Hi,

I own a gibson explorer, and I really need to put some straplocks on them (preferably Schallers). But I read some discussions at the internet from people who say that the screws from the straplocks won't fit into the guitar.
Now my question is: Can I put the straplocks on my guitar with the ORIGINAL screw from the ORIGINAL strap buttons? (I'm concerned about the strap button at the back of the guitar, I don't want to damage the guitar)
I have straplocks on my Epi Explorer, but I think I couldn't use the original screws if I remember correctly. They needed to be longer I think, but I think they were included. I'm in Kuwait, and my Explorer is in America...so I can't look at it...
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Jun 3, 2011,
But will the screw included with the straplocks fit the guitar? Because I don't wanna start drilling the hole and stuff...
Quote by Better_Believer
But will the screw included with the straplocks fit the guitar? Because I don't wanna start drilling the hole and stuff...

I just used a shit ton of wax on the screws and it worked out alright.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Schaller's a better choice than Dunlop. The Dunlops will eventually wear out, and I've seen Schallers go for a looooong time.

The screw that comes with Schaller straplocks is really thin IIRC. But you can apply some superglue with a toothpick to the threads of the screw and it'll hold.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
Schaller's a better choice than Dunlop. The Dunlops will eventually wear out, and I've seen Schallers go for a looooong time.

The screw that comes with Schaller straplocks is really thin IIRC. But you can apply some superglue with a toothpick to the threads of the screw and it'll hold.

So I can't just use my original screw? I have to use the screw included with the straplocks?
Quote by Better_Believer
So I can't just use my original screw? I have to use the screw included with the straplocks?

I'm not sure. If it works, then that's what I'd use. But there can be some cases where the screw from the straplocks is too small for the guitar, and in that case the screw with the original strap buttons would be too big to fit through the lock itself.

On my Vector, I remember the screws fitting with no problem. But I had one guitar where the screw was too small to even thread (either my RG or my S, can't remember. But I seem to remember having straplocks on my RG so...).
Quote by Tone Deaf
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Quote by JagerSlushy
I'm not sure. If it works, then that's what I'd use. But there can be some cases where the screw from the straplocks is too small for the guitar, and in that case the screw with the original strap buttons would be too big to fit through the lock itself.

On my Vector, I remember the screws fitting with no problem. But I had one guitar where the screw was too small to even thread (either my RG or my S, can't remember. But I seem to remember having straplocks on my RG so...).

I see... But will I damage the guitar's neck by screwing the straplock screw into the guitar? I'm sorry, but this is something that has been keeping me busy for months, I really need to know
Quote by ethan_hanus
If the screws ain't big enough, then go get a bigger screw, they are cheap.

The problem is the size of the lock itself. A big screw won't fit through it.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Quote by JagerSlushy
The problem is the size of the lock itself. A big screw won't fit through it.

Take the straplocks into your local hardware store and tell them what you're trying to do. Shouldn't cost you more than $0.50. You also shouldn't need to do this, but if it comes down to it.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
If they don't fit you can use a drill bit, just a hair bigger than the original hole and make it bigger to fit the new screw.
Simple answer. I don't know.

Because of the screw head fit, you should use the screws that come with the straplocks. If they are larger than the original screws you will need to drill the holes out slightly. Don't guess, there are charts readily available that show what size drill bit to use for a given screw size to ensure appropriate thread contact. Too small and you get excessive pressure on the wood, which can lead to all manner of unpleasantness, too large and the screws pull out, again not a pretty sight.

If the supplied screws are smaller, then you can use the originals IF the heads will work to adequately hold the straplocks on.

Do NOT use 'superglue' to hold the screws in, if you must use any glue, use a quality product designed for wood, which superglue decidedly is NOT. (Wood being porous, and superglue not designed for porous surfaces...)

It isn't rocket surgery, but it does lend itself to paying careful attention to detail.

Quote by ethan_hanus
Just get some large flat washers, and some deck screws and your good to go, will outlast both of them, may not look at pretty though.

If the screws ain't big enough, then go get a bigger screw, they are cheap.

Flatwashers and deck screws on a Gibson Explorer?

Freakin' Texas Rednecks.....
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 4, 2011,
My experience with them is the supplied screws was to small for the stock screw holes in the body. The original screws heads for my guitar was to large to fit in the locks not much but just a little. I took the original screws and run across a grinder just enough to make them fit and never had a problem with them. It didn't take much just a couple of passes.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Quote by Arby911
Flatwashers and deck screws on a Gibson Explorer?

Freakin' Texas Rednecks.....

Damn man, no need to get all uppity.

It's a cheaper way of getting it to work without the need for messing with screws and shit. Does it need to look pretty? No, it just needs to keep the damn guitar from falling on the ****ing ground.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Have you considered one of them new fangled locking straps? No mods to the guitar at all/

Otherwise, I'm with the Texan, DIY all the way!
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by kumamilesbear
Damn man, no need to get all uppity.

It's a cheaper way of getting it to work without the need for messing with screws and shit. Does it need to look pretty? No, it just needs to keep the damn guitar from falling on the ****ing ground.

Yeah, you can paint a Ferrari with a brush too, but it's not generally done that way...

And I live in Texas and grew up rural and poor, so 'redneck' applies here as well.
schallers fitted my gibson les paul perfectly while using the screw that came with the straplocks that is.
Get some toothpicks and wood glue. Do a dry fit of how many toothpicks will fit in the hole.When thats done cut the toothpicks just a tad shorter than the depth of the hole.You don't want the picks to stick above the body.It's extra work and if you try to cut the picks with a razor blade or whatever you could scratch the paint.Put glue in the hole then slide the picks in.The excess glue will squeeze out. Use a damp cloth to wipe away the glue.Do this before going to bed .The glue will fully cure over night,just because you don't want to sit there watching glue dry. LOL.Get a drill bit a bit smaller than the screw and drill a new hole.All done.
DiMarzio ClipLok. I have always used this on my Explorer and never had a problem.