Would a mfx unit sound better if you plug your headphones direct into the unit itself, or if you plugged the unit into an amp and then plugged the headphones into the amp?

Thanks in advance
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
What unit? Depends on the unit, if the unit has amp modeling, and the amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
What unit? Depends on the unit, if the unit has amp modeling, and the amp.

The unit will be a Digitech rp355 and the amp is a Roland Cube 15x.
In my opinion, you should try both and see which one sounds better to you

EDIT: Btw, what do you think about the RP355? im probably gonna buy one
Quote by tntero
In my opinion, you should try both and see which one sounds better to you

EDIT: Btw, what do you think about the RP355? im probably gonna buy one

I don't have one yet, but, I will be getting one in about a week and I'll tell you then.

P.S. If you can't wait that long I think you should get it. To me, it's the best unit under $200.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I"ve got a digitech GNX4 and it sounds way better through the headphones. When I put it through my amp it sounds very fizzy with no warmth at all.

Yea, I think I'll just have to try both ways when I get it.
Quote by kutless999
I don't have one yet, but, I will be getting one in about a week and I'll tell you then.

P.S. If you can't wait that long I think you should get it. To me, it's the best unit under $200.

yeah i totally feel the same way, but i dont have the money yet, im trying to sell my bike xD

i reached a point where i dont consider other fx units, im just considering single fx pedals, but i cant buy many with that budget, and all pedals i have are behringers, so i guess it'll be better to buy the RP355
Quote by tntero
yeah i totally feel the same way, but i dont have the money yet, im trying to sell my bike xD

i reached a point where i dont consider other fx units, im just considering single fx pedals, but i cant buy many with that budget, and all pedals i have are behringers, so i guess it'll be better to buy the RP355

Yea, I think it would be better to buy the rp355 as opposed to buying single effects and if you buy single effects, the money will really add up.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I"ve got a digitech GNX4 and it sounds way better through the headphones. When I put it through my amp it sounds very fizzy with no warmth at all.
What kind of amp? I have a GNX4 running into a tube amp. I find it sounds better to use the "direct" amp and the distortion model for overdrive.

The GNX4 is a very difficult unit to tweak. The cabinet modeling and warping has so many variations that your get ear fatigue trying to dial in tones. So unless you are recording USB, running through monitors, or need an amp tone out of the range of your tube amp, then bypassing the amp models is my preferred method.
Hey fly135, I have kind of been looking at the rp500 and I'm actually considering it. How much better is it than the 355? What I like about the 500 is all the foot switches and the tap tempo delay and the ease of use. It does have a looper. You just have to download it on digitech website. Also, does it sound different from the 355?
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 3, 2011,
You really need to download the manuals. There are usually additional FX and amp models for each model as you move up. The sounds are the same for identical FX and amps. A quick look at Digitech indicates the same number of FX but more amp models on the 500. The biggest advantage is more footswitches.
Yea, I guess I'll just get the 355. I probably really don't need the extra foot switches anyway. At least the rp355 has stomp box mode.
Quote by kutless999
Yea, I guess I'll just get the 355. I probably really don't need the extra foot switches anyway. At least the rp355 has stomp box mode.

What nobody tells you is that the stompbox mode is a bitch to use and you wind up wishing it had more footswitches after using it a couple of weeks
The Roland Cube has modeling itself, I wouldn't suggest running a modeling MFX into one unless you have the ones with the Effects Loop, which would only be the 40XL and the 80XL.

You could always run the MFX into a PA / Monitor. Are you going to buy both at the same time, or do you have one of the two currently?

IMO get the RP500 and just run earphones for now. Then save up for a tube amp / good PA so you can run it direct.

Budget btw? Try checking the Line 6 Pod HD series as well.

For more Modelling / MFX unit information, come by our DSP thread. Link in my sig.
Quote by Syriel
The Roland Cube has modeling itself, I wouldn't suggest running a modeling MFX into one unless you have the ones with the Effects Loop, which would only be the 40XL and the 80XL.

You could always run the MFX into a PA / Monitor. Are you going to buy both at the same time, or do you have one of the two currently?

IMO get the RP500 and just run earphones for now. Then save up for a tube amp / good PA so you can run it direct.

Budget btw? Try checking the Line 6 Pod HD series as well.

For more Modelling / MFX unit information, come by our DSP thread. Link in my sig.

I'm getting the mfx unit soon and I don't have a pa monitor. My budget= nothing over $200. I think I have decided on a digitech unit unless you can convince me otherwise.
Last edited by kutless999 at Jun 4, 2011,