out. Its not a hard technique once you realize how to do it, hope this helps a little bit!
Quote by TylorTopaz
its a controlled air-pressure induced scream or growl, whichever you prefer to call it. It comes from forcing the air out of your lungs faster then usual but not with additional force. I have pdf book about that kinda stuff, pm me your email and ill send it to you so you can check it out. Its not a hard technique once you realize how to do it, hope this helps a little bit!

Man I would freakin' love that if you could send me that! I PM'ed you my email!