I tryed one of these out today at the local store. Since they have came out all I have heard is great things about tone and the ISF nob. Well ether they had 3 broken display models, or everyone is full of crap, because the thing sucks! Let me rephrase that the od ch sucks! I found the clean ch to be pretty warm, but not sparkly at all. And the OD ch was utter mudd, I could not get a good distortion out of it and I fiddled with them for over an hour. So ether the 3 they had out were all screwed up(wich I doubt) or most people that comment on these and tell people to buy them, don't waist there hard earned $$. I have to say that it was very very unimpressive.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I tryed one of these out today at the local store. Since they have came out all I have heard is great things about tone and the ISF nob. Well ether they had 3 broken display models, or everyone is full of crap, because the thing sucks! Let me rephrase that the od ch sucks! I found the clean ch to be pretty warm, but not sparkly at all. And the OD ch was utter mudd, I could not get a good distortion out of it and I fiddled with them for over an hour. So ether the 3 they had out were all screwed up(wich I doubt) or most people that comment on these and tell people to buy them, don't waist there hard earned $$. I have to say that it was very very unimpressive.

well put
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Quote by MetalManForLife
i spy a troll

NO troll, just sharing my experience after testing these amps. I was expecting an "awesome" tone and it was very disapointed when it was very muddy and indistinguishable between notes. honestly my old spider 1 sounds much better than what the ht 20 did IMO.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
what cab did you use?

i found the new blackstar speakers to really need a break in myself.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Robbgnarly
honestly my old spider 1 sounds much better than what the ht 20 did IMO.

Either you were playing with a Bullet Squier on the neck pickup with the tone knob all the way down ...or you were playing on .5 volume.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 3, 2011,
it was the matching blackstar 2x12ht cab and i also did a quick test with a 1936 and I didn't notice a whole lot of diffrence besides the bass responce.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ayses
Either you were playing with a Bullet Squier on the neck pickup with the tone knob all the way down ...or you were playing on .5 volume.

no it was a classic vibe tele, I know its not the best, but it sounded fine through a vox lil nite train, and a marshall class 5 combo and it sounded diecent. and no I was asked to turn down once.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
it was the matching blackstar 2x12ht cab and i also did a quick test with a 1936 and I didn't notice a whole lot of diffrence besides the bass responce.

i hear you.

well they aren't for everyone.

try a humbucker guitar through it next time. not all amps love single coils.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Cant expect a well written review from someone who cant spell. Either way, how long have you been playing? what were you attempting to play and what were your expectations? Did you play at a high volume? I just ordered one because i am very impressed with how well it performs for such a low wattage amp. The bass response lightens up the more you crank the master. Try playing with the volume on the OD channel at 5 o clock (or 9 out of 10) and keep the master at around 4 (11o clock). Its one hell of an all tube monster. My experience has found that ISF should be all the way to the left and all EQ be at 12 o clock
Well what do you expect from the guys that brought you the JCM900? Sacked from Marshall for almost single-handedly bringing the company into disrepute with crappy hybrids who then started a company of their own. How could that possibly go wrong?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bought a blackstar ht studio 20 combo and I love it. First of all it sounds great at low volumes in both clear and OD channels. I compared it to vox 4/1/quarter watt model and to ht5 watt model and ht 40 watt model. i was trading in a fender hotrod.

I found that the blackstar20 had wonderul adjustments at the low end. ie 1-3 on volume scale. nice and smooth. The ht 40 and the ht 5 and the fender all jumped from 0 to 3. they did not incrementally increase in volume. I live in a townhome and share a wall with a neighbor. The HT's offer a master volume as well as a clear volume and a OD volume. But the ht20 was smoother on the lower volumes than the 40 or 5.
I thought I would have a perfect amp combo with the vox ac4tv and bought it online without playing it. i mean 1/4 watt must work great, but I was hoping to be able to crank the vox volume so I could open those tubes, bbut it was way to loud forr late night playing. I am keeping the vox as it is a nice little practice amp to lug around to different rooms but overall the ht20 gave me the best volume controls in both clear and OD. i am not a metal player so perhaps it does not create enough distortion for that style of music. But for me the ht20 is a really nice well rounded amp. sounds great with my prs, strat, tele and lespaul.
Real pleased
Last edited by baimo at Aug 6, 2011,
i picked one up this weekend and it just keeps sounding better and better my ear. The distortion has just the right amount of gain, killer definition and no fuzz whatsoever. And the cleans - pretty amazing im not sure whats not to like on the cleans but to each his own. not to mention the effects loop has my pedals sounding better than ever. I'm digging this thing.
^^ Reported for necrobumping

And based on Rob's comments

Quote by Robbgnarly
because the thing sucks! Let me rephrase that the od ch sucks! And the OD ch was utter mudd, I could not get a good distortion out of it and I fiddled with them for over an hour. So ether the 3 they had out were all screwed up(wich I doubt) or most people that comment on these and tell people to buy them, don't waist there hard earned $$. I have to say that it was very very unimpressive.

- it doesn't appear to me that he was even interested in one. Go spew your opinions in the Blackstar thread