like gardening, raising farm animals for food, live on a farm, etc?

if so what do you guys grow/produce?

im just getting my garden together now (had alot of stuff come up so i had to do the work alittle at a time) and im getting ready to plant the last of my seeds and plants.

i have squash, cucumbers, carrots, corn, beefsteak tomatoes, husk/cherry tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and sweet peppers im growing.

i also just picked up some watermelon seeds yesterday i found for a dollar at the local hardware store, so i may plant them too, even though ive never grown watermelons before.

so how about you guys? do you guys grow and raise food?
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
over there?
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
If by grow you mean "get money to buy at the supermarket", then yes. Yes I do.

I tried a broad bean plant once for giggles. Died within the first week. That happens with a lot of things I touch.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
i think my brother is growing weed in the back garden to make brownies

he thinks we don't know, but we totally know
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by RDSElite
THEIR.

Learn to spell.

if your referring to the way i type bite my shiny anteater ass.

Quote by metallica #1
Yes, I grow red peppers, tomatoes, and asparagus.

i always wanted to try growing asparagus. i dont know where to start though when it comes to growing that.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at Jun 3, 2011,
I do.

We have chickens, mostly hens, that give us eggs, and grow pumpkins, butternut squash, peas (snap and pod), green beans, corn, radishes, beats, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, lettuce, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, and sometimes spinach and watermelon.

It is great to have land.
Quote by RDSElite
THEIR.

Learn to spell.

A quick look in your posts revealed:

A lot of songs don't have (guitar) solo's and still sound phenomenal. Why always the <insert obscure metal band here> mentioning?

source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27309562#post27309562

I believe you misused the apostrophe in your "solo's". Why don't you learn to use grammar first?
Tomatoes, basil, agave.

I really want to grow a Jalapeno plant since I love them. :3
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Yea, normal garden stuff (tomatoes, green beans, corn, carrots, etc.) It's good for winter because we don't have to buy as much shit.
Nikolas
My dad grows herbs and stuff along with a bunch of fruit which tastes incredibly epic.

But I don't think I could ever bring myself to kill an animal I raised. If I did I imagine it'd go something like Homer eating his lobster.
Last edited by super_strat at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by Nelsean
Tomatoes, basil, agave.

I really want to grow a Jalapeno plant since I love them. :3

ive never tried agave before. sounds interesting though and looks good.

jalapenos are awesome they grow almost like a tomatoe plant, but slower. (up to 2 weeks for tomato seeds to become seedlings, while my jalapenos took about 3-4 weeks before sprouting.)

its my first time growing them, they seem easy enough, wont know though until there ready to start producing peppers.

you should try growing them. i dont know where your located but they require the same kind of care as tomatoes, only slower growth and they like acidic soil (though i used the same soil for my tomatoes and jalapenos with no real affect on the jalapenos)

Quote by super_strat

But I don't think I could ever bring myself to kill an animal I raised. If I did I imagine it'd go something like Homer eating his lobster.

i feel the same way. i mean if i had to i probably would kill one but it would have to be a do or die situation. i have a hard enough time feeding mice to my snakes without feeling bad. and there pre killed and frozen.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Last edited by k-train at Jun 3, 2011,
Homegrown watermelons are the most delicious things ever. My grandfather used to have a patch every year. This year, I'm growing some strawberries. But that's about it.

Quote by laid-to-waste

I believe you misused the apostrophe in your "solo's". Why don't you learn to use grammar first?

oh SNAP!!!! OWN3D!!
יהוה

[][]
/ \

Quote by sinisa

How about actually doing something rather than asking everyone here questions?
My parents have a massive garden and grow pretty much every vegetable you can think of. I don't grow my own food, but I definitely benefit from their garden!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
i recently found some wild onions whilst strolling in the woods. i transplanted them to my yard and they are indeed flourishing.

i also planted some old potatoes that i found in the closet and they have just started sprouting. my plan for Backyard Soup is coming together nicely lol
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by kadinh
oh SNAP!!!! OWN3D!!

I think I probably should've added this to my post:

I have berries in my back yard. I grow black and red current, gooseberries, raspberries, and strawberries
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
I grow tomatoes, green onions, radishes, and peppers. I even sometimes grow watermelons and cantelopes. They almost always turn out good.
does anybody here ever experiment with mulch/compost?
is there a difference?

i have been thinking about starting a compost heap but it seems like a lot of work....

compost heaps actually arent that hard to keep up.

yeah it sounds pretty simple but i wouldn't want like a huge stinking pile of garbage in my yard if i mess it up. i read that you have to monitor temperature and nitrogen to carbon ratio. i really don't know though. i would rather take advice from someone with experience than something i read in a book.

are the worms really necessary?
what about compost tea? any experience there?

manure huh? would dog s**t work too? or is that pushing it?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Last edited by Harvey Swick at Jun 3, 2011,
I grow my own food, but production is slow. Takes a whole nine months for one meal. . .
Quote by Harvey Swick
does anybody here ever experiment with mulch/compost?
is there a difference?

i have been thinking about starting a compost heap but it seems like a lot of work....

i have before. there is some difference depending on what you use.

compost heaps actually arent that hard to keep up. if you have a yard with leaves, grass clippings, etc you can start a compost box. just buy or make (easier to make) a box, size is up to you, and fill it with banana peels, old fruit and veggies and just stuff that breaks down quickly, add earthworms (for the amount go by the size of your compost box. i did 1,000 worms per 3 square foot) and wait a few weeks to get worm castings and all that. the worms do all the work you just throw them food and keep the box damp and dark.

manure works great too, but it can be pricy unless you have a source of it like a horse or cow farm that will give you it for free.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
I have an herb garden going now; basil, chives, rosemary, and mint. I really wish cilantro would grow in this climate, though. I buy it so often, that it would really be perfect for me to grow. The girlfriend is growing jalapenos, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and onions.

Also OP, your != you're
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
My dad has kept an allotment for many years now. 90% of the veg we eat comes from there.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by Harvey Swick

yeah it sounds pretty simple but i wouldn't want like a huge stinking pile of garbage in my yard if i mess it up. i read that you have to monitor temperature and nitrogen to carbon ratio. i really don't know though. i would rather take advice from someone with experience than something i read in a book.

are the worms really necessary?
what about compost tea? any experience there?

manure huh? would dog s**t work too? or is that pushing it?

i dont know how much property you have, but i have half an acre and i never noticed a smell or anything. and ive never looked at nitrogen and carbon ratio. never heard of it before to be honest

the worms are actually not necessary, but it speeds up the process alot faster then just letting it decompose by itself. the worms eat the compost then shit out soil basically.

and ive never tried compost tea but ive heard its not as affective. dont quote me on it though since ive never tried it.

and dog shit wont work. theres pathogens in some animal waste that makes it less affective from what ive seen. (i have a dog, geckos, snakes, small mammals, and fish) and there not that good on edible plants due to the pathogens that can be transfered. your better off with horse or cow waste. if your growing corn though ive heard of people burying a whole fish under the plants to give them nutrients, it should work with most crops. but if your worried about smell (as your implying with the compost) then im not sure thats a route youd like to go.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Quote by laid-to-waste
A quick look in your posts revealed:

source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27309562#post27309562

You're absolutely right. Very good, but as English is not my first language, I believe I have a valid excuse. Now I dare you to find another.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.