Page 1 of 2
Anyone wants to help me ?

I already got experience, I just want to gain that small "extra" to give my recordings a more pro sound

Thanks in advance
I'm not sure what you mean by, "mentor".
Are you looking for someone to meet you and teach you?
Or,
Are you looking for recording tips online?
What you want to do is a bit unclear to me.

If you are looking for recording tips, there's about a thousand guides on recording. You could also look through old threads in R&R. I've been here quite some time and I've learnt a lot just from reading threads.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I'm not sure what you mean by, "mentor".
Are you looking for someone to meet you and teach you?
Or,
Are you looking for recording tips online?
What you want to do is a bit unclear to me.

If you are looking for recording tips, there's about a thousand guides on recording. You could also look through old threads in R&R. I've been here quite some time and I've learnt a lot just from reading threads.

Thanks a lot ! I've read a ton of helpful guides.
However an online mentor whom you can discuss stuff with is quite much more helpful
Quote by Sympho
Thanks a lot ! I've read a ton of helpful guides.
However an online mentor whom you can discuss stuff with is quite much more helpful

Isn't that what the 'new thread' button is for?
Quote by Afroboy267

If you intended to say something, I didn't get it.
I'm on here a lot lurking at the moment with few threads inspiring me to post in (constant repeat questions about the same cheap interface/monitor/mic recommendations, urghh), and as I have acute tonsillitis at the moment I can't even leave my flat pretty much to do anything fun, so will likely be on here just as much for the next few days...

I'm happy to help, and I'm sure some other people would be happy to help.

I recommend:
axemanchris for general knowledge of recording/mixing/gear
Odirunn for metal and those 'core' genres/recording direct
Technicolour.Type for soundscapey stuff
jof29 for same as Chris I guess
ethan_hanus, sandyman323 and Firehawk seem knowledgable too...
oh, and that lockwolf guy 'cos he told me to include him, at gunpoint he seems to know his stuff!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I recommend:
axemanchris for general knowledge of recording/mixing/gear
Odirunn for metal and those 'core' genres/recording direct
Technicolour.Type for soundscapey stuff
jof29 for same as Chris I guess
ethan_hanus and Firehawk seem knowledgable too.
Lockwolf for bluntly telling you when what you're doing is wrong

Fix'd :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Fix'd :p

You know if I wasn't dosed up on medication I'd have included you anyway
I just forgot your name in my current state

And I fixed my original post, happy now?
Quote by Afroboy267

The problem is that there are so many idiots who hang around here and try to sound intelligent but end up giving stupid advice like "buy an SM57, they are great for recording vocals/acoustic guitar/everything else in the world" or "Just plug a mixing desk into your computer's line in, that's how the pro's do it!" or "Take the grille off, they are the same mic!" that if you don't know who to listen to you end up getting massively confused.

I've pretty much given up on answering the 'What Interface' and 'I plugged my guitar into my computer's line in, why does it sound sh!t' threads. That's why I don't post much on here any more... Nothing ever really interests me.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
The problem is that there are so many idiots who hang around here and try to sound intelligent but end up giving stupid advice like "buy an SM57, they are great for recording vocals/acoustic guitar/everything else in the world" or "Just plug a mixing desk into your computer's line in, that's how the pro's do it!" or "Take the grille off, they are the same mic!" that if you don't know who to listen to you end up getting massively confused.

I've pretty much given up on answering the 'What Interface' and 'I plugged my guitar into my computer's line in, why does it sound sh!t' threads. That's why I don't post much on here any more... Nothing ever really interests me.

I've not seen you here before, but I like you (Even though the 57 = 58 with no headshield thing is actually true )
Quote by DisarmGoliath
You know if I wasn't dosed up on medication I'd have included you anyway
I just forgot your name in my current state

And I fixed my original post, happy now?

Heh, I was only messing but nice edit :p

I've pretty much given up on answering the...'I plugged my guitar into my computer's line in, why does it sound sh!t' threads.

