You may wonder why i bought a strat if i want less twang off it but basically its a 1960s roadworn strat and im very happy with the sound of it apart from when i use distortion it seems to be hard to find a sharp distorted tone without alot of twang.

i was just wondering to help this is there a certain set up i should have or is it a case of changing pick ups, the likes of simon neil from biffy clyro and even john frusciante at times for example seem to be very capable of getting good distorted tones out of their strats and i was just wondering does anyone have advice on how this would be possible?.

Thanks
Have you tried turning the "tone" knobs down?
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Yes guitar amp and pedals but it only really results in a muffled sounding twang
I have an American Vintage '62, and I have no issues with the twang. On the bridge, middle, or the in-between pickup selections, there's not much twang to begin with and any twang can easily be dialed down with the tone knob, like Haanz said. But if you're talking about the twang you get when you're using only the bridge pickup, then you might be out of luck. Not sure about your road-worn '60s, but my '62's bridge pickup isn't wired to a tone knob so you can't roll off the twang. I like the twang, to be honest. Great for funky riffs. You could try rolling down your guitar volume to give it a bit less bite, maybe?
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
rewire one of the tone knobs to your bridge pickup?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(This isn't an ad or anything) but you should check out http://www.uberproaudio.com/ , they've got the specs for the rigs of a lot of musicians and I'm sure at least john frusciante's in there. Personally I think its a case of getting the right pups and having a decent amp. If you start screwing around with distortion pedals in conjuction with amps you're right, its just going to make you sound aweful.
I will say use a fuzz insterad of drive. I will sound more fatter and less twangier. Also changing the bridge pickup with a hot single coil or maybe even a humbucker could be a great option. Strings can also play a role in your sound.
Thanks for the help my strings are newly on so that's probably playing up a bit as even unplugged the guitars sounding very fat, so are the tone knobs not wired to the bridge pickup? I'm used to Gibson style guitars alot more than fender

also what are good bridge pickups for distortion but also keep a good clean sound too?

Thanks again
Quote by thedot
Thanks for the help my strings are newly on so that's probably playing up a bit as even unplugged the guitars sounding very fat, so are the tone knobs not wired to the bridge pickup? I'm used to Gibson style guitars alot more than fender

also what are good bridge pickups for distortion but also keep a good clean sound too?

Thanks again

no tone control for the bridge pup. as always i'll plug Lace Sensor pickups (they should be paying me considering how often i plug them) . these are noise free retain the basic strat sound and give you more options. i have the blue pickup(they are color coded) in my bridge and it is great for distortion while still retaining a very nice clean tone. you can hear my strat in action through a variety of clean to distorted sound in my song The Land Unknown found in my profile.
yeah if it's wired the vintage fender way, the first tone knob is only wired to the middle pickup and the second tone knob is wired to the neck pickup (or the other way round depending on which you consider the first and second tone knob, lol).

if you rewire the middle pickup's tone knob so it works on the bridge pickup, that may help, because (a) you can roll back the tone a bit which will remove some of the twang and (b) even if you keep the knob up full it won't be just as bright and twangy as with no tone knob.

then you can either just leave the middle pickup with no tone, or else wire it to either the neck pickup's tone knob or bridge (so you have one tone knob working across two pickups).

personally i'd probably have one tone knob controlling the neck and middle pickups and one controlling the bridge, as the bridge is a lot brighter and more likely to need the tone to be rolled off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 60s Road Worn Strat has Tex Mex pickups which are fairly high output and wamr as far as single coils go and it already has a tone control on the bridge pickup, the second tone control is for both the middle and bridge pickups.

The new strings certainly will add a metallic "twang" but it shouldn't be that much. I suspect that if you're more used to Gibson style guitars then you perhaps underestimated what a large difference there is in tone thanks to the brighter woods of the Strat, the bolt-on construction, the longer scale length and the tremolo bridge.

What's your amp? It may be that your amp is EQd for warmer toned guitars and you simply need to change the EQ to balance out the Fender sound. Usually if you want a strong distorted tone with Strats what you need is a warm, British-voiced amp like a Marshall or Orange kind of tone, you're ging to want to really pump up the mids and not go crazy with the treble. Adding a mid boost before the amp is a very popular way to get a stronger distorted tone out of single coils. Some people put a battery powered mid boost in the guitar itelf in place of one of the tone controls, though an easier option is to get a graphic EQ pedal, like an MXR, and set that to boost the mid frequencies a lot, especially the lower ones just before the bass.
Pick the strings near the base of the neck. The farther from the bridge that you can pick, the less twang you'll get. I've found that picking in the narrow region between the neck and the neck pickup can provide a very nice sound with minimal twang.
I'm using a vox ac30VR, i was looking at seymour duncan ssl 5 pickups are these highly rated or do they make much of a difference?, i've used the eq to boost the mid range a bit and it isn't sounding quite as twangy, i knew strats were twangy i just assumed that with a good amp and effects set up i would be able to get nice crisp distortion as well.

