So we finally got our new drummer's kit from the guy's house it was sitting at for a while. This kit was DIRTY! I mean SERIOUS oxidation and dirt.
His high hat was GREEN!!!
I tried everything I could thing of.
Brasso, Noxon, Fine cut rubbing compound, all with a "power ball" even a scotchbrite wheel on a drill! NOTHING worked!
I finally had to take a brass wire wheel to it! 4 Batteries (Craftsman 19.2v drill) later it FINALLY looks good. I couldn't believe they could get that bad! Maybe if you dunk them in orange juice and let them sit in the sun for a few weeks!
What else MIGHT have worked? we've got a few more cymbals to clean up that I really do NOT want to hit with a wire wheel.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Last edited by Vinson at Jun 3, 2011,
OMG NO! Get some Bar Keepers Friend from any grocery store or walmart/kmart...it's a lot like that Ajax bleach, but it has some extra ingredients which really do the trick. It's amazing! My drum teacher got me into that stuff a while back. Just be sure to put some tape over the logos if you want to keep them intact, it'll take them right off. But scrub the cymbal down good with that stuff, and don't leave it on. Do one small area and rinse, it may start eating away at the cymbal itself if you leave it on for too long. I'd imagine the orange juice thing would do more damage to it...? Just please never use brass wires again...

EDIT: Get the powder, not the liquid...I've just realized they've a liquid too...
Last edited by AmericanZero13 at Jun 3, 2011,
No no! I don't use orange juice! I meant to get them THAT bad again, it's have to do something like that LOL!
I'll try the bar keeper's friend on his max stacks...they are horrible as well.
The wire wheel actually worked great. It was a brass one (not a steel wheel) and even THAT took quite a lot of time and effort Looks almost brand new (no logos)!!
I did give it a nice light wiping with "Corrosion X" to keep them from oxidizing again, Pulled all the remaining dirt off of the hat as well.

Thanx for the tip. Off to get some bar keepers friend.
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
the other day I cleaned an old cymbal (from like the 80's) that a friend of mine gave me. He gave me two actually (of the same zildjian crash), and they were greener than a lost penny.

I let some pepsi and ketchup sit on the cymbal for a minute or two and just scrubbed away with a wire brush. I even used a bit of lemon juice and windex. After a good 10 minutes of scrubbing I looked at the two cymbals and the one I cleaned looked brand new in comparison. Sounds ace as well

Not really a textbook cleaning method but you can get those cymbals to really shine with just a few items from your fridge.
Cola ketchup and lemon....so Acids are the thing....giving me ideas.