I need new pots for my Ibanez (RG320QS), and I have no idea what kind to get.

I mean, I know that I need a B500K for the volume pot, and an A500K for the tone, but I have no idea what dimensions I need, or linear/audio taper, long shaft/ short shaft, etc. It's really unhelpful that all of the pots I'm looking at don't have any sort of dimension measurements at all in the description, so I'm lost.

I've bought pots for this guitar before, and they were way too big (they didn't fit into the holes in the guitar). I had to order another 2, and they fit, but this was over a year ago, and I don't remember what kind I got that time.

Help?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 3, 2011,
the "A" stands for audio, "B" stands for linear. I would assume short shaft, as long shafts would require cutting. as for dimenisons, why dont you measure your current pots (or holes if none) and shop around for the closest fitting?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
you probably actually need an audio for the volume pot and a linear for the tone pot.

probably just get the smallest ones.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=POTENT&SEARCH_TREE02=02_CTS&SEARCH_TREE03=01_AUDIO

3/8inch mounting

actually you'll want the ones at the bottom of that page. the 16mm body as opposed to the 24mm
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jun 3, 2011,
it must have been CTS pots, if they were to big. Pretty well any other no-name or alpha pot will fit your Ibanez. I think Bourns makes pots in metric or SEA. Metric is what your Ibanez needs.

Either long shaft or shoft shaft won't matter all that much. If the shaft is a mm longer than your existing pots, the knob will be a little higher is all. But you can compensate for this by adding another washer and/or nut inside the control cavity (to lessen the amount of shaft going through the hole)

as to the matter of audio and linear, it's really a matter of personal preference.
the "B" or "linear taper" pot rolls off the frequencies along a strait line. BUT they way our ears hear this is with a noticeable change in the first 10% or so, followed by about 80% of hardly noticeable change, followed by another 10% of noticeable change near the end

"A" or "audio taper" pots are made to compensate for this. The tapering is different at each end of the tapering spectrum, which to our ears sounds like the complete roll off from 100% to 0% is more "gradual" and "smooth"
Ok. Thank you all, lots of helpful info. I will try using A for the volume and B for the tone and see if I like that better.

And thanks for that link AM. That site is amazing, I wish I would have known about it for years now.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not aiming for higher quality right now. I'm just putting in pots, anything that'll work. My Ibanez has been completely devoid of electronics for like 5 months or something.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Essentially A pots will give you a more curved, natural sounding volume rise. Linear pots give you that sort of "suddenly comes on at 3" effect. You can use either for tone and volume, depending on which you prefer.

Gear:
-Custom Frankenstrat (Now in bits pending a home-made Charvel So-Cal mod)
-Boss ME-25 (Modded with gaffer tape and blu-tack)

Quote by Xiaoxi
Modes and scales are dumb and useless. Stop learning them. No, seriously.