maybe roadworn wasn't the best choice then but i loved the looks and i got it for a good £200 cheaper than the usual price so i thought now was the time to give the strats a go, i think the sound and feel is really great, it's just not being able to achieve the distortion isn't good, it doesn't help being a massive foo fighters fan haha
Quote by thedot
I'm using a vox ac30VR, i was looking at seymour duncan ssl 5 pickups are these highly rated or do they make much of a difference?, i've used the eq to boost the mid range a bit and it isn't sounding quite as twangy, i knew strats were twangy i just assumed that with a good amp and effects set up i would be able to get nice crisp distortion as well.

maybe roadworn wasn't the best choice then but i loved the looks and i got it for a good £200 cheaper than the usual price so i thought now was the time to give the strats a go, i think the sound and feel is really great, it's just not being able to achieve the distortion isn't good, it doesn't help being a massive foo fighters fan haha

what exactly are you trying to achieve distortion wise? keep in mind that you are using single coil pups which tend to retain a bit of the clean sound no matter how much distortion you pile on. i like the clarity but if you are used to humbuckers you may not be so thrilled.
Quote by grohl1987
(a) The 60s Road Worn Strat has Tex Mex pickups which are fairly high output and wamr as far as single coils go and it already has a tone control on the bridge pickup, the second tone control is for both the middle and bridge pickups.

(b) The new strings certainly will add a metallic "twang" but it shouldn't be that much. I suspect that if you're more used to Gibson style guitars then you perhaps underestimated what a large difference there is in tone thanks to the brighter woods of the Strat, the bolt-on construction, the longer scale length and the tremolo bridge.

(c) What's your amp? It may be that your amp is EQd for warmer toned guitars and you simply need to change the EQ to balance out the Fender sound. Usually if you want a strong distorted tone with Strats what you need is a warm, British-voiced amp like a Marshall or Orange kind of tone, you're ging to want to really pump up the mids and not go crazy with the treble. Adding a mid boost before the amp is a very popular way to get a stronger distorted tone out of single coils. Some people put a battery powered mid boost in the guitar itelf in place of one of the tone controls, though an easier option is to get a graphic EQ pedal, like an MXR, and set that to boost the mid frequencies a lot, especially the lower ones just before the bass.

(a) ah ok, i didn't realise that. i just assumed, as a vintage spec strat, it'd have the tone control bypassing the bridge pickup.

in that case...

(b) yup

(c) yup
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think maybe the best option would be to install a hotter bridge pickup when i use a tone modifier to make the single coil sound like a humbucker it sounds alot better but it still dips the quality of the natural tone, i'm not trying to achieve heavy metal like distrortion or anything just for the guitar to sound sharp and heavy when it needs be

has anyone any recommendations of good hotter strat pick ups? or would a mini humbucker suit better? is the seymour duncan ssl5 any good?
before doing anything else, i'd pull the pick guard and swap the middle and bridge without re-wiring anything. that way your middle pup position on the switch is the bridge pup on the guitar, and the middle knob is the tone knob for the bridge pup.

no soldering, no wiring, just a screwdriver.

if you no likey, switch it back.
I think the main issue is that the pickups are tex mex and so create that jangly tone i was going to replace the bridge pickup with a p90 but would this retain the strat tone?
Stacked humbucker in the bridge position and maybe the neck.
Much easier than having to buy a new pickguard or cutting it up, finding out that your strat is routed for 3 single coils and having to re-route it for a P90.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
most people strive to get that tone, not lose it.

however i found out how to do it a few years ago, simple, just put a set of ernie ball strings on. i've never used them since.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by dr_john at Jun 8, 2011,
I was in the same situation before with my Fender American Standard Strat.
I loved the twangy sound of the single coils in it, but it was just useless (in my opinion anyway..) for things like metal, because I just couldn't get the kind of sound I wanted.

Anyway, what I did kinda recently was install a Dimarzio ToneZone S (single coil sized humbucker) in the bridge, and it made everything just awesome about that strat.
Not sure I'd recommend the ToneZone for you though, cause it kinda depends on what you want...but it works well for a smooth distorted sound - yet still maintaining a distinct strat sound.
It does sound pretty nice clean I think, but the inbetween position between neck and middle is by far the best for that kinda thing if you got a strat imo

Yeaah people might think you're stupid for getting rid of that cool twang, but it's your guitar and you should do what you want with it to make it as enjoyable as possible for you to play.
I know I pick up my strat a whole lot more since I installed the tonezone in mine!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by thedot
I think the main issue is that the pickups are tex mex and so create that jangly tone i was going to replace the bridge pickup with a p90 but would this retain the strat tone?

nah not really
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?