The best he or she can be and sound. Awsome. If u were to pass on advice to another guitar player what would u say? Pref lead.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
playing fast does not mean you're are playing well.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Great phrasing. A great lead guitar player should be able to tell a story with there solo, portraying all the emotion to the maximum, with out over doing it or sounding cheesy. They should be able to build an emotional connection between their playing and the audience. I believe the biggest thing needed here is great phrasing.

But no one tool will work, they have to know what notes to use and why those notes work, they have to know when to play the phrase and when to rest. Rests and pauses can be very powerful to.
Best advice I ever received was to go buy a electronic Metronome/Tuner. Best $15 I ever spent.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
There is no such thing as lead, or rhythm, only notes. Practice in a manner which allows you to progress towards playing the melodies in your head and you are well on your way to becoming a ''good'' guitar player.

YMMV.
Love the guitar and everything else will follow.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
The ability to listen, and listen well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you're truly serious about becoming a great guitarist, get a good teacher. In the long run, a killer teacher is invaluable. When you compare the advantages of having a good formal guitar education against those of a self-taught education, they're night and day in terms of quality. When you try to go about learning technique and theory by yourself, especially the latter, you're setting yourself up for a considerably sharper learning curve than you'd encounter with a good teacher. Too much guitarists attempt to learn proper technique by their selves and end up forming a ton of bad habits that they have to go back and work out of their technique. Relearning your technique is a true pain and a problem that you should want to spare yourself. The feedback and criticism that a good teacher will provide will pretty much eliminate the risk of forming bad technical habits if you actually follow the advice. Plus, besides all the technical stuff, there's a lot of motivation that will come from studying with a great teacher and listening to their stories, finding out about new artists and getting complimented for your progress.
Being able to listen, especially to yourself. Too often do I see a guitarist who thinks they are amazing at guitar, yet their playing sounds like crap.
I love guitar. Im gonna go back and take lessons. One thing i need to do is learn fret board. Anyother pointers?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Get a metronome and learn how to use it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.