About to get into the clear coating processes. I have vinyl sealer and then a clear lacquer to finish.

My question is if I can go about this with the guitar laying flat or if I will need to hang. My concerns with hanging it are if it falls, that's no good. If I lay it flat, how do I deal with overlapping where one side ends and the other begins? Should I spray half of the side from the top and the other half from the bottom?

Thanks!
I hang mine from a metal coat hanger by the hook end through one of the heel joint bolt screws or if its a set neck through one of the headstock screws. The very rare occasion were the guitar is to heavy for a coat hanger i use a bunjy chord and have both hooks through 2 difrent holes. hasnt failed me yet. hope this helps.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
What do you do about the spot that is blocked by the hanger? Do you move it around to spray?
I do the same coat hanger approach

if the hook goes through the body from the top side in the neck pocket, only a small part is blocked by the hook on the bottom of the body, which is easy enough to spray around at an angle. I haven't found I've missed any spots this way
I made a hanger using three utility hooks for hanging ladders, bikes and the like put into a piece of wood with galvanized steel wire on the bottom hook so it can turn.
I hang it on the rain troughs behind my garage. Works for me and it's held two guitars so far. One was a solid oak Telecaster.
My rain troughs are one piece troughs though so they are stronger.

This also works for trees as well.
..I was watching my death.
Gotta say I was really hoping for responses saying to spray it flat. Seems like it would be a lot easier.
imo spraying while it's hanging is the easier option. one solid coat over the entire body as opposed to a half and half sort of thing with the body laying flat

as long as you have a good area to spray in it's not too difficult at all
Ok. So it's a bolt on neck. Am I better off spraying them hanging separately or attach them and hanging the whole thing by the tuning peg hole?
Quote by Weszilla
Ok. So it's a bolt on neck. Am I better off spraying them hanging separately or attach them and hanging the whole thing by the tuning peg hole?

you don't want to have it lying flat. Really you run the risk of ruining your finish if you try to do it half and half. I would do the neck and body seperately, but tape up the neck pocket on the body.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The problem I found with laying it flat was dripping down the sides. There's really no good way to get the sides by laying it flat. So I hung it up with a coat hanger and then had to deal with vertical drips. I guess I just suck at spraying, and therefore my advice is hang it through the neck bolts and do light coats to start. I'm still having trouble with the final sanding though.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
Junior hacksaw. Pull an old one out of your tool box (or buy a cheap one), take the blade off and bend it to form a rather large and solid hook.
If u wanna do it flat you can make a rotisserie type deal with steel rods on either end that go into the hole for the strap button on the bottom end and a hold drilled into the neck pocket. I've seen it done this way to. you can spray the faace and rotate it like a roast pig to do the other faces
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
I bit the bullet and hung it from the garage rafters, running bent coat hangers through the neck bolt hole and the tuning peg hole. Should be ok, so long as it doesn't plummet at any point!