That's my job. I'm good at bluntly telling people that they're doing it wrong
Quote by lockwolf
That's my job. I'm good at bluntly telling people that they're doing it wrong

I've still never forgotten the time that guy was bragging about his 'amazing' quality from a 'really cheap' Linux-based setup, and your response almost word-for-word was "Yeah, but it sounds like two monkeys rubbing dongs together"
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've not seen you here before, but I like you (Even though the 57 = 58 with no headshield thing is actually true )

I know they use the same capsule...
BUT I'LL NEVER ADMIT IT!!! :P

You probably haven't seen me around here because every time I decide to start checking these forums again I get disheartened after a while and leave again.
That and most of the advice I'm qualified to give is in gear/equipment and the physical recording of instruments with microphones, whereas a lot of people here seem to be more into amp simulation, which isn't my forte really.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
The good news is I won't be asking what mic to use and stuff. I already know a lot of recording techniques, but still feel like I'm relatively weak and I'm searching for direct , I wouldn't say exactly help, but mere discussions about what's wrong in the mix etc..
Quote by Sympho
The good news is I won't be asking what mic to use and stuff. I already know a lot of recording techniques, but still feel like I'm relatively weak and I'm searching for direct , I wouldn't say exactly help, but mere discussions about what's wrong in the mix etc..

Well, I'm more than happy to do that - I quite enjoy critiquing mixes and helping analyse elements that could be improved by changing ____

Quote by Sonny_sam
I know they use the same capsule...
BUT I'LL NEVER ADMIT IT!!! :P

You probably haven't seen me around here because every time I decide to start checking these forums again I get disheartened after a while and leave again.
That and most of the advice I'm qualified to give is in gear/equipment and the physical recording of instruments with microphones, whereas a lot of people here seem to be more into amp simulation, which isn't my forte really.

What part of 'near Coventry' are you from? I'm from Birmingham (ish) so I'm surprised there seems to be someone else with sense on here from so close... *redneck voice* Yoo oonnn maaa turrfff, boooyyy! My band have played in Cov a few times, can see why you'd distance yourself from the place (not that Birmingham is anything to brag about, especially where I live at the moment), do you record bands in Cov, and if so what is the scene like there (i.e much business/competition?).
Quote by Sympho

Well, give us a song you're working on. Most of us can give you a good idea of what your mix is missing.

I've still never forgotten the time that guy was bragging about his 'amazing' quality from a 'really cheap' Linux-based setup, and your response almost word-for-word was "Yeah, but it sounds like two monkeys rubbing dongs together"

I remember that. Yeah, that recording was pretty bad. I've heard better direct in to mic port recordings done by 4 year olds than that
Quote by lockwolf
I remember that. Yeah, that recording was pretty bad. I've heard better direct in to mic port recordings done by 4 year olds than that

On the plus side of that sad thread, finding my old recordings to prove my claim to him reminded me how even with no knowledge even of stereo panning and no real equipment but a cheap pc gaming mic, I still must have had the positioning is key attitude developing. In fact, I worry I was better at positioning a mic then than I am at present! Something I need to remember to pay a little more attention again when I'm tracking, rather than settling for what looks and sounds familiar.
If you need any critiqing, PM me and I will try to be detailed and thorough in my response. I've done it for a few others before. Also, if you need any help with using your DAW or need help with misc. stuff such as side-chaining, sampling, or sound modulating, let me know.
Thanks for the inclusion Disarm

Yeah I would be happy to give opinions to anyone who needs one. Programming stuff such as midi, synths, electric drums, etc. are prob where I am the most useful though.
So like I made a sample of my recordings, posted 3 different styles of recording, tried to generalize since I have a lot.

I ll upload the mp3 file instead of sending pms, and you guys could tell me what's wrong ?
You can post your songs in the Tone Testing Thread, and hope that one of the regulars shows up to crit it. I usually try to keep up with it the best I can.

I'd read the first few posts in the Tone Testing Thread, there's alot of useful mixing and recording information in that thread that might help you out.

