Poll: Can you bring yourself to love a mentally challenged person?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you bring yourself to love a mentally challenged person?
Yes - Explain
43 23%
No - Explain
86 46%
Don't know
56 30%
Voters: 185.
Page 1 of 4
I'm watching this Chinese TVB series that's really addictive called Flower World, Flower Sister (romantic/comedy/drama). The main plot is where a guy finds out he is in love with a mentally challenged girl with the latter also having feelings for the former. When he finds out, he hates himself so much and he can't bring himself to love her. I can't imagine being in that situation but I honestly wouldn't know what to do.

What would you do?

A Clip of the first episode - sorry, no subtitles
Opening Theme

Some notes about the challenged girl in question in the above series:

- She's scared of thunder and lightening
- She takes care of her younger brother and sister by cooking and housekeeping so she's not confined etc.
- She understands a lot of things but she's just a little slow
- She makes teddy pigs as a hobby
- She understands the concepts of love and other emotions (otherwise she wouldn't have fallen for the guy)
- She knows how to read and write but I think on a slightly lower level than most
- She works at a catering establishment run by her uncle by delivering (only close proximity)
- She can use a cell phone
- She has another mentally challenged female friend so she's independent in that sense

So, I'm not talking about a seriously mentally challenged girl. You can see from the clips about the way she acts and her habits - sorry that there's no subs.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 3, 2011,
Love as in romantic love? I don't think I could.

Although I feel guilty for it now, thanks.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
This series is so good and the more I watch it the more I'm finding it really difficult to answer. I'm waiting for the new episodes to air so I get to find out what happens. Stupid TVB doesn't broadcast on weekends
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Romantically, no. Otherwise, probably.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
How mentally challenged is she? Because I can't see a romantic relationship working out in many instances of retardation, but I'm friends with an autistic guy, he's super cool. Its much more possible to love one in a familial way. I don't think romantic love could work because it likely wouldn't be reciprocated in way that we could understand.

I'm gonna go ahead and give an uplifting, 90's sitcom-y "yes", though.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jun 3, 2011,
Yeah it'd be weird to romantically love someone like that. Tis the sad truth.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
No. How did he not know she was mentally challenged? Lolwut
My sound.
Bugera 1990 Half Stack,
Jackson RR3, single EMG 85/bridge,
a planet waves patch cord.
Quote by phoenix_crush
I'm disgusted with the fact that Attack Attack can make money and a career by sucking so much dick.
Quote by Das_Skittles
Romantically, no. Otherwise, probably.

Well the guy ends up great friends with her and her family (only younger sister and younger brother because their parents died a long time ago). He then suddenly finds out he dreams about her also and later really loves her. It's hard to explain the difference between love like a sister/brother and romantically love someone in that situation.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Probably not. Not trying to be a dick, but I can barely make out what they're trying to say most of the time
pinga
Quote by btp
No. How did he not know she was mentally challenged? Lolwut

No no, he knows. That's the thing. He hates her at first though.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by L2112Lif
Schizophrenia? I.... Think that'd be pretty difficult.

Actually, it's not as hard as you think... Then again the few schitzophrenics I've met have been well medicated and hide the disorder as best they can.
Nope.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Well, it depends on what you mean by "mentally challenged". Is she mildly autistic? Or is it like, full blown down syndrome?
Yea if she wasn't goin uhh and durr all the time. I mean most girls I know are seem to be pretty slow anyway,
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Absolutely. It all depends what love is predicated on for you. My aunt is mentally retarded (fully). I have no feelings of love or anything for her. She can't talk, doesn't understand anything, etc. But someone who's slow, but can understand things and show affection? Yeah.

But in terms of a sexual relationship, it's a tough one. For people just a little slow, or people with dyslexia and learning disabilities, yes. For people who are severely challenged, no. But mostly because there's no real reciprocity there.
No, she's probably already married to Mr. F.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Depends on how far gone she is.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Probably not
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I'm not going to cripple my life by forcing myself to love a tard'.

Edit: Not trying to be a prick or anything, but most special people have that ugly "I have snot running down my face, but it works out because it's tasty" look.
What a long strange trip it's been

Nothing to see here.

You hail the calves as eloquently as any facade of Easter Island.

Quote by Pencil Man
You know it get's serious when UG's Obama tells you off.

Call me Mr. President
Last edited by Nomack at Jun 3, 2011,
Love isn't a choice. You can suppress feelings but if you love someone then you can't change it.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Why not? Most of the people who has posted so far are retarded and I love you guys
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I can't see why I wouldn't be able to, as long as the person is intelligent enough to have a personality. I don't love people for whether they can solve complex algebra problems or not, I love them for who they are.

But then again, I have issues in just dealing with people in the day-to-day that I have to repeat myself multiple times to, so the chance of me ever falling for someone like that is very slim.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I know it sounds bad but if I see someone in a wheelchair or obviously has something wrong with them, I won't try to make friends with them. Around my school there's all this stuff about trying to make friends with them but I can't.

I can't bring myself to have to make all the extra effort for them. I don't think it's being lazy, because who wants to have to push their friend around all the time, not go to theme parks or bike rides because they're in a wheelchair, be unable to have proper conversations with them because they can't speak properly or whatever.

Maybe it's just me but meh

edit: I don't mind small things like reminding them for pills or whatever, this applies to people with proper disabilities to such an extend you can barely communicate
It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.
Last edited by MrRockandRoll at Jun 3, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr
No, she's probably already married to Mr. F.

Damn you, I came here to post that, and my post would have had a picture.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by MrRockandRoll
I know it sounds bad but if I see someone in a wheelchair or obviously has something wrong with them, I won't try to make friends with them. Around my school there's all this stuff about trying to make friends with them but I can't.

I can't bring myself to have to make all the extra effort for them. I don't think it's being lazy, because who wants to have to push their friend around all the time, not go to theme parks or bike rides because they're in a wheelchair, be unable to have proper conversations with them because they can't speak properly or whatever.

Maybe it's just me but meh

edit: I don't mind small things like reminding them for pills or whatever, this applies to people with proper disabilities to such an extend you can barely communicate

BTW, people in wheelchairs =/= mentally retarded people. You basically made the assumption that all people in wheelchairs are retarded. I know a LOT of people in wheelchairs, and they are some of the smartest people I know.

Also, I've seen people who are wheelchair users ride slightly modified bikes, drive cars, get on rollercoasters, etc. Hell, I saw a guy take his wheelchair down a flight of stairs the other day because he didn't want to wait for an elevator. Try not to generalize.

OT, I'd prefer to love someone who is mostly all there mentally. There is such a big spectrum, but obviously it would be hard to love someone without a personality.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
I don't see why not. If I loved someone and found out they were mentally challenged, it really wouldn't change a damn thing. I'm actually a little shocked at the poll results.
Page 1 of 4