So, here's the deal. I have a Michael Kelly Patriot Glory and I'm thinking about doing a pickup change. Nothing's wrong with the guitar, I like the sound. I just kind of want a bit of a change. But I don't really know anything about pickups. Could anybody suggest some?

Here's what I would like.

Good cleans, sounds great distorted. Perhaps a kind of creamy lead tone, if you know what I mean?

Also do the big pickup companies have different specialties or different sounds they specialize in?

I play punk rock mostly, with and without distortion. Also play some quieter strum along stuff.
Last edited by GloriousCarso at Jun 3, 2011,
A couple common sets from Seymour Duncan are the Custom (bridge) and Jazz (neck), and the JB (bridge) and '59 (neck). Either of these sets can cover a wide range of musical styles.

Custom/Jazz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp41apEmYSU

JB/59:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qThYBekaAw&feature=related

Neither of these are my videos, so I apologize if they're crap :-) But at a quick listen they seem to illustrate these pickups pretty decently. I think either of these sets would suit you pretty well. Since you said you play punk rock I'd lean towards the JB/59 set. The JB has a more trebly output than the Custom, and I think that might be better for your style. plus the '59 is such a sweet sounding neck pickup. You'd definitely get some creamy lead tones with that one (although the Jazz is no slouch either).

Also, check out the Seymour Duncan website. They have audio samples of most of their pickups. That might help you even more.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
yeah, the jb/59 set is a great option. there's a reason its the most popular aftermarket set out there.

really, no one company specializes in one style of music or another. certainly, there are companies that lean one way or another, but its not like there are major companies who only make pickups for hillbilly jazz or something like that

all that being said, the rockfields in your patriot are pretty good. they maybe don't have the best cleans ever, but they're pretty reasonable. what sort of amp do you play? maybe a good overdrive pedal is what you need to change up your sound
I dont know what you mean when you say punk, so Ill just assume you mean what I would mean when I say punk...

for that Id say an SD Invader in the bridge with either a 59 or pearly gates in the neck, for your creamy lead and strum along stuff
I recommend the SD Custom 5/ Pearly Gates combo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
What's your amp? That's the most important thing. A pickup like an Alnico II Pro can sound smooth and jazzy in a Fender Twin Reverb but it can sound heavy and cutting through a Marshall JCM2000. EMG pickups can sound really good for country through a Vox but are the ultimate heavy metal pickup through a Mesa boogie.
Quote by grohl1987
What's your amp? That's the most important thing. A pickup like an Alnico II Pro can sound smooth and jazzy in a Fender Twin Reverb but it can sound heavy and cutting through a Marshall JCM2000. EMG pickups can sound really good for country through a Vox but are the ultimate heavy metal pickup through a Mesa boogie.

+1 People from 1987 always give good advice
If you want a creamy tone then just turn one of your humbuckers upside-down to put them out of phase and play with both activated.

As a general rule, if you don't know anything about something then it's best to keep your money in your pocket for now to research in detail for what you actually want.

If you like the tone a certain artist or player has just go check out their pickup configuration and look for tone demos and bench tests on Youtube.
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR
LTD EC1000 FR
LTD H1007 FR

Bass
ESP Surveyor

Line 6 Pod HD500

Wanted: ESP XJ-6, ESP Classic 400 Strat/Tele or ESP Traditional Series Strat/Tele

Dig Symphonic Metal or Visual Kei < Click.
Quote by Beauty/Broken
As a general rule, if you don't know anything about something then it's best to keep your money in your pocket for now to research in detail for what you actually want.

This. Read up, sonny boy.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by 57Goldtop
A couple common sets from Seymour Duncan are the Custom (bridge) and Jazz (neck), and the JB (bridge) and '59 (neck). Either of these sets can cover a wide range of musical styles.

Custom/Jazz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp41apEmYSU

JB/59:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qThYBekaAw&feature=related

Neither of these are my videos, so I apologize if they're crap :-) But at a quick listen they seem to illustrate these pickups pretty decently. I think either of these sets would suit you pretty well. Since you said you play punk rock I'd lean towards the JB/59 set. The JB has a more trebly output than the Custom, and I think that might be better for your style. plus the '59 is such a sweet sounding neck pickup. You'd definitely get some creamy lead tones with that one (although the Jazz is no slouch either).

