So I always hear people saying they play 16th notes at x bpm.

does that mean they're playing 16 notes per beat?

if, when practicing tremolo (I suck at it), i play 4 notes (i.e., up-down-up-down) per beat when the metronome is set at 90 bpm am i playing quarter notes (4 notes per beat?) at 90 bpm?

I feel that this is wrong because i see people claiming to play 16th notes at twice the bpm, meaning they'd be playing literally 8 times faster than me, but maybe..
In 4/4 time, there are 4 beats in a measure, and a quarter note gets one beat. Now, there's four 16th notes in one quarter note. This means that there are...16 16th notes in a measure. So to answer your first question: Yes.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
You've got the last part right. 16th notes = double the amount of 8th notes. I believe the definition is beat per minute.
It's not per beat it's per measure. When someone says they are playing 16th notes at X bpm you assume they are playing in 4/4 time which means 4 beats per measure with the quarter note equalling 1 beat. 16th notes at 150bpm means they are playing 16 notes per measure at 150bpm. In 4/4 that means they are playing 4 notes per beat. 4 notes per beat with 4 beats per measure equals 16 notes
Quote by vjferrara
It's not per beat it's per measure. When someone says they are playing 16th notes at X bpm you assume they are playing in 4/4 time which means 4 beats per measure with the quarter note equalling 1 beat. 16th notes at 150bpm means they are playing 16 notes per measure at 150bpm. In 4/4 that means they are playing 4 notes per beat. 4 notes per beat with 4 beats per measure equals 16 notes

ahh thanks!

so i am playing 16th notes at 90bpm? i have no desire to shred, but what is a decent tremolo speed to get to to add some super fast licks in here and there? think SRV fast.
Quote by vjferrara

Good job saying exactly what I did.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

so what bpm would i need to get up to to play SRV licks?

if i can play 16th notes perfectly at 95 bpm, is this considered terribly slow? i can obviously play faster but the technique becomes more sloppy.
Quote by gquady09
Good job saying exactly what I did.

You're welcome. On my phone so I couldn't see that anyone else had posted by the time I finished.

Quote by -TM-

if i can play 16th notes perfectly at 95 bpm, is this considered terribly slow? i can obviously play faster but the technique becomes more sloppy.

95 isn't too bad. We all started somewhere. 120-150 would prob be most SRV songs. You have to build your speed up a bit
Theory is fun!

Quote by vjferrara
You're welcome. On my phone so I couldn't see that anyone else had posted by the time I finished.

95 isn't too bad. We all started somewhere. 120-150 would prob be most SRV songs. You have to build your speed up a bit

thanks, i've just started practicing my tremolo: how quickly did you tend to imrpove? i started at 70 bpm about a week ago, and i'm currently moving up a few bpm comfortably each day, but i'm guessing this progress will slow eventually, do you aim for, say, 5 bpm per week or something?
Quote by -TM-
thanks, i've just started practicing my tremolo: how quickly did you tend to imrpove? i started at 70 bpm about a week ago, and i'm currently moving up a few bpm comfortably each day, but i'm guessing this progress will slow eventually, do you aim for, say, 5 bpm per week or something?

how are you practicing speed?

are you playing the licks to an SRV song or are you doing some exercise?

practicing exercises makes you play those exercises faster....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by -TM-

It doesn't matter.

If you want to play SRV licks then go away and practice the song. Exercises help you with discipline and improving your technique but they're not going to mean you're automatically able to play a song once you hit the right "level"....this isn't a video game. If you spend too much time on exercises all that happens is you get good at exercises, and if you spend too much time on one exercise you just get good at one exercise.

Less exercises, more songs - songs need practicing too. Don't get hung up on numbers. they're meaningless - all that matters is whether you can play the songs you want to play. If you can't then practice more, if you can play everything you want to play then you don't need to practice as much, but if you do you'll get even better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com