Page 1 of 3
Ok so I've finished berklee music theory 1.
The aspects I learned are:
Pulse and meter
Notes
Rests
Accidentals
Key signatures
Enharmonic equivalent
Half and whole steps
Chromatic scale
Whole tone scale
Major scale
Major scale degree names(didn't learn them as the book suggested I learned tonic super tonic instead os do re)
Major scales using sharps
Major scales using flats
Minor scale
Relative major/minor relationship
Minor scale degree names
Harmonic minor scale
Ascending melodic minor scale
Descending melodic minor both traditional and real
Minor scale key sigs
Interval naming
compoud intervals
So ask me!
I really don't see the point in doing this again...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I really don't see the point in doing this again...

It's going to be another argument thread!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Simon and Jethro are jamming with Pablo and Sebastien. Jethro's parents are out of town on a couples retreat to help save their loveless sham of a marriage, so the boys are all relishing the chance to finally play with their amps all the way up to 11. Simon has forgotten his guitar and is forced to go home and get it, Sebastien and Pablo look on with disgust at the elementary mistake their friend has made. While Simon is gone, Jethro tells Sebastien and Pablo that he never really liked Simon and he wants him out of the band, they both agree and decide to draw straws to settle who will break the news. Jethro goes to the kitchen and stares in grimace at the mess his friends have made, Simon's forgotten glass of juice left carelessly dangling over the edge of the counter, his lonely straw dancing in a sea of orangey goodness. Jethro knows that just one false move could end in catastrophe, but this didn't bother him; he was used to living dangerously. He opens several identical drawers in quick succession; he had lived in the same house his whole life and knew the kitchen like back of his hand, his fastest time for opening all 7 drawers was 4.2 seconds (a feat he had not attempted for several years) but it wasn't about speed right now, he had to find those straws. His soul is crushed as he discovers Simon has already taken the last remaining straw, he decides he will cut the straw into 3 pieces in order for the informal election process to begin. As he turns himself away, his worst nightmare is confirmed, his elbow accidentally clips the protruding straw and the glass begins its agonizing descent towards the ground. His arms flail wildly as he desperately tries to save the falling glass, his valiant attempts are futile as the glass crashes on the marble floor, exploding in a pool of orange gunk and vanquished dreams. Jethro has no alternative but to get a dust pan and brush, and clean it up. "That's the last straw.." he mutters, before laughing uncontrollably at the surprising aptness of the situation, he tells this joke to Pablo and Sebastien but they fail to see the irony. Once Simon returns, Pablo takes him to one side and explains the situation, Jethro chastises him for leaving his glass so recklessly on the counter and explains again the funny thing he said moments ago. Simon is upset with this bullshit and starts to racially abuse Pablo. Sebastien is forced to step in and tells Simon that his language is unacceptable, Simon is having none of it and implies that he and Sebastien's maternal grandmother have regular intercourse on a weekly basis, Sebastien ferociously denies these outrageous claims and suggests that Simon should have intercourse with himself and that his member is insufficient in both length and girth, and thus would subsequently fail at adequately pleasing his nan. Simon becomes enraged and launches himself at Sebastien, he pulls out a knife and stabs his friend in the gut, Pablo watches on in terror and tries to escape from all the mayhem. At this precise moment, Jethro whips out a C7th chord followed by a Gm7th, he tells his friends he is playing the Mixolydian mode and that Fb is really just an E# in disguise. What are the notes of the G minor scale?
Quote by Calibos
Simon and Jethro are jamming with Pablo and Sebastien. Jethro's parents are out of town on a couples retreat to help save their loveless sham of a marriage, so the boys are all relishing the chance to finally play with their amps all the way up to 11. Simon has forgotten his guitar and is forced to go home and get it, Sebastien and Pablo look on with disgust at the elementary mistake their friend has made. While Simon is gone, Jethro tells Sebastien and Pablo that he never really liked Simon and he wants him out of the band, they both agree and decide to draw straws to settle who will break the news. Jethro goes to the kitchen and stares in grimace at the mess his friends have made, Simon's forgotten glass of juice left carelessly dangling over the edge of the counter, his lonely straw dancing in a sea of orangey goodness. Jethro knows that just one false move could end in catastrophe, but this didn't bother him; he was used to living dangerously. He opens several identical drawers in quick succession; he had lived in the same house his whole life and knew the kitchen like back of his hand, his fastest time for opening all 7 drawers was 4.2 seconds (a feat he had not attempted for several years) but it wasn't about speed right now, he had to find those straws. His soul is crushed as he discovers Simon has already taken the last remaining straw, he decides he will cut the straw into 3 pieces in order for the informal election process to begin. As he turns himself away, his worst nightmare is confirmed, his elbow accidentally clips the protruding straw and the glass begins its agonizing descent towards the ground. His arms flail wildly as he desperately tries to save the falling glass, his valiant attempts are futile as the glass crashes on the marble floor, exploding in a pool of orange gunk and vanquished dreams. Jethro has no alternative but to get a dust pan and brush, and clean it up. "That's the last straw.." he mutters, before laughing uncontrollably at the surprising aptness of the situation, he tells this joke to Pablo and Sebastien but they fail to see the irony. Once Simon returns, Pablo takes him to one side and explains the situation, Jethro chastises him for leaving his glass so recklessly on the counter and explains again the funny thing he said moments ago. Simon is upset with this bullshit and starts to racially abuse Pablo. Sebastien is forced to step in and tells Simon that his language is unacceptable, Simon is having none of it and implies that he and Sebastien's maternal grandmother have regular intercourse on a weekly basis, Sebastien ferociously denies these outrageous claims and suggests that Simon should have intercourse with himself and that his member is insufficient in both length and girth, and thus would subsequently fail at adequately pleasing his nan. Simon becomes enraged and launches himself at Sebastien, he pulls out a knife and stabs his friend in the gut, Pablo watches on in terror and tries to escape from all the mayhem. At this precise moment, Jethro whips out a C7th chord followed by a Gm7th, he tells his friends he is playing the Mixolydian mode and that Fb is really just an E# in disguise. What are the notes of the G minor scale?

