Hi everyone,

Finished recording this yesterday and I'm very proud of it, but am looking for feedback and constructive criticism on where to improve. Putting this on an album I'm recording which I'll hopefully finish this summer.

http://soundcloud.com/jamie29h/signs-of-grace

UPDATE:

I've finished recording the opening track to the album, which segways into this one, so if you're feeling very kind I'd be grateful if you listened to the two in order Just go to this link and Press play on "Disconnected"... and "Signs Of Grace" will automatically play after it THANK YOU!

http://soundcloud.com/jamie29h

C4C promise!
Last edited by jamie29h at Jun 4, 2011,
Nice job man. Sounds really cool, I like the vibe of it a lot. The quality is nice too, the drums sound funky and the guitars too. The vocals are tops as well. My only critique would be that I get a little lost in the structure of it, but that is only if you approach it from a strictly commercial pop perspective (which is irrelevant if that's not what you're going for). Overall it is a really cool track and lookin' forward to hearing the album
Cheers guys

For the effect of the background voice I just used two simple Logic (Not sure if you're familiar with it) plug-ins. It's basically just a pitch correction unit with a really low response time and a pitch shifter set to one third higher to give that slghtly strange harmony!
This is really cool, I love the flow of it dude. Keep up what you do, because you make professional sounding tracks.

Could you check out my little instrumental (so far) and reply to what you think about it? Thanks. It's my last post.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
I really really like this man haha. To me, it almost has a MUSE feel to it. I like your voice too. The guitar work is cool and gives it almost like a carnival vibe to it. Maybe that just might be me. If you can, check out my stuff!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448295
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Thanks guys! I will crit all your stuff before I go to bed Just a little update, I've finished recording the opening track to the album, which segways into this one, so if you're feeling very kind I'd be grateful if you listened to the two in order Just go to this link and Press play on "Disconnected"... and "Signs Of Grace" will automatically play after it THANK YOU!

http://soundcloud.com/jamie29h
Great job! I really like it. Quality is great.

I may have missed that part somehow, but is it possible to read the lyrics anyway? I'm very interested in those, as there are a few parts which I don't get(i.e. can't hear).

That would be great, since I could do a much more thorough critique.

Oh, and I know it's not nice to compare.. But you do sound like you have been inspired by Thom Yorke in the vocal style now and then - Am I right?:P.. But that's not a bad thing AT ALL, and you've made it unique anyways, so it's great!

- Huliheaden
Haha yes I love Radiohead more than I love my left testicle

Here are the lyrics for you!

I hear voices, voices calling, voices out at sea
Noise is white and noise can comfort me,
Falling forwards, falling backwards, fall in love with me.
You know much and I know nothing at all

We've lost all signs of grace,
Upped and left without a trace

Lost in thought or lost in general?
I am not too sure,
Noise is white and noise could be the cure.
Silent nights of silent suffering, this is how it starts.
You know much and I know nothing at all

We've lost all signs of grace,
Upped and left without a trace

(Synth Voice) We've lost all grace

Then the chorus repeats
This was really cool! The vocals really appealed to me as a mix of Imogen Heap and Thom Yorke. Heck, the song has Radiohead written all over it (well, in the verses at least). Not to say the chorus wasn't bad, in fact probably my favourite part of the song. Great job with the drums there, the drums really add a different feel to the song - keeps it interesting and upbeat. Nice! I love how well the bridge transitions into the chorus. Mean job with this one dude

If you could, C4C my band's new song? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446753

Thanks for the great song!
Hey man, critting as I listen:

Intro sounds nice and is creating a nice atmosphere. The tone is nice.

Guitars at 0:34 are REALLY nice oO. And I just said nice 5 times in a row, wth.

The Toms sound a bit odd, I'd maybe make them a bit quiter or put a bit reverb on them, they seem to not fit into the mix.

The drums are good, overall the song has a really great atmosphere and a driving feel to it, maybe even a bit to much, I'm not sure

The bit at 1:34 is a bit to sudden and too loud for my taste, while the spoken text is exactly as loud as it should. Good job!

Like the change at 1:46. Oh, the vocal sound Interessting.

And next song:

The vocals are signifcanlty louder than in the song before oO

Uh, great mix. And very interessting song. Like the fill at 1:00 and damn! The song gets even better after that. You have an amazing voice. The voice could maybe stand a bit more out of the mix. Damn that chorus is one of the best I heard for quite a while. Again, your tone is really good.

I'm not sure about the part on from 2:25, there seems to be no general direction, even though one can notice a build up. I'm just missing something there, not sure

All in all, a damn nice song. Favourited! And I'll make sure to listen through your other stuff aswell Dammit, I sound just like a fanboy.

C4C

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Thanks for the feedback!

I took your advice on the first track OrangeWalls as I completely agreed, re uploaded it so the new version is now at the same link, thank you so much Will crit your guys' stuff before I go to bed!