Hey guys,

So I've narrowed down my choice and I'll do a bit of explaining first.

I've chosen Ibanez because:
- The RG guitars look cool
- The RGs I'm looking at are in my price range
- I like the Wizard necks and the comfy All Access Neck Joint
- I have a cheap RG and I like the feel of it. The INF pickups are good for stock pickups IMO

Other stuff to mention
- The amp I will be using this guitar with is my Roland Cube 15X [at home], a Roland Micro Cube [at school] and a Marshall MG10CD [also my school's]
- Other electric guitars I own - Ibanez RG120 and a Stagg L350

- I play metal [Trivium and Megadeth etc]
- Budget - £320 MAXIMUM
- Will be buying off the internet. There are no decent music stores near where I live

Anyway, here are the candidates.

1. Ibanez RGR321EX
- Basswood body
- Wizard III neck
- INF1 and INF2 humbuckers
- Reverse headstock. I've started to take a liking to those
- Black with white binding. Looks awesome
- Rosewood fretboard
- Gibralter standard bridge

2. Ibanez RGA32
- Mahogany body
- Loz N and LoZ B active pickups
- Rosewood board
- Wizard III neck
- Gibralter standard bridge

Which one?

Also, can someone give me a long, detailed camparison between mahogany and basswood?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Personal preference. No matter how many threads you make, we cannot choose a guitar for you. You are the one who's going to play it, not us.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
Personal preference. No matter how many threads you make, we cannot choose a guitar for you. You are the one who's going to play it, not us.

OK fair enough.
Comparisons between mahogany and basswood?

Also, what's this I hear about active pickups damaging solid state amps?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

i honestly don't kno much about either of these guitars but i think the latter might be ur best option out of them. the mahogony body is going to give u a better tone than the basswood for what ur looking for. basswood is a really light wood. i currently have a mahogany bodied schecter with rosewood fretboard and recently owned a basswood bodied guitar. though the basswood is easier on the shoulder's for a longer sho, mahogany just gives a deeper sound than basswood. to me, a basswood body sounds kind of thin compared to mahogany. just my opinion though. basswood is nice but not the best option for this style of music.

2nd good part of this guitar is the active pickups. i have no idea how good the ibanez stock pups are for this but active is the way to go if you want to be playing heavier stuff like this. i have an emg 81tw/89 combo in my schecter and they scream. they allow you to get some real nice heavy riffing as well as screaming solos. the neck pup is super hot and cuts thru amazingly during solos
Quote by Woffelz
OK fair enough.

Also, what's this I hear about active pickups damaging solid state amps?

i didnt have an issue running mine thru a solid state before i went tube. MAYBE they might be too hot for it? they pickup alot of sounds that a passive may not necessarily get or maybe just not as hot? ive never heard about them having issues though
Pickups can't damage a guitar amplifier; sounds like BS to me.

In all honesty TS it's worth going to a store and actually playing some guitars, everyone has their own preference as to what is a good guitar to them, it's likely their opinion will differ to yours.

There are a few things to consider:

1)How long have you been playing? (this determines whether it's worth spending more or less on an instrument)

2)You want a guitar that is going to last you, you may like Trivium etc at the moment but your musical taste's and playing will evolve (trust me it will). You want a guitar to accommodate this.

3)Have you looked at 2nd hand ? Usually you can find really good instruments people don't play anymore and they just have a few dings etc in them, you end up getting a better guitar than you thought you could afford.

The budget isn't bad for a beginner but if i was at an intermediate level I would probably shoot for a better guitar. It may seem like a lot of money initially but a better made instrument will last you MUCH longer and hold it's value.

I bought a Jackson about 3 years ago for £450 and it was a pretty good guitar but I found the Ibanez in my sig on eBay for £600 (2nd hand and a bargain at that) and had earned the money from working a crappy job to buy it. But I ended up selling the Jackson because it was sub-par
Quote by Zanon
Pickups can't damage a guitar amplifier; sounds like BS to me.

In all honesty TS it's worth going to a store and actually playing some guitars, everyone has their own preference as to what is a good guitar to them, it's likely their opinion will differ to yours.

There are a few things to consider:

1)How long have you been playing? (this determines whether it's worth spending more or less on an instrument)

2)You want a guitar that is going to last you, you may like Trivium etc at the moment but your musical taste's and playing will evolve (trust me it will). You want a guitar to accommodate this.

3)Have you looked at 2nd hand ? Usually you can find really good instruments people don't play anymore and they just have a few dings etc in them, you end up getting a better guitar than you thought you could afford.

The budget isn't bad for a beginner but if i was at an intermediate level I would probably shoot for a better guitar. It may seem like a lot of money initially but a better made instrument will last you MUCH longer and hold it's value.

I bought a Jackson about 3 years ago for £450 and it was a pretty good guitar but I found the Ibanez in my sig on eBay for £600 (2nd hand and a bargain at that) and had earned the money from working a crappy job to buy it. But I ended up selling the Jackson because it was sub-par

- Been playing for over 4 years
- I've liked Trivium for 3.5. I just want something that can do metalcore well.
- There aren't many people that play musical instruments in my area, so 2nd hand will be a problem.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Quote by JustRooster
Save your money. Buy and amp that doesn't suck.

I like my Cube 15X.
My school should replace the old MG10CD though.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Um yes whether if you think that a cube 15 and microcube are going to sound well with a decent guitar your looking to buy...then i honestly think your wrong. I also see your using a grunge distortion with a solidstate amp thats made for distortion? but anyway, i like the guys idea of buying a decent amp FIRST then get your decent guitar and you will be more than happy because your guitar will sound more alive.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by Woffelz

There is quite a misconception that Basswood is a bad type of wood to build a guitar out of, or that Basswood guitars are in some way inferior to other types of wood, which is entirely untrue. I believe it stems back to the statement that basswood is a bad "tone wood," which basically means that when you play a basswood guitar you're hearing the pickups, strings, amp, etc. just not the wood. It's different than mahogany, which can distinctly color a guitar's sound. You see a number of professional level guitarists use basswood signature guitars for various reasons, one of which is to be able to hear the other components of their "rigs" better.

So, while you can say bad guitars are made of basswood do exist, basswood guitars are not inherently bad.

(Agathis, on the other hand, is just poor man's Alder.)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Um yes whether if you think that a cube 15 and microcube are going to sound well with a decent guitar your looking to buy...then i honestly think your wrong. I also see your using a grunge distortion with a solidstate amp thats made for distortion? but anyway, i like the guys idea of buying a decent amp FIRST then get your decent guitar and you will be more than happy because your guitar will sound more alive.

I only use the cr*ppy Grunge pedal with my Stagg, because the pickups on that don't push hard enough.

I'm OK with my tone, it just needs a bit of improvement at least for my bedroom standards. I guess I'm GASing a bit? I have money to spare anyway
I'm also unhappy with the cr*p tremolo on my RG120 and the wood.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

i realize how much you hate it wen ppl tell u to get a new amp but it is tru.... whehter ur playing a $1000 guitar or a $100 guitar, a shitty amp won't help the situation. not to say that the roland is a BAD amp, its just not the greatest. i think you would be happier in the long run if u were to spend most of the money on a nice tube amp and then drop a decent set of pups into ur current guitars. you would probably be much happier with that in the long run.

but to help you out with ur original question in the difference of the two, i would say play them both because some people are VERY picky wen it comes to active/passive pups. i personally prefer actives for metalcore but some ppl just don't like the way they sound. so you should play them both to find out if ur an active or passive kind of guy