Why do people hate shred guitar? I hear people saying that it has no 'soul' 'character' and that it takes no talent, but in my opinion it has just as much soul and character as anything else. What about other forms of music that is usually played fast like surf, or bluegrass? Or anything played fast on any instrument? I also hear people say that there is no melody in shred music, but I hear a melody? or maybe I don't know what melody is?

I don't even listen to a lot of shred guitarists but I still found the hate they get mind boggling. Hell I didn't even differentiate shredders and other guitarists before I always thought of it as a tool to use rather than a genre??
Everyones just jelous they cant shred ( I cant also ) so they just put 'mind block' on it and say all the negative stuff about it.

Nah its ok, people dont hate it, its just that here ( on these forums ) litteraly every topic is on how to become a br00t shr33d3rz. And most of the people that ask this are.. well beginers,starters, people that dont have enough phisical capabilities nor the theory to do that.

And they just skip all the basic,important,MUST DO/KNOW stuff in order to become>a shreder and that just pi**ses of the vets of the board.
Who day/night try to talk sense into these/us grasshoppers that we must do your chords,intervals,scales,modes,metronome metronomemetronomemetronomemetronomemetronomemetronome FIRST for ALONG TIME and THEN..... only then.. whenever that is... worry about why/how 'I CANT SHRED"

Common shreder wannabe skill level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXL20IoyHM

AND FOR SOME GOOD LULZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdHPk9tlfkk
Last edited by DocArunas at Jun 3, 2011,
The statement that it takes no skill is pure ignorance.

Everything else is people desperately trying to justify something that is inherently unjustifiable, that is matters of taste.

A lot of people also get caught up on this idea that the single note is the important thing in a solo or melody when in shred the important part is the harmonic content/context, the contours of the line, the overall effect of the speed, where the line starts and ends and so on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 3, 2011,
people say those things because they don't like the genre in which shred is played. Because of course it has melody etc.
Also, sometimes there's no soul, but whatev. That happens with all music haha
People hate some things, people like other things, that's just how it is.

Regardless this isn't really the place to start a discussion about genres.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by hmblm12
Also, sometimes there's no soul, but whatev. That happens with all music haha

Anyone who uses the phrase "there is no soul" is pretending to a level of knowledge they don't and never will have. What they actually mean is "I don't connect with this piece personally" which is fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.