I have just soldered on a new 1/4" input jack on to my epiphone les paul as it's input was crackly and unpredictable and I have a big gig to play tomorrow. However, I've screwed it up and I don't know how.

I desoldered that old input jack, then soldered the old wires on to the new input jack. Upon testing it, there is some kind of ground problem, it hums and when I touch any metal on the guitar is hums louder. Any help?

Also, when I pushed the new input into the guitar (was a squeeze) it stopped producing sound all together.

Please reply asap with any help you have
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
I'm having a similar problem on a strat. It could be the wiring, or you could have wired it backwards. If the cable touches a wire it won't work.
Pretty sure none of the connections are touching, nor does the jack lead's tip hit a connection. I'm pretty sure I put the connections in the right place because I soldered it on one by one.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Lol they were the wrong way round -.-
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Isn't the jack on a guitar an output jack? Since the signal leaves the guitar? =P

Sorry, that popped into my head when I saw the title.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
make sure the ground wire is on the inner most lug on the jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The good news is that you didn't have to re wire the guitar. LPs are a bit harder because the wiring is inside the body it's self. The strat is an easy guitar to work on, I'm just too lazy to do it.
i think i have the same problem with my strat, a lot of hum and a little bit of guitar sound and if you touch the metal it stops. (how) did you solve it?
Quote by Zonwuka
i think i have the same problem with my strat, a lot of hum and a little bit of guitar sound and if you touch the metal it stops. (how) did you solve it?

check the two wires to the jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011