I would post this in the Cubase thread, but it's been long dead, so here it goes...

Basically, I am having trouble playing back anything that I record. Sure, I can press play. But does any sound come out? No.

Do the speakers work? (The obvious)
Yes, they do. They work with every program BUT Cubase, which leads me to think that somehow Cubase isn't getting to the sound card.

Device setup?
If I go Devices - VST Connections - Outputs, I can see that my speakers are in the port section, and are labeled active.

Honestly, I have no clue. I asked one of my friends who also has Cubase, and he is not sure either.
Help?

FYI: Cubase 5 standard.
Current gear:
Schecter Omen Extreme FR
Boss ME-20
Fender Frontman 212r 100W
Yamaha 335 Acoustic
Squier Strat w/ EMG's (Don't ask...)
One other guitar I cannot recall at this point...
What interface are you using? In fact, what is your signal path from Cubase to your ears - at least how it's *supposed* to go?

I'm looking for something mislabeled, or perhaps a volume applet that is turned down somewhere.

Do you see output on the master fader? Let's start there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Right now I'm just using a simple USB mic for recording some simple stuff until my interface comes (within a few days hopefully). The output is just my laptop speakers, Conexant CX20671 SmartAudio HD. When I go to the ouput area, as mentioned before, the output port, both left and right, is the aforementioned name of the speaker. This was where my friend said to check, and he didn't know what to do after that.

And I cannot find master fader... even looked it up in the help sections. I just got the program yesterday (When I posted this thread), so obviously it's all still a bit new to me.
Current gear:
Schecter Omen Extreme FR
Boss ME-20
Yamaha 335 Acoustic
To find the master fader:
-open the mixer panel
-it's the one on the far right.
-if you have not customized it with another name, it is probably going by the default name "bus 1"

Is your master fader showing activity?

If not, you might have to assign your tracks to the master fader. I'll see if I can find the page in the manual that tells you how to do that. Or better yet.... just search the manual for "assigning channels" or something like that.

Also, did you know that there is a Steinberg forum for Cubase users? You will actually find people from Steinberg on there, along with a raft of very experienced users. You just need to register with your dongle number. (the serial number on your USB dongle)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Alright, I shall check this all out. Thank you for your help!

And thanks for notifying me about that. Was not aware. Again, thanks!

EDIT: I've found the master fader, but I cannot find anything in any of the manuals regarding assigning tracks, channels, or even master fader. Any ideas?
Current gear:
Schecter Omen Extreme FR
Boss ME-20
Yamaha 335 Acoustic
Last edited by fireblast13 at Jun 4, 2011,