I already knew this was one shit story so I looked up for capitol letters =p
If you want natural minor it's G A Bb C D Eb F G.
Name the primary chords in the key of C and describe their function.
shred is gaudy music
What major key signature consists of 4 flats? 7 sharps?

What are these keys' relative and parallel minor keys?
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
What major key signature consists of 4 flats? 7 sharps?

What are these keys' relative and parallel minor keys?

4 flats
Ab major
Relative minor:F minor
Paralel minor:Ab minor
7 sharps
There is no one with 7 sharps as far as I know.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Name the primary chords in the key of C and describe their function.

If the key is C major it's C tonic Dm supertonic E mediant F subdominant G dominant A sub mediant B leading tone.
I have learnt these terms but what the hell can I do with these names?
I read one of your posts on my topic and it said knowing how they function will open doors.
But what can I do with these functions?
Btw berklee music theory book 2 is about harmony, 1 is scales and sight reading which I skipped.
alright. but you asked for it. i'm giving you these questions based exclusively on the topics you've given.

1) explain the primary difference between 3/4 meter and 6/8 meter and classify them both (duple, triple, quadruple - and - simple, compound).
2) how many 32nd notes fit into a dotted 8th note?
3) you're in the key of F# minor. you play a G#. is that G# an accidental?
4) what is the key signature of A major? Eb minor? C# major?
5) is it more common to see D# or Eb in the key of Ab minor?
6) how many whole steps and half steps are in the diatonic scale?
7) using thirds, what is the only type of chord that can be built using the whole tone scale?
8) classify the chords (I, ii, IV, V, viiº as either tonic, predominant, or dominant.
9) I is the tonic. iii is the mediant. V is the dominant. why is vi the submediant, and IV the subdominant?
10) using some kind of music notation software (if you don't have one, get some sheet music and use a pencil, then take a picture of it, and yes i'm serious), write Ab major, C# major, Bb major, and E major. do not use key signatures, instead apply accidentals where necessary.
11) using some kind of music notation software, write G natural minor, Bb melodic minor (real), F harmonic minor, and G# melodic minor (traditional). write key signatures and apply accidentals where necessary.
12) explain the difference between a subtonic and a leading tone.
13) what is a M6 above F#? a m3 above Eb? a d5 above G? an A4 above Ab?
14) what is the interval formed between a C# and a C# three octaves above it?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by liampje
4 flats
Ab major
Relative minor:F minor
Paralel minor:Ab minor
7 sharps
There is no one with 7 sharps as far as I know.

C# major/A# minor. Did you bother learning the circle of fifths?

