Hey guys, need some help here... As of September, i will be buying my first tube amp head... My range is about 500-750 euros, im gonna be buying everything from thomann.de, i really cant buy anything used because i live in greece and i cant find anything used, so new it is... for that same reason, i wont be able to try something before i buy it...

I'd like an amp that can pull off some nice high gain metal distortion ( iced earth kind of tight rhythm chugging would be nice ) and some mellow lead kind of tone as well... nice cleans would be a plus... i need a 2 channel amp(clean/od)... I use a Jackson DKMGT w/emg81-85...

I've been looking around for a while now and i have found that the Orange Thunder30 kind of covers my needs... Other amps i've been looking in are the Blackstar Ht-20 and some jet city amps...

I dont think that i could go over the 30 watt barrier because i live in an apartment and when i'm gigging i dont play with a drummer so i dont really need a big wattage amp...

I'd prefer an amp that doesnt require boost pedals to get a high gain metal-like sound but i'm open to discusion...

Anw, sorry about the wall of text and my bad english ( i speak greek ) and thanks for the help...
I am a signature.
First, your English is quite good so don't apologize.

Second, I hope all is well with you and your country especially considering what has been going on in that area of the world.

Third, the Orange Thunder 30H would be great for your needs. 30 watts, all tube, great High gain sound, right in your price range and I found it on Thomann.de
hahaha although the country struggles with its financial debts at the moment, the media are projecting a very small portion of what is like to live here in an act to follow a political agenda of some sort ( mostly the violent portion because let's face it, thats what sells ), so dont believe everything you see on tv

Back to the subject, im just trying to find out if there are other amps like the Orange TH30 in this price range... Do you know anything about the Orange Dual Terror? I watched some demos in youtube and i quite liked the amp but i have no idea how it handles clean and low gain sounds...
I am a signature.
the blackstar amps are also a great consideration. i havent listend to the ht-20 but ive listened to the 100watt heads and they have mindblowing gain. if u were to hold on for a little bit and save up ur money, you could look into the kerry king jcm800. very high gain and has a built in noise gate which is a nice function
You shouldn't discount higher wattage amps. With the kind of metal it sounds like you want to play, you don't really want any power tube break up so you have no need to turn the volume up. And if you do ever end up playing with a drummer you might want that extra head room.

Check out that ENGL Thunder mentioned above. It'd be a great fit.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
actually they're both 30watt so i think im ok about the headroom my considerations are about the cleanliness of the channels because the Dual Terror is kind of Crunch/More Crunch amp...

The ENGL although interesting is 50 watt and its a bit too much for me... I know that the volume between 30 w and 50 w amps isnt much different but some amps ( like the orange ) can be switched to 15 or 7 watt which is more preferable for home practise... thanks anw...

Im strongly considering the Blackstar HT-20 ( nice clean and crunch tone ) but does the amps gain match the gain i need for kind of scooped metal tones? cause thats the thing, i'd prefer amps that can do metal without me buying a booster pedal...

Other options such as the orange?

EDIT: @Major Sparky, the thing is that im planning on having this amp for a long time ( its kind of difficult selling and buying amps from where im from ) so i'd like an amp that can do a bit of everything because i may not be playing metal in a few years, who knows... and i'm not really just a metal guitarist, i like to play some mid-gain or low gain lead stuff as well... i just want the high-gain amp because that roar coming of a tube amp when its distorted puts a smile on my face
I am a signature.
Last edited by Siandos.BCRich at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by Siandos.BCRich
The ENGL although interesting is 50 watt and its a bit too much for me... I know that the volume between 30 w and 50 w amps isnt much different but some amps ( like the orange ) can be switched to 15 or 7 watt which is more preferable for home practise... thanks anw...

Im strongly considering the Blackstar HT-20 ( nice clean and crunch tone ) but does the amps gain match the gain i need for kind of scooped metal tones? cause thats the thing, i'd prefer amps that can do metal without me buying a booster pedal...

You know... there is a reason for the volume knob. The ENGL will still sound sweet with the volume turned low.