EDIT: ^ The bass guitar is a little bit boomy on the low notes on the first one, might try running a slight high pass around 10 to 20 hz to calm it down a bit.

Second one, I would try to high pass the guitars a bit more, and cut some frequencies around the 300-800hz range and boost the treble.

Same with the third one.

Fourth one has the same problem as the first one.

Other than that, sounds pretty damn good, don't know what your complaining about.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
You can post your songs in the Tone Testing Thread, and hope that one of the regulars shows up to crit it. I usually try to keep up with it the best I can.

I'd read the first few posts in the Tone Testing Thread, there's alot of useful mixing and recording information in that thread that might help you out.

EDIT: ^ The bass guitar is a little bit boomy on the low notes on the first one, might try running a slight high pass around 10 to 20 hz to calm it down a bit.

Second one, I would try to high pass the guitars a bit more, and cut some frequencies around the 300-800hz range and boost the treble.

Same with the third one.

Fourth one has the same problem as the first one.

Other than that, sounds pretty damn good, don't know what your complaining about.

haha thanks, well those little imperfections, I want to solve them, that's why I asked for help
Quote by Sympho
^ out of topic, but I m digging your band

If you mean mine...try to ignore the poor sound quality on all of them except for "Love Was Never Enough" I have improved my mixing so much in the last few months from UG, a lot of research, and trail and error lol....

Anyway...ethan_hanus covered the guitars+bass pretty well...

I think you should take a look at this for your drums, especially toms (which I personally always have the hardest time EQing). I would look around that whole site as it helped me a ton in general on mixing and such.

Edit: You can apply the above guide to simulated drums like Battery 3, SD, AD, whatever other "drum machines" out there.

Also watch your volume meters cause it appeared you clipped (approach the 0dB mark).
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by FireHawk
If you mean mine...try to ignore the poor sound quality on all of them except for "Love Was Never Enough" I have improved my mixing so much in the last few months from UG, a lot of research, and trail and error lol....

Anyway...ethan_hanus covered the guitars+bass pretty well...

I think you should take a look at this for your drums, especially toms (which I personally always have the hardest time EQing). I would look around that whole site as it helped me a ton in general on mixing and such.

Edit: You can apply the above guide to simulated drums like Battery 3, SD, AD, whatever other "drum machines" out there.

Also watch your volume meters cause it appeared you clipped (approach the 0dB mark).

Yes that's exactly what I wanted to know about. The clipping, you solve this by lowering the volume ?

I sampled my drums btw.
The symphonizer
Quote by Sympho
Yes that's exactly what I wanted to know about. The clipping, you solve this by lowering the volume ?

I sampled my drums btw.

Yes. Look at your meters first and see what is clipping on the individual tracks. Then if nothing is slowly bring everything down (or the master) until it is at least under -1db, some go to -3dB.

Also I sample my drums as well, but I EQ the crap out of them.
What I actually do is boost the kick on 60 hz, then add reverb on snares and toms, and maybe compress the snare to give it another sound. I higher the volume of the crashes, and that's it. I don't know what should be done more
The symphonizer
Quote by FireHawk

Following the link in that post helped me a ton with my drums. Also follow the links within that link to get more in depth on each part of the kit. (Mine are sampled as well).
Quote by DisarmGoliath
What part of 'near Coventry' are you from? I'm from Birmingham (ish) so I'm surprised there seems to be someone else with sense on here from so close... *redneck voice* Yoo oonnn maaa turrfff, boooyyy! My band have played in Cov a few times, can see why you'd distance yourself from the place (not that Birmingham is anything to brag about, especially where I live at the moment), do you record bands in Cov, and if so what is the scene like there (i.e much business/competition?).