Thank you Calibos for the great read. I wish this thread was about your story.
Quote by AeolianWolf
alright. but you asked for it. i'm giving you these questions based exclusively on the topics you've given.

1) explain the primary difference between 3/4 meter and 6/8 meter and classify them both (duple, triple, quadruple - and - simple, compound).
7) using thirds, what is the only type of chord that can be built using the whole tone scale?
8) classify the chords (I, ii, IV, V, viiº as either tonic, predominant, or dominant.
9) I is the tonic. iii is the mediant. V is the dominant. why is vi the submediant, and IV the subdominant?
10) using some kind of music notation software (if you don't have one, get some sheet music and use a pencil, then take a picture of it, and yes i'm serious), write Ab major, C# major, Bb major, and E major. do not use key signatures, instead apply accidentals where necessary.
11) using some kind of music notation software, write G natural minor, Bb melodic minor (real), F harmonic minor, and G# melodic minor (traditional). write key signatures and apply accidentals where necessary.

Quote by AeolianWolf

1)3/4 is 1 2 3 where the stress is on the 1 and 6/8 is 1/ 2 3/ 1/ 2 3/ sledges mark the stresses.
Haven't learned about dupe compound etc.
2)1/8 dot=0,125+0,5*0,125=0,1875
1/32=0,03125
How many?=0,1875/0,03125
How many?=6
3)Nope
4)A major=F# G# C#
Eb minor = Eb Gb Ab Bb Db
C# major= C# D# F#G#A#
5)D#
6)2 halfs 5 wholes
7)augumented
8)I=Tonic ii= supertonic IV=subdominant V= dominant viidim=leading
9)sub means under so it's before the mediant and dominant
10)11) will do that but not now btw I skipped sight reading
12)Subtonic is for minor and leading tone is for major.
13)D# F# D C#
14)P18

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by liampje

5)D#

5) Eb, actually. It's in the key signature! You would likely see a D# when leading to an E, but you'd much more likely see that E written as an Fb (it's enharmonic equivalent). This means you'd probably only see the D# when borrowed chords come into play.
9) True for subdominant, but mediant refers to the interval of a third. The iii chord is the mediant in the major scale. The vi is submediant because it's a third below the tonic.
12) Right. The subtonic has gained a lot of popularity in contemporary music and will be seen in major keys as well, as a borrowed chord with a weaker dominant function. By the same token, the leading tone is a very important concept for minor keys as well (especially in the classical camp); it's the foundation of resolution and why we have the harmonic minor. But you are correct, subtonic is diatonic to natural minor and leading tone the same for major keys.
Quote by liampje
1)3/4 is 1 2 3 where the stress is on the 1 and 6/8 is 1/ 2 3/ 1/ 2 3/ sledges mark the stresses.
Haven't learned about dupe compound etc.
2)1/8 dot=0,125+0,5*0,125=0,1875
1/32=0,03125
How many?=0,1875/0,03125
How many?=6
3)Nope
4)A major=F# G# C#
Eb minor = Eb Gb Ab Bb Db
C# major= C# D# F#G#A#
5)D#
6)2 halfs 5 wholes
7)augumented
8)I=Tonic ii= supertonic IV=subdominant V= dominant viidim=leading
10)11) will do that but not now btw I skipped sight reading
13)D# F# D C#
14)P18

1) i got your 3/4. i have no idea what you mean for 6/8, which leads me to believe you don't get it. no credit, because i asked for the difference between the two. 3/4 is simple triple, 6/8 is duple compound. 0/1.
2) lol math. got it right. 1/2.
3) that's right. 2/3.
4) i asked for key signatures, not pentatonic scales. you got A right, though. 2.33/4.
5) Eb. 2.33/5.
6) yep, 2 half and 5 whole. 3.33/6.
7) augmented it is. 4.33/7.
8) i didn't ask for the names of the degrees. i asked for a label of function (tonic/predominant/dominant). I = tonic. ii, IV = predominant. V, viiº = dominant. remember, predominant isn't subdominant (even though IV is both). 4.33/8.
9) it's "before the mediant and dominant"? meaning what? that the submediant (vi) comes before the mediant (iii)? 6<3? the mediant is a third above the tonic, so the submediant is a third below the tonic. same deal with the dominant and subdominant. 4.33/9.
10 + 11) waiting on them, won't count them now.
12) subtonic is the b7, leading tone is the 7. one is a half step away from the tonic, the other is a whole step away. the only reason i'm not giving credit for this is because the leading tone is very commonly found in minor keys, so to say that one is for major and one is for minor is incorrect. 4.33/10.
13) you don't seem to get intervals. the only one right was the first. M6 above F# is a D#. that's right. a m3 above Eb is Gb. Eb to F# is an A2. G to D is a P5. G to Db is a d5. Ab to C# is an A3. a P4 above it would be Db, so an A4 would be D. (looking at it, i think you mixed the last two up. but G to C# would be an A4, not a d5). i guess it would be fair to give you half credit for this one. 4.88/11.
14) no. a P22. one octave is a P8. two octaves is a P15, and three octaves is a P22. 4.88/12.

