How do you do a rock beat with usual base on 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4, but while doing 16th notes on the hihat with both hands? I always lose it and my hands get confused and end up doing 3 strokes in a row with one hand at one point... It's kinda weird. How do you guys do it?
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy
To get me through the day

LONG LIVE DREAM
Start slowly, make sure you get the 16ths clean on the hi-hat and then add in the bass.

Then start doing the 16ths and add in the snare.

And then put them all together.

You're gonna end up playing the snare with whatever hand starts the 16th pattern on the hi-hats (Which means you miss one 16th every time you hit the snare).
It's just straight sixteenth notes, R L R L R L etc..., but you move your right hand to the snare on 2 and 4. Make sure your sixteenths are as even as possible on just the hi hat before you start adding in the snare. Other than that, practice! With a metronome if at all possible.
I am the meek.

And I shall inherit the earth.
^^Yeah, the sheet music example is what you should be doing. Just take it really slowly at first to get used to it, like, play it at half speed or something. On the 2 and 4 your right hand will move down from the HH to hit the snare, there won't be any notes played on the hi-hat on the 2.
Quote by Steve08
^^Yeah, the sheet music example is what you should be doing. Just take it really slowly at first to get used to it, like, play it at half speed or something. On the 2 and 4 your right hand will move down from the HH to hit the snare, there won't be any notes played on the hi-hat on the 2.

I see I understand now. I was trying to hit both the snare and the hihat at the same time so it'd get really... confusing.
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy

LONG LIVE DREAM
Quote by EriX29
I see I understand now. I was trying to hit both the snare and the hihat at the same time so it'd get really... confusing.

you are supposed to hit the snare and hi hat at the same time...

if the hi hat is: 1 2 3 4 in a bar, then the snare comes in on the 3. (bass usually in 1)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y

if the hi hat is: 1 2 3 4 in a bar, then the snare comes in on the 3. (bass usually in 1)

he's talking about a 16th pattern though, it's practically impossible to hit the hi hat and snare at the same and keep a steady rhythm going unless you're a drum machine.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I just practiced the beginning of Criminally Insane by Slayer for a while. It's a fairly perfect trainer for 16ths on the hi hat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypZcxDe7as
You gotta get the basic Bass Snare Bass Bass Snare rhythm right first. After you've mastered that, you get the hang of more complicated rhythms soon after
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by s-o-u-l-f-l-y

?

I think you're mixing up beats. Even in 8th-note hi-hat patterns, a ton of drummers will skip the hi-hat hit that co-exists with the snare hit to add flavor, I know I do it a ton and add a flam in rather than a hi-hat.
Wait, what?

I've always played consistant 16ths with my right hand on the high hat, the bass on the downbeats, and the snare on two and four with my left hand...

It's what i get for being self taught
Quote by GrStMyGn
Wait, what?

I've always played consistant 16ths with my right hand on the high hat, the bass on the downbeats, and the snare on two and four with my left hand...

Are you doubling up in your right hand, or bouncing or something? I can't imagine wristing out fast 16ths...

But if you do it that way, then you can get constant 16ths and not have a gap for the snare. I doubt anyone is actually missing that hi-hat note, but I suppose it must be nice to get it if you want it.
I think whats happening here is some confusion of 16ths and 32nds.
Lets say you're at 150 bpm. You should easily be able to play one handed 16ths. It's the way your mind perceives the beat. If 16ths are 1-e-and-a, etc so you'd have you'd have KICK-e-SNARE-a...
When you play it as a 'roll' its really more like 32nds of KICK-e-and-a-SNARE-e-and-a...
^One handed 16ths at 150 bpm is easy? >_>

Quote by GrStMyGn
Wait, what?

You can do that, there's not really a wrong way to do it, but the way that almost everybody does it is with two hands. It's more efficient, and you can only do the one-handed method up to a certain tempo. Even a fairly slow tempo like 90-100 bpm would get tiring after a while.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 3, 2011,
^Wow. You know what, I had that idea in my head so quickly that I just typed it up without actually filtering it through my brain. Halve that. At 75 you can easily do 16ths. My whole "how the brain perceives it" things completely snuck up on me.
If your playing the hi-hat with 2 hands, it is going to be difficult to hit the snare and the hat's at the same time at any decent tempo.

I think people are getting a bit muddled withy the 8th/16th/32nd notes. You can play 32nd notes with one hand at a slow tempo in the same way you could play 8th notes with two hands at a fast tempo. I think the point was EriX29 was playing with 2 hands and wasn't sure where the beats fell. Unless this has been established, this thread has confused me

Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by Skinny91
If your playing the hi-hat with 2 hands, it is going to be difficult to hit the snare and the hat's at the same time at any decent tempo.

I think people are getting a bit muddled withy the 8th/16th/32nd notes. You can play 32nd notes with one hand at a slow tempo in the same way you could play 8th notes with two hands at a fast tempo. I think the point was EriX29 was playing with 2 hands and wasn't sure where the beats fell. Unless this has been established, this thread has confused me

I'm playing with 2 hands on the hihat trying to get 4 strokes per beat. Therefore 16th notes?

What was confusing me is how I'd get my right hand down to hit the snare on the 2/4 while keeping the hihat. That was answered already so the thread is not needed anymore XD.
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy

LONG LIVE DREAM
Quote by EriX29
I'm playing with 2 hands on the hihat trying to get 4 strokes per beat. Therefore 16th notes?

What was confusing me is how I'd get my right hand down to hit the snare on the 2/4 while keeping the hihat. That was answered already so the thread is not needed anymore XD.

Yeah thats right, as I said, I was very confused
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Quote by retrocausality
A lot of confusion seems to be going on in this thread...

oh that's right, you're all drummers.

Oh, you... It may be a stereotype, but there's at least a little truth to it
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by retrocausality

I don't get it. I'm confused .
I'm sick of all
Your hypocrites
Holding me at bay
And I don't need
Your sympathy

LONG LIVE DREAM
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
i do it like this;

Ya, thats the way to do it
Quote by Kilty Boxers
So i suppose 2+2=4 is a stereotype as well?

Hooray For Canada.
Quote by retrocausality

I lol'd. I rag on my drum teacher all the time with these kind of jokes. I must remember this one.