i am using the LeGion vst plug in to record into ableton. i have tried everything i can think of, but i cant get a good tone out of it. i have tried running it solo (w/o a cab) running it through guitar rig 4 with a cab in front of it, and i cant get a good tone out of it. anybody have any suggestions.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
What's your signal chain?

at this point i have no effects. i planned on adding them sparingly afterwards. are there any other GOOD free versatile amp sim vst's/rtas's out there for macs?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Are you using a cab loader and impulses, is the cab loader on? Is the cab loader coming after the amp sim in your chain?

This

If you still don't like that amp look at the rest of the Poulin amps and the TSE amps. Always run impulses after the amp.

If you still can't get a good sound. Then EQ the sound like you would EQ and amp. If you still can't get a good sound have a friend EQ it like an amp. You should be able to get a good sound out of any of the Poulin or TSE amp sims. Also try turning down your gain.
i cant find any cab loaders or impulses for a MAC, so now all my shit sounds, well....like shit.....
Quote by westley23j
i cant find any cab loaders or impulses for a MAC, so now all my shit sounds, well....like shit.....

Their are no free VST Cab Loaders for Mac unfortunately. LA Convolver is free but it is AU.

IR1A is an impulse loader in Mac Vst form but costs about 30-40 euro, thats your best bet.
http://www.mellowmuse.com/IR1A.html
Get the other LePou plugs-ins. They are all great. Remember to put a cab impulse behind the amp sim...

See what happens when you put your tone into a mix. Sometimes amp sims don't sound great alone.
i have all the LePou stuff.... it all sounds like crap. can someone PLEASE just break it down for me. i have just gotten into the whole VST thing 2 days ago. what is a "cab impulse" and what is a "cab loader"? what will work for a Mac, and how do i make it work? your help is GREATLY appreciated!
Quote by westley23j
i have all the LePou stuff.... it all sounds like crap. can someone PLEASE just break it down for me. i have just gotten into the whole VST thing 2 days ago. what is a "cab impulse" and what is a "cab loader"? what will work for a Mac, and how do i make it work? your help is GREATLY appreciated!

So it breaks down like this. A amp has 3 parts, the preamp, the power amp, and your speaker cab. The VST amp sims simulate the preamp of the amp, the cab loader simulates the power amp, and the impulses simulate the speaker and the mic and mic position as if you were actually micing up a real cab.

If you run just the VST amp sim, your only getting the nasty preamp signal, which sounds like crap. So you have to run it through a cab sim and load impulses into that cab sim to add the rest of the components to your tone so it sounds normal.

Mac's are not ideal computers when it comes to amp sims because the software is not available for free like it is with PC's.