even i think i was strict on the grading and a bit more of a hard-ass than is necessary, but foundation is everything. you wanted your theory to be tested, and it was tested. instead of being a douchebag and telling you that you don't know shit, i strongly advise that you look at that which you don't understand so well and review it.
Quote by AeolianWolf
1) i got your 3/4. i have no idea what you mean for 6/8, which leads me to believe you don't get it. no credit, because i asked for the difference between the two. 3/4 is simple triple, 6/8 is duple compound. 0/1.
2) lol math. got it right. 1/2.
3) that's right. 2/3.
4) i asked for key signatures, not pentatonic scales. you got A right, though. 2.33/4.
5) Eb. 2.33/5.
6) yep, 2 half and 5 whole. 3.33/6.
7) augmented it is. 4.33/7.
8) i didn't ask for the names of the degrees. i asked for a label of function (tonic/predominant/dominant). I = tonic. ii, IV = predominant. V, viiº = dominant. remember, predominant isn't subdominant (even though IV is both). 4.33/8.
9) it's "before the mediant and dominant"? meaning what? that the submediant (vi) comes before the mediant (iii)? 6<3? the mediant is a third above the tonic, so the submediant is a third below the tonic. same deal with the dominant and subdominant. 4.33/9.
10 + 11) waiting on them, won't count them now.
12) subtonic is the b7, leading tone is the 7. one is a half step away from the tonic, the other is a whole step away. the only reason i'm not giving credit for this is because the leading tone is very commonly found in minor keys, so to say that one is for major and one is for minor is incorrect. 4.33/10.
13) you don't seem to get intervals. the only one right was the first. M6 above F# is a D#. that's right. a m3 above Eb is Gb. Eb to F# is an A2. G to D is a P5. G to Db is a d5. Ab to C# is an A3. a P4 above it would be Db, so an A4 would be D. (looking at it, i think you mixed the last two up. but G to C# would be an A4, not a d5). i guess it would be fair to give you half credit for this one. 4.88/11.
14) no. a P22. one octave is a P8. two octaves is a P15, and three octaves is a P22. 4.88/12.

even i think i was strict on the grading and a bit more of a hard-ass than is necessary, but foundation is everything. you wanted your theory to be tested, and it was tested. instead of being a douchebag and telling you that you don't know shit, i strongly advise that you look at that which you don't understand so well and review it.

Thank you master wolf. =p
1) Finish this progression of secondary dominants until C:
C - A -Dm - ...
2) Give me the tritone substitution of the dominant in Ab major.
3) Harmonize the Db melodic minor scale.
4) Which notes make up G lydian and G mixolydian?
5) What's the difference between just intonation and equal temperement?
Quote by DearMoose
C - A -Dm - ...

I don't think those concepts were covered in his original post, just saying.
Quote by DearMoose
C - A -Dm - ...

1)I have only read book one which is only about notes not harmony but Ill give it a shot.
C-A-Dm- I can't think of anything
2)that's A
3)Db minor Eb major Edim Gb major Ab major Bb major C dim Db minor again
4)G lydian: G A B C# D E F# G
G mixolydian: G A B C D E F G
5)What subject is this question about?
Have you ever read the list I gave in the starting message?
Because non of these match the stuff I learned.
Last edited by liampje at Jun 4, 2011,
Not again....

Anyways, harmonizing the melodic minor was completely off....
Last edited by deHufter at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by deHufter
Not again....

Anyways, harmonizing the melodic minor was completely off....
What was completely off note that I changed the # symbols to b.
Quote by AeolianWolf
remember, predominant isn't subdominant (even though IV is both). 4.33/8.

