So a few days ago I made a thread about multi fx, and I've done a bunch of research, and pretty much decided that the Pod HD500 was the best option out there for me.

Well, I was looking at the Boss GT-10 some more, and it seems that it has an 1/4" output for amp control. From what I've read on various forums, this means that it can act as a footswitch for my amp (my amp has a 1/4" stereo jack for the footswitch).

Is this the case? I can't seem to find a complete list of features anywhere for the unit.

Essentially, I need to know if I can program the ability to switch channels into a patch. For example, if there's 4 assignable patch stomps, 1 would be the amp's clean channel, as well as the GT-10's chorus & reverb. Then 2 would be the amp's dist. channel, as well as the GT-10's OD and phaser. The GT-10's preamp features would be disabled entirely. This is something that never occurred to me before, I thought that simultaneous amp channel switching as well as MFX effect switching could only be done with a complex midi system.

Additionally, it seems that in addition to possibly being able to do what I described in the previous paragraph, I can make it so that, for instance, on stomp 3 or 4, I can use a built in preamp model in the GT-10, and bypass my amps preamp. Is this also possible, or can I only have it set up for one or the other (bypassing my amps preamp, or running into it)?

The ability to simultaneously switch amp channels and MFX FX patches is extremely important to me, because that means I can keep my 5150 (or upgrade to the head version at some point), and have that awesome distortion, and have all of the awesome FX in various combinations I want, rather than downgrading to a clean amp, and using the MFX's digital distortion FX instead of real amp gain.

I hope this makes sense...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
"Amp Control allows you to switch the channels on your external two-channel amp. This is a polarity setting that basically is connected from the AMP CONTROL output of the GT-10 to the Channel Switching input on your amp. Some amps have opposite channels depending on if they are open or closed. The neat thing is you can save this with your preset."

This should give you a vague idea of setting it up and stuff I guess http://blip.tv/centrifuse/how-to-set-up-the-boss-gt-10-w-out-amp-or-cab-sims-into-a-head-or-combo-1095294
Yeah, this is the kind of info that is good. Thanks guys.

@Ignite That is awesome. I will seriously consider getting one of those when I have the budget for it.

@funeralllllllll I see he made what I want to do work, but he used the MIDI output because his amp uses a MIDI switch. Do you know if I can do the same thing using the 1/4" output?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thats what the point of the amp control output is yeah :p

but with the 1/4 you can only switch between two wouldn't be good for an amp with more channels

i use the gain channel of my dual channel amp by plugging the gt10 into it with the 4 cable method so i can skip the preamp if i want to by disabling the send/return chain on the gt10 for any given patch, and with send/return turned on..

haven't tried using the 1/4 output for it myself yet will have to get an extra cable and let you know later :P
I think you want a G Major.
Effects on par/better than the GT 10, PLUS 4 relays for controlling anything on your amp that has an external switching jack. No amp models though.
EDIT: You can set the GT up for both the things you mentioned, but the clean channel stomp will actually be a cnannel A/B stomp. Hit it twice, it goes back to the dirty channel. Its a switcher rather than a dedicated channel selector.

I dont recommend 4CM with a GT-10 though. Amp models really arent that good, even though the FX are plain awesome.

A POD HD500/RP1000/Tonelab (whichever one is the 500 dollar one) in 4CM with your 5150 would be a better choice if you plan to use amp sims. Much more organic and less digital than Boss's COSM models.
Use your 5150's distortion channel and a clean tone from the pedal.
EDIT2: If the 5150 has two ext switching jacks, one per channel Recto style, then what will happen is that you can change your channel only once. Hitting the change channel switch on the GT a second time wont do anything. Will work only if your amp has one jack for both channels.
Does the 5150 have something like this?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 5, 2011,
The 5150 only has 2 channels, probably why it has a 1/4" remote switch jack in the first place.

What is the clean channel stomp? Would/could that be assigned to ctl 1 or 2?

I agree that the HD500 sounds better, it has more patch stomps which is the biggest thing that allures me (does the GT-10 really only have 4 possible patches at a time?) The only thing is that I'm not getting any indication/info that the HD500 can do what I need, as far as programming simultaneous channel switching into patches. If it can do that, as well as somehow bypass my preamp in any given patch like funeralllllllll said the GT-10 can do, then I will hands down go for an HD500. I just haven't read anything indicating it can do that. I don't even think it has a 1/4" jack for channel switching.

EDIT: If it helps, here's the backs of each unit in question:
GT-10
Pod HD500

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
The 5150 only has 2 channels, probably why it has a 1/4" remote switch jack in the first place.

What is the clean channel stomp? Would/could that be assigned to ctl 1 or 2?

I agree that the HD500 sounds better, it has more patch stomps which is the biggest thing that allures me (does the GT-10 really only have 4 possible patches at a time?) The only thing is that I'm not getting any indication/info that the HD500 can do what I need, as far as programming simultaneous channel switching into patches. If it can do that, as well as somehow bypass my preamp in any given patch like funeralllllllll said the GT-10 can do, then I will hands down go for an HD500. I just haven't read anything indicating it can do that. I don't even think it has a 1/4" jack for channel switching.

EDIT: If it helps, here's the backs of each unit in question:
GT-10
Pod HD500

With the GT you can-
Set up a patch change to short the 5150's jack and change a channel.
This can backfire live though, as the 5150 has only one jack.
Say-
P1- patch change with channel change, dirty channel on 5150
P2- Clean channel on 5150
P3- No patch changing, still 5150;s dirty channel.