When I wrote that I was living in Nuneaton, but a couple of years ago I moved to Cov and am now living here & studying guitar at a local music college.
I don't advertise recording services because with college & my part time job (washing dishes, living the dream!) I don't get an awful lot of time, but I have recorded a few bands & solo artists around here. There isn't a very big music scene as there are only really a handful of dedicated venues for live music (Kasbah, Taylor John's House, Golden Cross). Many of the locals musicians are students from Coventry University as well, so they have access to decent recording facilities there. The only independent studio that I know of in Coventry is Moonbase - http://www.themoonbase.co.uk/ and they seem to be doing ok, but they have been established for a while so they have some form of reputation and networking.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by FireHawk
Since when have we had a tone testing thread and why one in GGA and not one in recording? O.o

Since as long as I've been here. It's in the GGA because it involves mainly tweaking your gear and such, or something like that, idk.

Oh, just a fyi, most people like to push their track volume near 0 decibels, but I've found that if you push the drums near the 0 decibel mark, your guitars are around -6 or close to 0 decibels depending on how middy and punchy your guitars are, keeping your bass guitars around -12 or -15 decibels, I find that tends to keep your master track volume around 0 decibels without the need for compression.

I absolutely hate compression. Read up on the sound wars, and you'll know why. But, it is useful for those times you were stupid and recorded your leads too low, or if you can't get your leads to punch through no matter what, then it's ok to use compression on your leads, but never compress your drums, or your guitars, it kills all the natural harmonics and the punch of your track.

I know the thing nowadays is compression and loud as crap, but me personally, I find that having that punch there, and forcing the listener to turn up their monitors, makes it sound just so much more natural.

Oh, one last thing, if you have the determination, you can make crappy gear sound great, and very bad recording methods work perfect, cause I've been doing it all my life. If I told you my set up you would laugh at me, but would never believe thats what my tone is made of.
Quote by ethan_hanus

I absolutely hate compression. Read up on the sound wars, and you'll know why. But, it is useful for those times you were stupid and recorded your leads too low, or if you can't get your leads to punch through no matter what, then it's ok to use compression on your leads, but never compress your drums, or your guitars, it kills all the natural harmonics and the punch of your track.

I disagree with that I always compress my drum track. Not overly but the sound just sound more "right" to me I guess. With that said drums are very very easy to over-compress and sound like shit. I also somewhat compress rhythm usually (not much). I usually over compress bass when ever I distort it (about always). I don't ever really compress the master anymore (I use to until a few months ago).

To each their own I guess.
Last edited by FireHawk at Jun 4, 2011,
Quote by ethan_hanus
Since as long as I've been here. It's in the GGA because it involves mainly tweaking your gear and such, or something like that, idk.

Oh, just a fyi, most people like to push their track volume near 0 decibels, but I've found that if you push the drums near the 0 decibel mark, your guitars are around -6 or close to 0 decibels depending on how middy and punchy your guitars are, keeping your bass guitars around -12 or -15 decibels, I find that tends to keep your master track volume around 0 decibels without the need for compression.

I know the thing nowadays is compression and loud as crap, but me personally, I find that having that punch there, and forcing the listener to turn up their monitors, makes it sound just so much more natural.

Oh, one last thing, if you have the determination, you can make crappy gear sound great, and very bad recording methods work perfect, cause I've been doing it all my life. If I told you my set up you would laugh at me, but would never believe thats what my tone is made of.

It can't be worse than mine

Willing to bet ? :P
The symphonizer
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yup, mine cost me $3. Can you beat that?

haha , I think you beat me, but not by much though :P
The symphonizer
Quote by DisarmGoliath

I remember that one too. Laughed my ass off.
Sometimes(Always) people need to hear it blunt. Just punch them right in the face with text.
..I was watching my death.
I'm late to the party, the MP3 is gone

never compress your drums, or your guitars, it kills all the natural harmonics and the punch of your track.

Yes and No. Yes since most people overcompress but no because when done right, it doesn't completely kill the natural harmonics. I do a lot of parallel compressing, especially on drums. When done right, it makes everything sound full while still keeping a good balance of natural harmonics.
And what are the main mainstream rules for compression?
The symphonizer
Page 1 of 2