Also, check out the Seymour Duncan website. They have audio samples of most of their pickups. That might help you even more.

Thanks for the tip, looks pretty good.

And to everyone else. This is part of my research phase, you can all rest safe knowing my money is staying firmly in my pocket for now.

Also, I have a Roland Cube 40x. And I use a boss ds1 distortion pedal. And before anyone comments, I actually really like the distortion I get from it.

And yeah, the Rockfields I have are good, but I'd prefer something with a littler higher output. And plus, I'm kind of just curious about the whole new pickup operation in general because I've never done it before. I mean, sure, I could get a new amp (even though I just bought it a couple of months ago), but I've done that before. I want to start thinking about other options.

Also, to end the q & a section of this post; in regards to what kind of punk I play. I don't actually play other people's songs very much. So trying to achieve the guitar tone in a song I like isn't really something I care about. I mostly just play my own songs, and was just describing the kind of things I'd want to do. So in other words, I'm kind of searching for my own voice on guitar.

Thanks to everyone, you've been very helpful. Also, any more suggestions would be awesome.
Output means little to nothing with a solid state amp and a solid state distortion pedal. If anything more output will just make your tone fuzzier and muddier. Worry about output when you're using a tube amp.

You're also not going to get a "creamy lead tone" with that amp and pedal. Solid state amps and pedals always have a bright, cutting edge to them. This is why they're pretty popular in thrash metal and industrial music but you'll almost never see solid state products used for blues and classic rock. You could put the warmest pickup in the world in your amp, add a thick lower-mid boost with an EQ pedal and your tone will still sound fairly bright with harsh treble. Getting solid state equipment to sound smooth is pretty much unheard of outside of a few really high quality $1,000+ tube/ss hybrid amps.

If you're searching for your own "voice" then the best thing you can do is go to some stores and try gear out. Take a notebook with you and write down both what you do like and what you don't like. Try everything, not just whatever brand name sticks out. Try every combination of gear too, don't just use one guitar or one amp. Pick up three guitars and three amps and try every combination of them. When you're done, go online and look up every manufacturer's page. Look up all the stuff you liked, compare the specs and see if there are any similarities between them. Then look up the stuff you didn't like and see if you can spot any consistent themes with them too. Then you'll be halfway to knowing what specs you like and what you don't. The internet can not teach you a fraction as much as your own ears and experience can.
yeah, as mentioned above, hotter pickups won't help that set-up.

you simply cannot push a solid-state amp into greater saturation (thats what high-output pickups do) because it is nearly impossible, given the design.
Quote by grohl1987
Output means little to nothing with a solid state amp and a solid state distortion pedal. If anything more output will just make your tone fuzzier and muddier. Worry about output when you're using a tube amp.

You're also not going to get a "creamy lead tone" with that amp and pedal. Solid state amps and pedals always have a bright, cutting edge to them. This is why they're pretty popular in thrash metal and industrial music but you'll almost never see solid state products used for blues and classic rock. You could put the warmest pickup in the world in your amp, add a thick lower-mid boost with an EQ pedal and your tone will still sound fairly bright with harsh treble. Getting solid state equipment to sound smooth is pretty much unheard of outside of a few really high quality $1,000+ tube/ss hybrid amps.

If you're searching for your own "voice" then the best thing you can do is go to some stores and try gear out. Take a notebook with you and write down both what you do like and what you don't like. Try everything, not just whatever brand name sticks out. Try every combination of gear too, don't just use one guitar or one amp. Pick up three guitars and three amps and try every combination of them. When you're done, go online and look up every manufacturer's page. Look up all the stuff you liked, compare the specs and see if there are any similarities between them. Then look up the stuff you didn't like and see if you can spot any consistent themes with them too. Then you'll be halfway to knowing what specs you like and what you don't. The internet can not teach you a fraction as much as your own ears and experience can.

Cool lecture. I asked for pickups, not the usual amp spiel.

At least one of you figured that out. But I got what I needed.