My cover band have got a gig coming up and we plan to do the kill (30 seconds to mars) and Devour (Shinedown). However, the kill is in standard tuning but Devour is in drop c . Does anyone have any tips on tuning from one to the other quickly. which would be easiest to do first?
It would be better to go from standard to drop C rather than the other way round, but ideally use two guitars or transpose the drop C song...
Last edited by 100%guitarmad at Jun 3, 2011,
Tuning all your strings on stage will never work. Either transpose the song to drop D or bring multiple guitars.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
I don't really see the issue. Takes me about 40 seconds to go between standard and drop c. It would take even less time, but I always turn the b and e slowly for fear of breaking.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I don't really see the issue. Takes me about 40 seconds to go between standard and drop c. It would take even less time, but I always turn the b and e slowly for fear of breaking.

Gotta make sure you're in with the rest of the band on each string though then. That's time consuming.
Whereas just changing the note on one string is a lot quicker for checking with everyone else.
Quote by SG_dave
Gotta make sure you're in with the rest of the band on each string though then. That's time consuming.
Whereas just changing the note on one string is a lot quicker for checking with everyone else.

I guess I'm just falsely assuming that most people use a pedal tuner because I always have.
Play the song and tune as you play it.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I guess I'm just falsely assuming that most people use a pedal tuner because I always have.

Yeah, I don't have one so usually tune by ear. Then again I don't play live anymore so I would probably invest in one if I were to start gigging again though.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Audiences tend to get bored after about 20 seconds max.
Quote by 100%guitarmad

Throw in a drum solo or something similarly cheesy then.
Quote by 100%guitarmad

Well get the other guys to do something interesting for a while.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Multiple guitars, it's the easiest. Especially if you and the bassist (and maybe another guitarist) have to retune, and if it goes out of tune it will sound horrible.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Just play The Kill in D standard and go to Drop C after. It will be easier on your voice too.
Quote by Snuffles
You are an absolute god, offspring_punk

Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Capo and some tuning adjustments. Try learning it the Shinedown song C standard then capoing the 4th fret for the 30 seconds to mars song or something.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Either:

1. Get your singer to talk shit for a while
2. Take 2 guitars
3. Don't play songs in drop C
Check out my fitness blog here
Bring two guitars per person that are already tuned, or tune down to drop D.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Any of these:

- Buy or borrow another guitar
- Switch from standard to Drop D and play Devour higher. Or get a Morpheus Drop Tune pedal and shift down to Drop C.
- Get the singer to share a really good story to keep the audience distracted.
- Tune to D standard, put a capo on the guitar, play The Kill, remove capo, drop the C, and play Devour.

I really really recommend buying or borrowing another guitar though. You're most likely going to have to tune the guitar a few times as the neck adjusts to the change in tension, and nobody wants to bore their audience.
Quote by SG_dave
You could drop the tuning into Drop D and just play the song as normal. You'll just be in a different key then.

This, or bring two guitars like everyone else said.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

True.

Saves a lot of time.

But really that's unnecessary. I would just transpose the damn song, or just bring a second guitar and have it tuned as needed.