Whats the difference between predominant and subdominant?
Quote by -Mantra-
Whats the difference between predominant and subdominant?

predominant is the function of a chord when it comes before the dominant. in IV-V-I, IV is the predominant. in ii-V-I, ii is the predominant. IV and ii are the most common predominants. another common one is N6, and i'm sure others will throw more at me.

subdominant refers to something pertaining the fourth note in the diatonic scale. i.e - a major subdominant chord is IV.
Quote by Calibos

I see what you did there
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
predominant is the function of a chord when it comes before the dominant. in IV-V-I, IV is the predominant. in ii-V-I, ii is the predominant. IV and ii are the most common predominants. another common one is N6, and i'm sure others will throw more at me.

subdominant refers to something pertaining the fourth note in the diatonic scale. i.e - a major subdominant chord is IV.

wait a tit-squishin moment, i thought a subdominant chord was a dom7 chord that leads to another dom7 chord? like II7 to V7. and you could have subdominants leading to other subdominants, like VI7 to II7 to V7. am i way off here?

edit: alan, i love how u just told him to figure out the vocals in a bob dylan song
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by TMVATDI
wait a tit-squishin moment

Hahaha...priceless.

Quote by TMVATDI
I thought a subdominant chord was a dom7 chord that leads to another dom7 chord? like II7 to V7. and you could have subdominants leading to other subdominants, like VI7 to II7 to V7. am i way off here?

You're thinking of secondary dominants. A similar idea, though. They don't have to be a dominant 7th, though. The most common one is II - V, often written as V/V - V (the dominant chord's--e.g. E in the key of A--dominant chord: B -> E -> A, dig?)

Subdominant refers to the IV chord, as it is a step below the dominant. The term is often confused with predominants, which applies to a chord with the function of leading to the dominant. In major keys, your diatonic predominants are IV and ii. In minor keys, they are VI and iv. There are other various other predominants you can substitute in, such as a Neapolitan chord, i.e. bII.

You were on the right track, though. Secondary dominants set up a dominant relationship with the next chord: they don't necessarily have to lead to the V or a dominant chord at all! There was a thread around here last week where the chord progression in question was E - G - C - D. The key was E major, with the other chords being borrowed from E minor. So, I - bIII - bVI - bVII. Notice the G -> C dominant relationship. It could be written as I - V/bVI (fifth chord of C) - C - D. So, in this case the TS was setting up his subdominant with it's dominant chord.

I hope this was helpful, my words are kind of failing me right now.
Last edited by soviet_ska at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by TMVATDI
wait a tit-squishin moment, i thought a subdominant chord was a dom7 chord that leads to another dom7 chord? like II7 to V7. and you could have subdominants leading to other subdominants, like VI7 to II7 to V7. am i way off here?

I just want to see how he goes analysing a simple song. We know he has trouble with other songs, through analysing a simple song it'll be more obvious where the flaws lie.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by soviet_ska
Hahaha...priceless.

You're thinking of secondary dominants. A similar idea, though. They don't have to be a dominant 7th, though. The most common one is II - V, often written as V/V - V (the dominant chord's--e.g. E in the key of A--dominant chord: B -> E -> A, dig?)

Subdominant refers to the IV chord, as it is a step below the dominant. The term is often confused with predominants, which applies to a chord with the function of leading to the dominant. In major keys, your diatonic predominants are IV and ii. In minor keys, they are VI and iv. There are other various other predominants you can substitute in, such as a Neapolitan chord, i.e. bII.

You were on the right track, though. Secondary dominants set up a dominant relationship with the next chord: they don't necessarily have to lead to the V or a dominant chord at all! There was a thread around here last week where the chord progression in question was E - G - C - D. The key was E major, with the other chords being borrowed from E minor. So, I - bIII - bVI - bVII. Notice the G -> C dominant relationship. It could be written as I - V/bVI (fifth chord of C) - C - D. So, in this case the TS was setting up his subdominant with it's dominant chord.

I hope this was helpful, my words are kind of failing me right now.

all i read was "you're thinking of secondary dominants" and instantly saw my mistake, i gave my theory books away (bad choice) so sometimes i get the terms mixed up and don't have a great way of checking :p

edit: and i said that about the dylan song because he doesn't hit/hold notes very great, itll be harder to analyze that then a complex song with a good singer not dissing bob tho, i love the rawness and honesty of it.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jun 5, 2011,
Page 1 of 3