P1 to P2 will work, and vice versa.
BUT going from p3 to P1 will result in a channel change when you dont want one.

Yes, you can assign the channel shift to be on the CTL pedals.

THere iare a pair of bank select stomps, so you can scroll through the entire memory with them on the fly with one stomp on the bank select, then one on the main stomps.
EDIT: The HD500 doesnt have any relays.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 5, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
With the GT you can-
Set up a patch change to short the 5150's jack and change a channel.
This can backfire live though, as the 5150 has only one jack.
Say-
P1- patch change with channel change, dirty channel on 5150
P2- Clean channel on 5150
P3- No patch changing, still 5150;s dirty channel.

P1 to P2 will work, and vice versa.
BUT going from p3 to P1 will result in a channel change when you dont want one.

Yes, you can assign the channel shift to be on the CTL pedals.

THere iare a pair of bank select stomps, so you can scroll through the entire memory with them on the fly with one stomp on the bank select, then one on the main stomps.

I see. Well, say I have P1 set up for my main dirty tone, that I use 80% of the time or whatever, and P2 for my main clean tone... could I then set up P3 and P4 to be effects changes, without assigning them a channel change? Or would that not work?

And I think I understand what you're saying - you can assign a generic channel change, but it's not smart - assigning that will simply change the channel from whatever it's currently on, right?

Also good to know about the bank scrolling, I see that now. But won't that disable the looper? Or is the bank/looper switched between through the toe switch on the exp pedal or something?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I see. Well, say I have P1 set up for my main dirty tone, that I use 80% of the time or whatever, and P2 for my main clean tone... could I then set up P3 and P4 to be effects changes, without assigning them a channel change? Or would that not work?

And I think I understand what you're saying - you can assign a generic channel change, but it's not smart - assigning that will simply change the channel from whatever it's currently on, right?

Also good to know about the bank scrolling, I see that now. But won't that disable the looper? Or is the bank/looper switched between through the toe switch on the exp pedal or something?

Yep. Drawback of having a single jack. So you'll have to be careful about changing patches live.

Ok, I dunno about the looper I didnt even know the GT has one
See the online manual if you can use the looper by hitting one of the ctl buttons? IIRC those are manually assignable.

Are you sure the 5150 has only one channel change thing? If so, no matter what MFX you use, you're still stuck with a "dumb" switcher.

ANyone here know any mods that can add a second ext switching jack? That and a G Major would be pretty much perfect for your needs.
EDIT: Yeah and what you said would work. Its just that everytime you hit a patch with a channel change programmed it will change the channel.
Ie hit P1 twice, you'll have whatever effects you set up but the 5150 would change channels anyway.

Basically, external relays like that work like this- look at that image I posted above. Thats the rear end of a Mark IV. WHen using a pedal with relays, say you want to use channel 3. And the pedals Relay 3 is connecte to it. So when you want to change to it, it sends a large surge of electricity through it, shorting it. This causes the channel change to 3. But on something like the Mark, each channel/feauture has its own relay.
The 5150, from what you said, shorting it once will go to the clean channel and shortnig it a second time will go to the dirty.

IIRC you use the rhythm channel's crunch mode right? That would explain why you dont want to go 4CM and just bypass it.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 6, 2011,
I don't really use the crunch at all anymore. Just lead and clean. I would use the crunch though, if crunch was a footswitchable feature. But it's only on the footswitch for the 5150 II/6505+.

The main reason I don't really want to bypass, is that I want to feel like I'm using my amp for as large a percent of my tone as I can, rather than just using a digital unit. I just want the digital FX, and even more than that I just want the ease of applying multiple FX/changing channels at once, and not break my neck tapdancing all over the place during a gig.

I'm positive the 5150 only has a single channel select jack. Do you think I should sell my 5150 and invest in a 5150 II/6505+ head? For the sake of having the midi channel switch? Or would that still not really help me, since it doesn't have individual channel jacks?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't really use the crunch at all anymore. Just lead and clean. I would use the crunch though, if crunch was a footswitchable feature. But it's only on the footswitch for the 5150 II/6505+.

The main reason I don't really want to bypass, is that I want to feel like I'm using my amp for as large a percent of my tone as I can, rather than just using a digital unit. I just want the digital FX, and even more than that I just want the ease of applying multiple FX/changing channels at once, and not break my neck tapdancing all over the place during a gig.

I'm positive the 5150 only has a single channel select jack. Do you think I should sell my 5150 and invest in a 5150 II/6505+ head? For the sake of having the midi channel switch? Or would that still not really help me, since it doesn't have individual channel jacks?

You'll end up with a very different sounding jack, thoough the MIDI feature would help as its "smart" unlike a channel relay. Both the GT and the POD support MIDI.
I would take the POD over the GT personally.

I still think clean tones from a POD HD through the 5150 poweramp will sound a lot better than the cleans on the amp's preamp.
See Tom 1.0's POD thread.
Ultimately, try it out. Do whatever sounds the best for you.
EDIT: You never mentioned your budget or location.
Im assuming its 600 and youre in the SF Bay area.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/2420984641.html
THIS.
NOW NOW NOW.
Stick your amp's preamp in 4CM with the Eleven, use it's cleans/non 5150' type tones, and the FCB's relays.

Youre set for life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJCqwf2Joc
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jun 6, 2011,