If you can get it, try a Krank Rev Jr Pro, it can do the br00talz without ANY pedals, and then some more. Tho I don't recall seeing it on Thomann.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
yeah thomann doesnt sell the Rev Jr Pro... i'll check out the ENGL! thanks!

anyone with information about the Orange heads or the Blackstar ht-20?
I am a signature.
Last edited by Siandos.BCRich at Jun 3, 2011,
I've tried out the ENGL and I can say it'll do a very nice tone at lower volumes. It'll do tight rhythms for sure and will not need an OD to do so. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "mellow lead" tone but, to me, ENGLs have always had a very nice rounded and smooth lead tone without loosing note definition and the Thunder has that same feel and sound to it.

Rev Jr. Pro is a killer amp (I own one) but, IMO to get the best tone out of it it needs a boost and ideally a tube swap. So that might end up being a bit more than your wanting to invest.
ok i'll give it a try, thanks... my only consideration is that i cant find an decent review of the engl thunder on youtube ( from Pro Guitar Shop, or Guitar World or whatever ) and i cant try it before i buy it...

any information about the heads i stated above will be appreciated...
I am a signature.
Quote by Shabadoo
I've tried out the ENGL and I can say it'll do a very nice tone at lower volumes. It'll do tight rhythms for sure and will not need an OD to do so. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "mellow lead" tone but, to me, ENGLs have always had a very nice rounded and smooth lead tone without loosing note definition and the Thunder has that same feel and sound to it.

Rev Jr. Pro is a killer amp (I own one) but, IMO to get the best tone out of it it needs a boost and ideally a tube swap. So that might end up being a bit more than your wanting to invest.

What did you use to boost it and what tubes did you swap in?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
That Orange TH30 is simply phenomenal imo. I recently caught a live 3 piece band and the guitarist / singer had one.. Granted he was an insanely good guitarist.. the range of tones from that amp was unreal. I was extremely impressed and looking to pick one up asap..

Btw, it was a small / medium sized club and he ran 7 watts without mic'ing and cleans sounded great... very impressed with this newer model.
As much as the Thunder is a good little amp, its not what you want.

For tight, gainy metal you want an amp with as much headroom as possible, the reason the "metal" amps have so much headroom is so you can get a consistent tone throughout your volume range without introducing power tube distortion.

Go for something like the ENGL Screamer if you can find one, it will do what your after and pretty much everything else.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Go for something like the ENGL Screamer if you can find one, it will do what your after and pretty much everything else.

Out of his budget range on his requested online shop.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Shame,

This is why people should go second hand

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Shame,

This is why people should go second hand

I don't think that he doesn't want to, but rather that he can't find any 2nd hand products.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
What did you use to boost it and what tubes did you swap in?

I use a Maxon OD808 as a boost. For tubes I loaded the pre amp with JJ 12ax7s and Tung-Sol 5881s in the power section.
hey guys, reviving the thread... i just have one more question... i have found a Blackstar HT Stage 100 head for 799 which i wont mind spendind if its a nice amp... my question however is : does the HT100 have more gain that the HT20?
I am a signature.
ok man thanks...

anyone else who is willing to share some insight on the amps is very welcome to do so
I am a signature.
The Peavy 6505 112 combo is the best cheap/mid range amp I've played in years in regards to distortion. Most other combo amps I've played I nearly always have to use a tubescreamer to get that extra 4x12 cab low end kick out of them, the 6505 really doesnt need it.

The clean channel is ok, not the best but I've heard a lot worse, even on more expensive amps.

Only real down side to the 6505 is the speaker, while not terrible you would get a better tone out of it if you were to swap it out later on.
Quote by Siandos.BCRich
hey guys, reviving the thread... i just have one more question... i have found a Blackstar HT Stage 100 head for 799 which i wont mind spendind if its a nice amp... my question however is : does the HT100 have more gain that the HT20?

Blackstar HT100's Roar.

Enough gain than needed and thick solid tone.

I tested my Blackstar HT1 head (1 watt version of that series) against a 6505 and IMO. the blackstar stood up to it very well.

(I was using an OD just too boost the gain a little but the 20 upwards have much more gain)

I could get a tighter tone from the line out my blackstar compared to the line out of the 6505 (using the same impulses) also

IMO. they are seriously great amps and well worth the money.
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Jun 6, 2011,
For what it's worth I second the TH30 suggestion. Also, greetings to Greece! My dad's family lives in Athens and I hope to make it back for a visit either this year or next.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail