going direct into my computer with my guitar sounds sooooo compressed, especially on overdrive, theres just no dynamics to record with, what can i do about this?
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Thread title had me expecting a discussion on downward expanders... instead it's anoter repeat question.TS, I r disappoint!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
its a repeat? im newish to this recording thing, so i dont understand neither how it is a repeat nor how what impulses is?
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
An expander is exactly that - the opposite of a compressor. Whereas a compressor evens out the dynamics, bringing the louder parts down a bit and the quiet parts up a bit, giving you less dynamic range, an expander makes the louder parts louder and the quieter parts quieter, giving you more dynamic range.

You can almost think of a noise gate as a downward expander set to turn the quieter parts down entirely.

@criche6505 - also consider using less gain. Adding gain takes a lot of the attack off of the notes. Look at a waveform of a guitar with lots of distortion. It just looks like a fuzzy caterpillar - very little dynamic range. Now look at a vocal track, or better yet, a snare drum track. You'll see lots of peaks and valleys. By using less gain on the guitars, you'll get more definition of sound and articulation of notes. You'll also get more punch.

I like to think of punch as something that lives in the space around the recording. It needs air to breathe.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by FireHawk
what exactly is a downward expander (i assume the opposite of compressor) and does it work....can it be used for cool sounds making? lol

CT pretty much nailed it well before I checked this thread again, but yeah it's basically a device that tries to increase the dynamic range between the louder and quieter parts of a song by lowering the volume of the noise floor.

It can be used to give the impression that a recording was tracked at 24-Bit, due to the seemingly low noisefloor and high dynamic range, however they aren't quite the same because a real 24-Bit recording would have the same dynamic range but without the volume of the recording being smeared by the downward expansion process (in other words, a 24-Bit recording would have the true volume of the tracking, with the large headroom coming from the larger dynamic range of 24-Bit recording over 16-Bit, whereas a 16-Bit recording recorded hot with compression and then expanded would sound different because the expansion process cannot workout what compression was done to the peaks and simply lower the volume and restore the peaks... if that makes sense).

The only real problem with downward expansion is, like I just mentioned, despite it's effectiveness at restoring dynamic range to a recording, it can't properly act as an 'undo button' to compression, because once you've compressed a signal and bounced it (which is effectively what the expander would see if placed later in the chain after compression) you can only guess at what a flattened peak originally was (as a human, if you were to try and program a downward expander to undo compression on peaks) based on ratio of compression, amount of visible waveform distortion/length in samples of any clipping relative to the frequency of that waveform... and obviously that's very complicated, especially as most waveforms of recorded sound are a lot more complex in shape than a sine wave!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.