Hey everyone, new member here and I'm in need of some advice. I'm currently in the market for a low watt valve amp, one which I'll use to play varying types of metal on. I know I won't be able to achieve a heavily distorted modern metal sound with the HT-1 alone therefore I was thinking about sticking a Metal Muff pedal with it as well. I currently only have £300 to spend and I'm not really in the market for a digital amp or for anything which needs to be loud. My main use would be for practise at home and playing along to songs really.

Does this sound like a good decision? It all came about after watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3900Exbb4P0) where they tested a Metal Muff with the Marshall MA50C and because I don't have the money for a MA50C or the need for that much valve power I was thinking a HT-1 may be a suitable replacement?

Cheers for any helpful responses!
Blackstars are great from what I've read. Every time I see a thread about a cheap tube amp the name pops up as one of the best small tube amps. I say go for it.

Edit*
Why not call a couple local shops and see if they have one you can try out for yourself?
Last edited by dopelope at Jun 3, 2011,
Thanks, I wonder if they take pedals well? Could anyone with a HT-1R advise me on this?

EDIT: I know a few shops which have them in however they do not have a metal muff, I could always just ask em to stick a different distortion pedal in and see how it goes
Last edited by Ashmore at Jun 3, 2011,
Hmmm... Blackstars generally take pedals well, so it should not be a problem. I'm not sure of the prices, I'm just wondering if you'll have enough to buy both the amp + pedal.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Tbh I'm in the same boat as you, pondering on wether I should go down the HT-1 + stompbox route. I am currently using a similar setup with another small tube amp, and from my experience the effects are carried well though you may need some kind of noise gate.

A blackstar HT1 is around 200 quid, you can get a metal pedal off ebay.

I dislike how these small tube amps dont have 3 band EQ..
Quote by Karma Colossus
Tbh I'm in the same boat as you, pondering on wether I should go down the HT-1 + stompbox route. I am currently using a similar setup with another small tube amp, and from my experience the effects are carried well though you may need some kind of noise gate.

A blackstar HT1 is around 200 quid, you can get a metal pedal off ebay.

I dislike how these small tube amps dont have 3 band EQ..

Solution: MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Just bought the HT-1R today with a metal muff pedal. It's a perfect little practise amp and can nail (within reason) some good metal tones. If anyone was thinking of buying a modelling amp I'd suggest you get a little blackstar, best practise amp by far!
since u already bought the amp, i would personally suggest trying an mxr fullbore. i run mine thru a vht special 6 ultra and damn does that thing give a shit load of tones. wats nice about it is that it A) has a built in noise gate B) has 3 band eq and C) has an adjustable mid scoop function. its a very versatile pedal and can do alot of sounds with it. i will say tho, it doesnt clean up very much and if ur looking for a crunchy overdrive, this is not ur pedal. i have mine cranked all the time and it gives a crushing metal tone and i love it. i paid $100 usd for it and its worth every penny
I'd suggest when you have some more money, get a nice 2x12 or 4x12 cab and run it through that. The HT1s sound freaking amazing through good cabs.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.