So basically, i love the jazzmaster looks, but hate the trem. This is the first hardtail jazzmaster i've seen.

My plan was to add a mustang bridge / Tune o matic, and add string through holes where the trem usually is on jazzmasters.
Maybe put a fender neck onto it too!

How difficult would it be to add the new bridge?

Here's the guitar.
Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Jun 3, 2011,
what would you do about the hole for the trem block? i am putting a hardtail on my project that used to have a trem, but i put a new 1/4 inch top and back on it, so that wasnt an issue.
the string through thing crossed my mind too, but even if you mount a plate in the back for the strings to start at, how do you deal with them on top when they come through? i didnt trust ferrules in 1/4 wood on top to hold the pressure of the strings, because they have to leave the top at an angle to go to the TOM. if you modded it to have a string through bridge plate with adjustable saddles so there is a plate over the hole it might work, but it would have to line up at the right spot for intonation too...
This models a hard tail. just some crazy bridge on it :/

I get what you're saying about the string thru business. if all else fails, i'd use a LP style stop tail, but it'd be nice to have this sort of thru business

by all means you could do that style. so your guitar has no trem now? and no hole through it? i guess im confused at what you have and want a little..
you started off saying you didnt like the trem, but now you say its a hardtail!
lol
Standard jazzmasters have a trem, The one pictured in the first post is a hardtail jazzmaster, which is the one i'd be buying to mod!
ohh, i thought you already had one. i get it!
well now i can answer then lol
notice theres 3 holes for the bridge screws, and the saddles are between them. if you pull that bridge for a TOM, you will have to add screws essentially at the edges of where the saddles are now, leaving the 3 holes open, and a slot in the pick guard for the bridge. that would be your first issue to overcome. with some paint, filler, and a pickguard blank you can work through that, but it will be work for sure. or i suppose you could get a pickguard blank, extend it to cover the 3 holes and not worry about paint. youd have to make your own shape though.
the string-through holes arent easy to line up, even with a drill-press. thats the second task. if you made the back have a recessed and covered spot to start them, you can drill through the front and as long as they line up there, they can be off a little in back, it will be covered.

those are my thoughts
Sweet! the holes and stuff don't really worry me. What about the neck? Would i have to add a shim or something?
It's critical that your guitar's fretboard radius and the bridge saddle radiuses match. The TOM has a fixed radius that may or may not match your existing or proposed necks radius. The TOM also has a fixed string spacing that may or may not fit the necks as well.
A modern Telecaster type tail assembly adjusts each string for intonation as well as string height, so you an dial in the right radius for example.
Measure twice, think it through, buy once. Good luck.
The Jazzmaster with hardtail likely has a straight neck. To use a ToM bridge, you'll either need to recess the ToM or angle the neck accordingly.
Quote by xadioriderx
you may have to angle it back some, or shim the whole thing up.. im not sure how low the TOM will go compared to the factory bridge... heres a photoshop for ya, pretty quick and dirty though lol

That's exactly how i pictured it thanks!

Quote by Guitbuilder
It's critical that your guitar's fretboard radius and the bridge saddle radiuses match. The TOM has a fixed radius that may or may not match your existing or proposed necks radius. The TOM also has a fixed string spacing that may or may not fit the necks as well.
A modern Telecaster type tail assembly adjusts each string for intonation as well as string height, so you an dial in the right radius for example.
Measure twice, think it through, buy once. Good luck.

I've been looking, and rather than a TOM, i think im gonna go with a mustang bridge. Similar design, but it's the correct size for the Jazzmaster IIR